What’s an important factor in your favourite Masala Dosa? In fact, it’s the savory, spiced potato (or aloo) preparation or curry that’s the essence of the whole dish. So, this time I’ve obtained the loveliest recipe of the Aloo Masala for dosa that you just’ve been in search of and has restaurant type style and flavors. The Potato Masala may also be used as a filling to make yummy sandwiches, rolls and wraps as properly.
About This Potato Masala Recipe
Earlier than I share the nitty gritties of this Aloo Masala, let me share a variation too that I’ve of the identical dish – the Batata Bhaji.
Whereas it’s best to make use of an genuine and conventional recipe of the potato filling for Dosa, typically, you may experiment by stuffing your dosas with this different model too. You can even use this Potato Masala recipe as a facet together with your pooris. Strive it!
My recipe of creating this potato stuffing is a tried and examined one. I’ve additionally talked about about all of the doable variations on this recipe of the Aloo Masala. I’m telling you; you’re quickly going to be hooked on this model as properly.
It’s fairly a no brainer that masala dosa is a favourite breakfast or brunch dish at house. So, every time I put together the Dosa Batter, I additionally make Coconut Chutney and this Potato Masala to go together with the dosa.
Whereas the potatoes are steaming or boiling, I prep up the remainder of the elements for the Potato Masala. I additionally put together the chutney with the coconut. I often freeze the grated coconut. So, I simply should take the required amount and use it to make the chutney.
Extra On My Recipe
I add sliced onions to the Aloo Masala which impart a slight candy undertones to the preparation. I additionally add chana dal (husked and cut up Bengal gram).
Earlier than utilizing the lentils, I be sure that to soak them in scorching water for about ½ hour. This helps to melt the dal and after cooking too, the feel is mushy.
Nonetheless, on some events after I’m working out of time or don’t have time in hand in any respect, I add the chana dal straight within the tempering. This manner, a slight crunch is also retained within the lentil grains. You may select whichever technique fits you.
One other factor of selection that I add on events on this Potato Masala is steamed inexperienced peas. You may even skip the Bengal gram if you’re including inexperienced peas. Generally, I additionally add tomatoes to the aloo combination.
Under is the picture of the potato masala preparation made with inexperienced peas. When utilizing inexperienced peas, you both boil/steam them along with the potatoes or you may boil them individually.
As I additionally talked about earlier, you could attempt the mix of this Aloo Masala with poori or roti/phulka as properly, or use it for sandwiches and comparable dishes.
Learn how to make Potato Masala
1. First, boil water in a bowl or in an electrical heater or microwave. Take the new water in a bowl.
Rinse after which soak 2 tablespoons husked and cut up Bengal gram (chana dal) within the scorching water.
Cowl and maintain apart for half-hour. Later, drain all of the water with a small strainer and maintain the soaked lentils apart.
2. Subsequent, steam or boil 4 medium-sized potatoes in an electrical cooker, steamer or stress cooker. The potatoes must be totally cooked.
When you have boiled the potatoes, be sure that to empty all of the water from them. There shouldn’t be any water logged in them.
If you wish to add inexperienced peas to the preparation, then take about ⅓ to ½ cup of inexperienced peas and steam or boil it with the potatoes.
3. When heat, first peel the potatoes. Chop the potatoes into cubes and maintain apart.
Additionally put aside the spices and herbs you can be needing. Peel, rinse and thinly slice 1 massive onion. You will want about ¾ to 1 cup of sliced onions.
Make Potato Masala
4. Warmth 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan or a kadai and crackle 1 teaspoon mustard seeds in it.
5. Then, add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and fry until they splutter and alter colour.
6. Add the drained and soaked chana dal.
7. Fry chana dal for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the lentils change into gentle golden.
8. You can even add chana dal straight with out soaking them first. On this case, it’s a must to brown them as proven within the picture under.
9. Add 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger and sauté for half a minute.
10. Add 1 massive thinly sliced onion. Stir and sauté until the onions flip translucent and are softened.
11. Add 8 to 10 massive curry leaves, 1 or 2 chopped inexperienced chilies, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing). Stir and sauté for just a few seconds.
12. Then, add the boiled/steamed potato cubes. Season with salt as required and ½ teaspoon sugar.
Including sugar is optionally available and provided that you want a barely candy style within the potato filling.
13. Stir and add water. About ⅓ to ½ cup. The water makes the potato masala moist, mushy and never dry. That is an optionally available step.
14. When you like the feel of potatoes to be barely crisp and never delicate, then don’t add water. On this case, simply stir the potatoes and sauté for two to three minutes on low warmth. That is how the potatoes will seem when you don’t add water.
15. After including water, simmer the potato bhaji for 3 minutes on low warmth. Stir at intervals. Then, add some chopped coriander leaves. Stir once more.
16. Serve Potato Bhaji with dosa, butter rava dosa or rava uttapam. It additionally goes properly with poori, roti or as a filling for sandwich.
- Including sugar is completely your name. When you just like the slight sweetness within the dish, then add it or else skip it.
- Whereas cooking the aloo masala, add about ⅓ to ½ cup water. This may assist the potato masala to be mushy and moist, and never be dry. Though, that is optionally available.
- You may add some boiled or steamed inexperienced peas when you like. You may even add some tomatoes within the potato bhaji.
- Attempt to embrace chana dal, curry leaves, ginger, mustard seeds, onions, chillies and coriander leaves to get actually restaurant type taste on this dish.
- Alternatively, when you like the feel of potatoes barely crisp, don’t add the water.
- It is a versatile potato sabzi that you need to use for several types of dosas, have with uttapam or chapati or poori and even stuff in sandwiches, wraps, rolls or frankies.
Please you’ll want to fee this recipe within the recipe card under in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Aloo Masala | Potato Masala (For Dosa)
Aloo Masala or Potato Masala is a savory, mildly spiced potato preparation that’s served with Masala Dosa. Aside from dosa, this Potato Masala may also be used as a filling to make yummy sandwiches, rolls and wraps.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 50 minutes
First boil water in a bowl or in an electrical heater or microwave. Then rinse and soak the chana dal in it. Cowl and put aside for half-hour. Later drain all of the water and maintain the soaked lentils apart.
Rinse the potatoes in water. Then steam the potatoes with their peels intact, in an electrical cooker or steamer or stress cooker. The potatoes must be totally cooked.
When the potatoes change into heat, peel after which chop the potatoes into cubes and maintain apart.
Making potato masala
Warmth oil in a frying pan or kadai and crackle mustard seeds first. Hold the warmth to a low or medium-low whereas frying the spices.
Then add cumin and fry them until they splutter and alter colour.
Add the soaked chana dal. Fry the chana dal for about 3 to 4 minutes.
You can even add chana dal straight. On this case, it’s a must to brown the chana dal whereas frying.
Add chopped ginger and sauté for a half a minute on a low to medium-low warmth.
Add thinly sliced onions. Stir and sauté until the onions flip translucent. The onions ought to soften. Don’t brown the onions.
Add curry leaves, inexperienced chilies, turmeric powder and asafoetida. Stir and saute for just a few seconds.
Then add the potatoes. Season with salt and sugar.
Stir and add water. About ⅓ to ½ cup. The water simply makes the curry moist, mushy and never dry. That is an optionally available step.
If including inexperienced peas, then embrace steamed or boiled inexperienced peas at this step. Make sure that to steam or boil the inexperienced peas if you cook dinner the potatoes.
When you like the feel of potatoes to be barely crisp and never delicate, then don’t add water. On this case simply stir the potatoes and saute for two to three minutes.
After including water, simmer the potato curry for 3 minutes on a low warmth. Stir at intervals.
Stir after which add chopped coriander leaves. Stir once more.
Serve the potato curry with dosa, uttapam or rava dosa.
You can even serve with poori or chapati.
Aloo Masala | Potato Masala (For Dosa)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 281 Energy from Fats 54
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 5g
Vitamin A 223IU4%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 26mg130%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 95mg115%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Ok 9µg9%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 287µg72%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
This Potato Masala recipe put up from the archives first printed in November 2014 has been republished on 3 September 2022.Source