These wholesome, gluten-free flatbreads often known as Bajra Roti (or Bajre ki Roti or Bajra Bhakri) are a scrumptious pairing for any Indian lentil or vegetable-based curry. My recipe may be very simple to make, requiring simply 20 minutes of prep time. Strive making these tasty, hearty roti at the moment!
About Bajra Roti
Bajra roti (also referred to as bajra bhakri) is a gluten-free flatbread made with pearl millet flour. Bajra is the Hindi phrase for pearl millet. These gluten-free flatbreads are a superb nutritious choice for anybody with a gluten sensitivity, and for everybody else, too!
There are various sorts of grains to select from when making Roti, so I do my finest to strive all of them. Some days I make multigrain flour rotis by mixing collectively totally different flours, different occasions I follow only a single grain like for these bajra roti or my Jowar Roti (sorghum flour flatbread).
You also needs to know that pearl millet (bajra) isn’t the one sort of millet flour round. I additionally prefer to make Ragi Roti (from finger millet flour). Millets are wholesome grains, so you need to attempt to embody them in your food regimen.
These tasty bajre ki roti are a pleasant approach to introduce millet into your food regimen. Not solely are they hearty, tasty, and straightforward to make, they’re additionally fairly wholesome! The truth is, bajra roti has been related to improved intestine well being, weight reduction, and stabilized blood sugar.
This straightforward bajre ki roti recipe requires simply 4 substances, which means a tasty, gluten-free flatbread isn’t removed from attain. All you want is pearl millet flour, a neutral-flavored oil, salt, and water, plus just a little beneath an hour to make them. Simple, proper? So let’s get began.
Easy methods to Make Bajra Roti
1: First, warmth 1 cup of water. The water needs to be sizzling however not boiling. Swap off the warmth, then add 1 teaspoon oil and salt as wanted. Combine properly.
2: Add 2 to 2.5 cups of bajra flour to the water (or vice versa).
3: Combine with a spoon if the water is simply too sizzling. When you use heat water, then you need to use your fingers for mixing.
4: Collect the combined dough and knead to a delicate, easy dough when the warmth is ok sufficient to deal with.
Tip 1: If the dough appears dry and crumbly, add some sizzling or heat water. Combine and knead.
Tip 2: If the dough appears too moist or moist or has change into sticky, add some bajra flour. Combine and proceed to knead.
5: Pinch a small or medium-sized ball, flatten it barely together with your palms, and dirt it with frivolously with some bajra flour from either side.
6: This isn’t my forte, so I prefer to fold a ziplock bag, place the dough ball between the halves, and gently roll it out with a rolling pin or by utilizing my palms to press it outwards.
Mud frivolously with flour as wanted to maintain the dough from sticking.
7: Gently take away the flat raw bread from the ziplock bag and place it on a sizzling tawa or flat pan or skillet. Hold the warmth from medium-high to excessive.
8: Prepare dinner the primary facet till you see a couple of blisters. Flip and cook dinner the opposite facet. Flip a few occasions and cook dinner until brown spots and blisters seem on either side.
Unfold some oil or ghee on prime in case you like. Prepare dinner all rotis this fashion. Stack them in a roti basket or casserole, in order that they keep heat.
9: Serve Bajra roti sizzling or heat with an Indian vegetable curry, dal or facet veggie dish. Get pleasure from!
Making bajra bhakri isn’t essentially tough, but it surely does take a little bit of observe and finesse. Listed below are a few of my finest suggestions for making certain your roti come out completely each single time:
- You’ll want to use sizzling water. The dough turns into extra pliable and simpler to roll in case you use sizzling water. The rotis can even have a softer texture in case you do. Observe that the water needn’t be boiling sizzling – simply sizzling sufficient like that whereas having a shower or doing the dishes.
- Variation: When you discover making these flatbreads too cumbersome, add some entire wheat flour (atta). Together with entire wheat flour within the dough will make it simpler so that you can roll the roti.
- Don’t use solely a rolling pin. As a result of these rotis are gluten-free, the dough is quite delicate. Somewhat than making an attempt to roll out the dough as you’d for wheat roti, I counsel utilizing a ziplock bag as a non-stick floor on both facet of the dough balls and utilizing your palms to press the dough right into a circle or gently rolling it out with a rolling pin.
- Use an oil with a excessive smoke level. Ghee, vegetable oil, avocado oil, sunflower oil or peanut oil will all work. Oils with a decrease smoke level like olive oil needs to be averted.
- Serve the bajra roti heat alongside a vegetable curry, dal, or perhaps a facet dish. I served the Bajra roti with Bharli Vangi (stuffed aubergines in peanut-coconut-sesame gravy) this time round, and the combo was actually good.
You positive can! If the dough turns into moist within the fridge, merely add a tablespoon or two of bajra flour; whether it is too dry, add a tablespoon or two of water. You’ll want to use inside 24 hours for finest outcomes.
I’d counsel across the temperature that you just’d need for having a shower. Scorching, however not scalding!
Utilizing a rolling pin isn’t suggested for making bajra roti as a result of the dough may be very delicate. With out the addition of wheat flour (atta), no gluten is created. Whereas that’s excellent news for celiacs, it’s not nice for these of you who’re used to utilizing a rolling pin.
To simplify the method, I counsel utilizing a ziplock bag, two sheets of parchment, and even a big muslin material to surround the dough, then use your palms to press it out right into a spherical flatbread form.
In case you are nonetheless having issue, strive including a little bit of potato flour/potato starch or entire wheat flour (atta) to the dough to assist make it a bit extra pliable.
Please remember to charge the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Bajra Roti | Bajre ki Roti (Pearl Millet Flatbread)
Bajra Roti also referred to as Bajre ki Roti or Bajra Bhakri are gluten-free flatbreads comprised of pearl millet flour (a.ok.a bajra flour). These wholesome flatbreads pair deliciously with any Indian lentil or vegetable-based curry.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 30 minutes
Whole Time 50 minutes
Warmth or heat the water. Add salt and oil. Stir to combine.
Add the bajra flour. Stir with a spoon first. When the warmth is ok to deal with, knead right into a easy and delicate dough.
If the dough turns into sticky, then add extra flour.
If the dough is crumbly or dry, then add some water.
Making bajra roti
In the meantime warmth a tawa or a flat fry pan or skillet.
Make small to medium sized balls from the dough. Take one dough ball and flatten it barely together with your palms.
Mud frivolously with flour on either side. Use parchment sheets or ziplock bag for rolling.
Place the dough ball between two parchment sheets or inside a ziplock bag.
With a rolling pin, roll gently to a flat spherical form.
Take away gently from the ziplock bag and place the rolled roti on the recent tawa or skillet.
Prepare dinner until either side have brown spots and performed on a medium-high to excessive warmth.
- When one facet is partly cooked, flip and cook dinner the second facet. Flip a couple of occasions for even roasting of the roti. It is best to see brown spots or blisters on either side. Take care to not burn the roti.
When roasted properly sufficient, take away and unfold a little bit of oil or ghee on one facet.
Make bajre ki roti this fashion in batches and stack them up in a roti basket.
You too can decide to pan fry the bajra roti like paratha with oil or ghee instantly within the tawa/frying pan.
Serve Bajre ki Roti sizzling or heat with a vegetable facet dish or curry.
- Knead dough in sizzling water: Attempt to knead the dough in sizzling water. The dough turns into pliable and straightforward to roll when utilizing sizzling water and the rotis have a delicate texture too. You too can decide to knead the dough in heat water. Observe that the water needn’t be boiling sizzling – however simply sizzling sufficient like that when rinsing the dishes.
- Rolling Suggestions: Bajre ki roti is gluten-free, thus the dough is delicate. The dough will be patted with fingers you probably have the observe of it. Or roll utilizing a ziplock bag or parchment paper on both facet of the dough ball, utilizing your palms to press the dough right into a circle or gently rolling it out with a rolling pin.
- Fat: You might pass over the fat in case you favor. If you wish to use them, then use an oil with a excessive smoke level. Ghee, sunflower oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil, or peanut oil will all work. Oils with a decrease smoke level needs to be averted.
Bajra Roti | Bajre ki Roti (Pearl Millet Flatbread)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 249 Energy from Fats 63
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Okay 0.2µg0%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 27µg7%
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Bajre ki Roti recipe from the archives first printed in March 2013 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source