This Aloo Ki Sabji or Aloo Tamatar Sabji is a potato gravy preparation made with tomatoes and some spices. This specific dish doesn’t have onion, garlic or heavy spices and thus a satvik recipe. With minimal elements, Aloo Tamatar ki Sabji may be very easy and simple to organize, and makes for the proper meals on any day together with the Hindu fasting days (vrat). The recipe can also be vegan.
About Aloo ki Sabji
There’s hardly anytime you can go fallacious with both potatoes, tomatoes or a mix of each. Particularly in Indian delicacies, these 2 greens are the best to work with, but make for amazingly scrumptious dishes. At dwelling as properly, the pairing like on this Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji makes for a comforting dish.
I’ve mentioned this in my different posts, however I’m going to reiterate – it’s virtually a important state of affairs at dwelling, if there isn’t a aloo or tamatar in my vegetable tray. Whether or not different veggies are there or no, these two should be there all the time. Like, actually all the time! And the best manner I can convey these 2 collectively in a dish is that this Aloo Tamatar Sabzi.
Additionally, whether or not I’m retaining a quick or not, I typically make this Aloo ki Sabji for my household. The truth that it’s a fancy free, low on spices and light-weight curry is what makes it particular. Typically, you could have days whenever you simply wish to eat a curry, however a soothing one. And never the standard wealthy one. These days, this Aloo Tamatar Sabzi is a savior.
I’m saying this once more, a potato or aloo is a really pleasant and helpful vegetable, particularly for dwelling cooks. This root vegetable is sweet by itself or in firm with different veggies/leafy greens like inexperienced peas, tomatoes, carrots, spinach, cauliflower, beans, fenugreek leaves, capsicum and extra.
Often, I make this Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji with pooris and infrequently as a breakfast. However, for that arrange, I have a tendency so as to add onion and garlic in it. For the reason that recipe on this specific put up is devoted to Navratri fasting, I’ve made the recipe with out onion, garlic and spiced it simply with cumin, crimson chili powder and black pepper powder.
So, whenever you make the Aloo Tamatar ki Sabji this manner, you’ll be able to serve and relish it with comparable vrat pleasant accompaniments like Vrat Ki Roti, Singhare Ki Poori, Rajgira Paratha or Rajgire Ki Poori. I even have one other potato-based dish apt to your fasts, referred to as the Vrat Ke Aloo, which is equally tasty.
How you can make Aloo ki Sabji
Cook dinner Potatoes
1. Pour 1.25 to 1.5 cups water in a 2-liter stovetop stress cooker or pan. Rinse properly in water a number of instances and add the two medium-sized potatoes and a few edible rock salt (sendha namak).
Boil the potatoes for two to three whistles on medium-heat. The potatoes needs to be simply cooked. They need to not grow to be crumbly or mushy.
Let the stress drop naturally within the cooker, then solely open the lid. Take away the cooked potatoes and put aside to chill.
2. Let the potatoes cool barely or grow to be heat. Peel and chop them.
3. Preserve all of the elements prepared for making Aloo Tamatar Sabzi.
Make Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji
4. Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. You may also swap the oil with ghee in the event you desire.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and allow them to splutter on low warmth.
6. Then, add 4 medium sized chopped tomatoes – about 2 cups of finely chopped tomatoes.
7. Sauté until they grow to be mushy stirring typically on medium-low to medium warmth.
8. Proceed to sauté the tomatoes until they soften and grow to be pulpy.
9. Then, add ¼ teaspoon crimson chilli powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and edible rock salt as required. You may also add common salt if not making for fasting.
10. Stir and blend properly to mix.
11. Add the chopped boiled potatoes and stir to combine once more.
12. Add 1 cup of water.
13. Stir and let the gravy prepare dinner on low warmth for 7 to eight minutes or until it thickens barely.
14. Barely mash a number of potato items with a spoon to assist in thickening the gravy.
15. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve Aloo Tamatar ki Sabji scorching or heat together with your most popular flatbread like roti or paratha or puri.
Please make sure you price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Aloo ki Sabji | Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji
Aloo ki Sabji or Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji is a straightforward to make evenly spiced gravy that includes potatoes, tomatoes, a number of spices and herbs. A satvik recipe made with out onion and garlic.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 10 minutes
Whole Time 30 minutes
Take 1.25 to 1.5 cups water in a 2 litre stress cooker or stress pan. Add 2 potatoes and the salt. Boil the potatoes on medium warmth for two to three whistles.
Let the stress drop naturally within the cooker, then solely open the lid.
The potatoes needs to be simply cooked. They need to not grow to be crumbly or mushy.
Take away the potatoes and put aside on a plate to chill.
Let the potatoes grow to be heat or calm down barely.
Then peel the and cube them.
Making aloo ki sabji
Warmth the oil or ghee in a pan.
Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle on low warmth.
Then add finely chopped tomatoes.
Sauté until they grow to be mushy and mushy, stirring typically on medium-low to medium warmth.
You will note the oil leaving the edges as soon as the tomatoes have cooked utterly.
Subsequent add crimson chili powder, black pepper and salt as required. Combine properly.
Add the chopped potatoes and stir to combine once more.
Add 1 cup water.
Stir to combine properly. Let the gravy prepare dinner for 7 to eight minutes or extra on a low warmth, until it thickens barely.
Mash a number of potato items with a spoon to assist in thickening of the gravy.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve the Aloo ki Sabji scorching or heat together with your most popular breads like roti, paratha or poori.
- For those who desire, you’ll be able to prepare dinner the potatoes extra. So as a substitute of chopping, you’ll be able to crumble them and add to the sautéed tomatoes.
- Alter the seasonings as wanted based on your style preferences.
- For those who like, add some onion, garlic and ginger to the gravy base.
- You may also add some inexperienced chillies. Since this recipe is for vrat or Hindu fasting, I’ve not add many spices to it.
- This recipe could be simply scaled.
Aloo ki Sabji | Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 184 Energy from Fats 45
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.4g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Vitamin A 1437IU29%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 3mg15%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 51mg62%
Vitamin E 3mg20%
Vitamin Ok 17µg16%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 48µg12%
* % Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Aloo ki Sabji from the archives first printed in October 2013 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.Source