This Beef Bourguignon is a tackle a traditional French stew with a deep wealthy taste from pink wine. Tender beef, mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, and bacon are simmered in a savory broth.
Don’t be afraid to do this recipe, it’s one which Julia Baby was well-known for and whereas it does want a while, it’s really not troublesome to make.
What’s Beef Bourguignon?
Beef Bourguignon (pronounced “bef bur-gee-nyon,”) is a beef stew recipe. The distinction between this recipe and a daily stew is the quantity of wine added to the broth giving it a deep taste.
Carrots, onions, mushrooms, and garlic spherical out this one-pot meal. The entire thing bakes within the oven till tender.
Beef Bourguignon Components
This recipe is a simplified model of Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon with the steps considerably simplified (and components barely tailored).
BEEF When choosing meat for bourguignon or stew, I choose chuck beef because it comes out so tender however stewing meat works properly too. Select properly marbled beef.
VEGGIES Any root vegetable will work on this recipe. Child potatoes maintain their form properly and require no peeling. I add the potatoes in however you may depart them out and serve this dish over mashed potatoes as an alternative in the event you choose.
If you could find pearl onions, substitute these, they’re so good in stew!
HERBS Contemporary herbs like thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf improve the flavour of this slow-cooked masterpiece, dried might be substituted if it’s what you’ve available.
Wine for Beef Bourguignon
Wine is used to taste the broth on this recipe. Select a dry pink, like Pinot Noir, Cabernet, or Merlot, this provides the wealthy taste that makes this recipe so well-known!
Wine for cooking doesn’t must be costly however select a wine you wouldn’t thoughts ingesting. Don’t use cooking wine on this recipe, the flavour isn’t nice.
Most frequently, I’ll provide a suggestion to switch alcohol in recipes nevertheless the wine is the ahead taste on this dish (similar to coq au vin).
When you might substitute it with beef inventory, on this case, I’d recommend making a beef stew with flavors that aren’t so dependant on wine.
Whereas there are variations of non-alcoholic wine, I discover they’re typically extra juice-like, and relying on the model, they might not work properly on this recipe. If the recipes beneath name for wine, it’s in a smaller amount and might be substituted with further broth.
Tips on how to Make Beef Bourguignon
- Fry the bacon. Take away the bacon however maintain the fats within the pan per the recipe beneath.
- Dab the meat dry with a paper towel. Sear in small batches within the bacon grease over medium-high warmth.. Take away from pan.
- Saute onions and carrots (with a little bit of flour).
- Add beef again to the pot and stir in herbs, wine and remaining components.
- Cowl with a lid and bake in keeping with the recipe beneath.
- Add cooked bacon as a garnish after the stew is cooked.
Ideas for Perfection
Beef Bourguignon sounds tremendous fancy, however with only a few tips and suggestions it may be tremendous simple!
- Select beef that’s well-marbled and trim off seen fats.
- Sear the meat in small batches with out stirring an excessive amount of so it will get a pleasant crust.
- Add a tablespoon or two of butter when cooking the onion and carrot if wanted.
- Low and gradual is the important thing to nice taste (and texture) on this recipe. We choose to oven bake this stew however you may frivolously simmer bourguignon on the range.
- Contemporary herbs are greatest however you may substitute dry if wanted.
- Add within the bacon on the finish however depart a little bit bit to garnish too!
- Like chili and lasagna that is a kind of recipes that tastes simply nearly as good (or virtually higher) the subsequent day!
What to Serve With Beef Bourguignon
Extra Cozy Stew Recipes
Did your loved ones love this Beef Bourguignon? Be sure you depart a score and a remark beneath!
Beef Bourguignon Recipe
Beef Bourguignon is a sublime, flavorful dish stuffed with contemporary veggies and tender beef.
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Cook dinner bacon till crisp. Take away bacon from the pan leaving the fats within the backside of the pan.
Dab the meat dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Brown within the bacon fats in small batches. Take away from the pan and put aside.
Add onions and carrot to the pan and prepare dinner 2-3 minutes or simply till the onion begins to melt. Add beef again to the pan, stir in flour, and prepare dinner 2-3 minutes.
Add broth, wine, mushrooms, potatoes (if utilizing), tomato paste, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf. Cowl and bake 2 ½ to three hours.
Take away bay leaf, stir in bacon, and serve.
Select beef that’s properly marbled and trim off seen fats (chuck is our favourite).
Select a dry pink wine, like Pinot Noir, Cabernet, or Merlot.
Add within the bacon on the finish however depart a little bit bit to garnish too!
To Thicken stew additional after baking, mix equal components cornstarch and water. Add to simmering stew a little bit bit at a time whereas whisking to achieve desired consistency.
Energy: 753, Carbohydrates: 26g, Protein: 56g, Fats: 41g, Saturated Fats: 17g, Ldl cholesterol: 181mg, Sodium: 1204mg, Potassium: 1927mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 3578IU, Vitamin C: 21mg, Calcium: 74mg, Iron: 7mg
(Diet data offered is an estimate and can differ based mostly on cooking strategies and types of components used.)
Course Beef, Dinner, Entree, Foremost Course
Delicacies American, French