Aloo Kulcha is a leavened Indian flatbread with a tender and crispy texture, full of spiced mashed potatoes. Aloo Kulcha recipe is from thePunjabi delicacies and highly regarded in Delhi in addition to some elements of North India. Historically, Aloo Kulcha is cooked in a tandoor or clay oven. However you possibly can simply cook dinner it on a skillet (tawa). Whereas cooking, it’s usually brushed with ghee or butter and at last savored with sturdy Indian curries. Chole or spicy chickpea curry with Kulcha is the quintessential mixture within the Indian meals scene.
What’s Aloo Kulcha
In Hindi, the time period Aloo stands for potatoes and Kulcha is an leavened flatbread constructed from all-purpose flour. Merely put collectively the phrases Aloo Kulcha imply a leavened tender flatbread full of a savory and spiced mashed potato filling.
For the reason that day I attempted the fab aloo kulcha served at a close-by Punjabi dhaba (roadside eatery), I’ve been a fan of it. One chunk and I obtained so impressed that I needed to strive the Aloo Kulcha recipe at residence.
This recipe is thus a results of that. The bottom kulcha and potato stuffing recipes on this have been tailored from my household recipe of Aloo Paratha.
Do observe that each Aloo Kulcha and Aloo Paratha are totally different recipes. Aloo Kulcha is made with leavened all-purpose flour dough and Aloo Paratha is made with unleavened entire wheat flour dough. So the style and texture is totally different and never the identical.
There are numerous variations to the unique plain Kulcha recipe as effectively. Right here, you’ll find some variations like:
Typically, the restaurant and dhabas have an Aloo Kulcha recipe which has refined or all-purpose flour (maida). However I’ve added each entire wheat flour (atta) and all-purpose flour in equal portions.
If you happen to plan to make use of solely entire wheat flour, then you definately’ll find yourself having a texture and style much like that of an aloo paratha. The spice within the potato stuffing will be adjusted based on your style. You possibly can add some inexperienced chilies for a spicier model of this Aloo Kulcha recipe.
How one can make Aloo Kulcha
1. In a mixing bowl take the next listed elements:
- 1 cup entire wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt or as required
2. Add 2 tablespoons recent yogurt (curd) and three teaspoons of oil. Use any impartial and flavorless oil.
3. Evenly combine every part with a spoon or together with your fingers.
4. Add water. I added ⅔ cup water in elements, you possibly can add from ½ to ⅔ cup water.
Needless to say the amount of water you could add will rely on the standard and texture of the flours. So, add as wanted to make a tender and pliable dough.
5. Combine after which start to knead.
6. Knead to a easy, pliable and tender dough.
7. Cowl the dough and preserve apart for two hours ( I stored for 1 hour and 48 minutes).
Make Potato Stuffing
8. In the meantime, steam or boil 4 to five potatoes (about 300 to 350 grams) until they’re cooked by means of utterly.
You possibly can boil the potatoes including water as wanted in a pan on the stove-top, prompt pot or a stove-top strain cooker. You too can peel and cube the potatoes and steam them in a steamer pan.
9. Peel and mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
10. Add the next spices and herbs:
- 1 teaspoon chopped inexperienced chilies
- ½ teaspoon pink chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried mango powder (amchur powder)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
11. Combine the spices and herbs within the mashed potatoes very effectively. Test the style and add extra of the salt, inexperienced chilies and dried mango powder if required.
12. After resting the dough for 2 hours, calmly knead the dough once more.
Assemble and Stuff Aloo Kulcha
13. Make medium sized balls from the dough.
14. Sprinkle some entire wheat flour on the rolling board and on the dough ball.
15. With a rolling pin, roll it right into a disc or circle of 5 to six inches diameter.
16. Place some potato stuffing within the middle, preserve 1 to 1.5 inches house everywhere in the circumference.
17. Deliver the perimeters collectively and pinch them to affix on the middle.
18. Press the joined edges and sprinkle some sesame seeds on it. Press the sesame seeds together with your fingers or very calmly with the rolling pin in order that they persist with the dough.
Including sesame seeds is non-compulsory. I made the aloo kulcha, each with and with out sesame seeds.
19. Sprinkle some flour.
20. Flip over and sprinkle some sesame seeds right here too. Sprinkle a little bit of flour once more. That is an non-compulsory step.
21. Gently roll out to a big disc of about 7 to eight inches in diameter dusting with flour as wanted.
Cook dinner Aloo Kulcha on Tawa
22. On a sizzling tawa or skillet, gently place the stuffed kulcha. Preserve the warmth to medium-high or excessive.
23. Flip the aloo kulcha with a spatula when one aspect is partially cooked. You will note faint golden spots on this calmly cooked aspect.
24. Unfold some ghee (clarified butter) or oil on this aspect. The quantity of ghee or oil to be added, relies upon upon you. You possibly can both add much less or extra or skip it as effectively.
25. Flip once more.
26. Now unfold some ghee or oil on this aspect too.
27. Flip once more and you will notice each the edges with brown or golden spots.
28. Press the perimeters with a spatula to make sure that they’re cooked.
29. Flip a few times to make sure even roasting and cooking.
30. Here’s a cooked Aloo Kulcha with out sesame seeds.
31. Place the aloo kulcha in a roti basket.
32. Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of butter and unfold it with a butter knife or spoon. Put together all of the kulcha and stack them up this manner. I assemble, roll the kulcha and roast them concurrently.
33. After making every kulcha, wipe the tawa with a cotton kitchen towel to eliminate the browned or burnt flour particles.
34. You too can serve Aloo Kulcha straightaway from the skillet or pan to the plate. Serve these sizzling or heat with butter, curd, mango pickle, inexperienced peas curry or chana masala.
How one can serve Aloo Kulcha
For serving, I selected to pair my Aloo Kulcha with recent home made yogurt (curd). Different accompaniments that basically go effectively with this kulcha are clearly Peshawari Chole, Dal Makhani, Dal Bukhara or simply mango pickle.
However don’t be stunned in case you discover your family members having this Aloo Kulcha all by itself. It’s so tasty that you simply don’t really want something with it! This tender Aloo Kulcha can be good on your child’s tiffin field. You’ll know this when they are going to return with empty containers!
- Whereas making the dough, the quantity of water to be added is determined by the standard of the flours. So, add accordingly. It’s worthwhile to make a easy, tender and pliable dough.
- To organize the potatoes for stuffing, you possibly can cook dinner the potatoes in a steamer or strain cooker or prompt pot. To mash the peeled potatoes, you should utilize a fork too. Make sure that to mash the potatoes very well.
- You possibly can decide to substitute baking soda within the recipe by swapping it with ¼ to ½ teaspoon baking powder.
- Within the potato stuffing, substitutes for dried mango powder (amchur powder) are dried pomegranate seeds powder (anardana powder), lime juice or chaat masala. You possibly can add about ½ to 1 teaspoon of dried pomegranate seeds powder or ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder. Lime juice will be added as per your style. There needs to be only a faint bitter style or tang within the stuffing.
- Make sure that to wipe the tawa with a cotton kitchen towel after making every kulcha. This helps eliminating burnt flour particles.
- This can be a vegetarian recipe. However you possibly can even make it vegan by skipping the yogurt or utilizing a plant-based yogurts like almond or cashew yogurt, and roasting the kulcha in oil as a substitute of ghee.
Sure, these will be ready and refrigerated to retailer in a single day. Make sure that to retailer in an hermetic metal field. Unfold some oil on prime of the dough.
Sure, you should utilize fruit salt (Eno) as a substitute of baking soda and entire wheat flour (atta) rather than all-purpose flour (maida).
Baking soda is used on this recipe as a result of it helps in leavening.
Be sure that the potatoes are mashed effectively and you aren’t overstuffing the kulcha. Whereas rolling, make sure that to roll into thick to medium-thick discs. If these are skinny, then the stuffing tends to return out.
Paratha is an unleavened flatbread and kulcha is a leavened flatbread. Historically, kulcha are made in a tandoor or clay oven and baked plain kulcha with none stuffing will be saved for a lot of days.
Aloo Kulcha is a crisp and tender leavened flatbread full of a spiced mashed potato filling. The dish is from the North Indian delicacies and could be very well-liked in Delhi in addition to Punjab.
Prep Time 40 minutes
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Dough Resting Time 2 hrs
Complete Time 3 hrs 10 minutes
- In a mixing bowl take entire wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, 1 teaspoon sugar and ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt or as required.
- Add curd (yogurt) and oil.
- Evenly combine every part with a spoon or together with your fingers.
- Add water. I added ⅔ cup of water in elements. The quantity of water to be added is determined by the standard of the flours. So, add accordingly.
- Combine after which start to knead.
- Knead to a easy, pliable and tender dough. Cowl the dough and preserve apart for two hours.
Making potato stuffing
- In the meantime, steam or boil the potatoes till they’re cooked by means of utterly. You possibly can cook dinner the potatoes in a steamer or strain cooker or within the prompt pot.
- Peel and mash the potatoes with a potato masher. You too can use a fork to mash the potatoes or grate them first and mash later.
- Add the chopped inexperienced chilies, pink chili powder, dried mango powder, garam masala powder and coriander leaves.
- Combine the spices and herbs within the mashed potatoes very effectively. Test the style and add extra of the salt, inexperienced chilies and dried mango powder if required.
Assembling and rolling aloo kulcha
- After two hours calmly knead the dough once more.
- Make medium sized balls from the kulcha dough.
- Sprinkle some entire wheat flour on the rolling board and on the dough ball.
- With a rolling pin, roll it right into a disc or circle of 5 to six inches diameter.
- Place some potato stuffing within the middle, preserve 1 inch house everywhere in the circumference.
- Deliver the perimeters collectively and pinch to affix them on the middle.
- Press the joined edges and sprinkle some sesame seeds on prime. Press the sesame seeds together with your fingers or very calmly with the rolling pin in order that they persist with the dough.
- Sprinkle some flour. Including sesame seeds is non-compulsory. You possibly can skip them.
- Gently roll to a big disc of about 7 to eight inches in diameter.
Cooking aloo kulcha
- On a sizzling tawa or skillet, gently place the stuffed kulcha. Preserve warmth to medium-high or excessive.
- Flip over when one aspect is partially cooked. You’ll mild golden spots on this aspect. Additionally, unfold some ghee or oil on this aspect.
- The quantity of ghee or oil to be added, is determined by you. You possibly can both add much less or extra or skip it too.
- Flip once more and now unfold some ghee or oil on the second aspect. The second aspect shall be barely extra cooked than the primary aspect.
- Press the kulcha edges with a spatula to make sure that they’re cooked effectively with crispy golden spots on each the edges.
- Flip a few times to make sure even roasting and cooking.
- Place the kulcha in a roti basket.
- Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of softened butter and unfold it with a butter knife or spoon. Put together all of the aloo kulchas with the above technique and stack them up within the roti basket.
- After making every aloo kulcha, wipe the tawa with a cotton kitchen towel to eliminate the browned or burnt flour particles.
- You too can serve kulcha straightaway from the skillet to the plate. Serve these sizzling or heat with butter, curd, mango pickle, grean peas curry or chana masala.
- Baking soda – Use ¼ to ½ teaspoon baking powder as a substitute.
- Dry mango powder: Swap with dry pomegranate seeds powder (anardana powder), lime juice or chaat masala. You possibly can add about ½ to 1 teaspoon of dried pomegranate seeds powder. Lime juice will be added as per your style. There needs to be only a mild bitter style or tang within the potato stuffing.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 311 Energy from Fats 153
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 13g
Ldl cholesterol 1mg0%
Vitamin A 52IU1%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 14mg17%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 7mg47%
Vitamin Okay 3µg3%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 48µg12%
* % Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This aloo kulcha publish from the weblog archives first printed in January 2015 has been republished and up to date on 15 February 2022.