Say hiya to Beetroot Poriyal – a evenly spiced South Indian particular preparation made with beets, coconut, spices and herbs. Whilst you is perhaps consuming beetroot in salads and juices, that is a kind of simple methods the place you possibly can even cook dinner this tremendous nutritious root vegetable. As apparent, this dry dish has a ravishing crimson colour to it as a result of the beetroot completely colours it with its pure hue. The addition of spices and coconut add to the earthiness of this tasty dish.
If you’re within the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu, you’ll come throughout the favored meals time period ‘poriyal,’ which might typically imply a type of sautéed or fried dish. Comparable phrases in different languages are ‘mezhukupuratti’ (Malayalam), ‘palya’ (Kannada) and ‘vepudu’ (Telugu).
A sort of facet dish, it usually has a vegetable (shredded or finely chopped) which is cooked with entire spices, curry leaves and black gram (urad dal). Typically onions, dried crimson chilies and different spice powders may additionally be added. It’s often completed with heap of coconut and coriander (optionally).
Extra on Beetroot Poriyal
I usually make this Beetroot Poriyal and different veggie poriyals at house. This dish is a most popular one as a result of it’s actually easy to make (similar to the Kerala thorans) and is wholesome too. So, every time I’m making a sambar, a vegetable poriyal or thoran is also an choice by default.
This recipe of Beetroot Poriyal can be a no onion, no garlic one. Different primary components that go on this preparation are mustard seeds, inexperienced chillies, curry leaves, urad dal, asafoetida and a few coconut. Make it gluten-free by not including the asafoetida.
Whether or not you need to chop or grate the beetroot, the selection is yours. The poriyal is tasty each methods. Although, utilizing grated beetroot will at all times reduce the time to cook dinner the vegetable.
I at all times cook dinner the Beetroot Poriyal in coconut oil as that’s what’s the essence of this dish. However you possibly can substitute it with sesame oil (gingelly oil) as nicely.
You can also make the poriyal with different veggies like those I’ve talked about within the above part. There isn’t a finish to that. Every one can be simply as fab as the opposite, this a lot I can guarantee you.
At house, I had this Beetroot Poriyal with a yummy sambar and steamed foxtail millet combo. For normal occasions, this poriyal goes good with a Sambar-rice or Rasam-rice mixture. You’ll be able to have it with chapati too for a healthful meal.
Methods to make Beetroot Poriyal
1. In a pan, warmth 2 tablespoons coconut oil or sesame oil (gingelly oil). Hold the warmth to a low and add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.
2. Let the mustard seeds crackle.
3. When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add 1 teaspoon urad dal (break up and husked black gram).
4. Stirring usually, fry the urad dal on low warmth.
5. Fry until the urad dal turns golden.
6. Then, add 1 chopped inexperienced chili (about ½ to 1 teaspoon, chopped), 10 to 12 torn or chopped curry leaves and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing). Combine nicely.
7. Now, add 2 cups finely chopped beetroot (or 2 medium to giant beetroot or 250 grams finely chopped beetroot). You may also add grated beetroot.
8. Combine very nicely.
9. Add salt as per style and blend once more.
10. Add ⅓ cup water or add as required.
11. Cowl the pan with a lid and let the beetroot cook dinner on low to medium-low warmth.
12. Do verify and stir, in between. If the water dries up, add some water after which proceed to cowl and cook dinner.
13. The beetroot ought to soften and get cooked fully. Earlier than continuing to the subsequent step, guarantee there is no such thing as a water within the pan.
If the beetroot items are softened and there’s some water, then cook dinner with out the lid, so that each one the water evaporates.
14. Lastly, add 3 to 4 tablespoons grated contemporary coconut.
15. Combine very nicely. Change off the warmth and canopy the pan.
16. Serve the Beetroot Poriyal sizzling or heat as a facet dish with sambar-rice, rasam-rice and even dal-rice. It can be had with chapatis, plain paratha or bread.
Please make sure you charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Beetroot Poriyal is a evenly spiced South Indian particular preparation made with beets, coconut, spices and herbs. The addition of spices and coconut add to the earthiness of this tasty dish.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook dinner Time 15 minutes
Complete Time 20 minutes
In a pan warmth the coconut oil or gingelly oil (til ka tel or sesame oil made out of uncooked sesame seeds). Hold warmth to a low and add mustard seeds.
When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add urad dal. Stirring usually fry the urad dal until they get golden and fragrant.
Then add chopped inexperienced chillies, curry leaves (chopped or entire) and asafoetida. Combine nicely.
Then add finely chopped or grated beetroot.
Combine very nicely.
Add salt as per style and blend once more.
Add ⅓ cup of water or add as required.
Cowl the pan with a lid and let the beetroot cook dinner on a low to medium-low warmth.
In between do verify and stir. If the water dries up, then you possibly can add some water after which proceed to cowl and cook dinner.
- The beetroot ought to soften, develop into tender and get cooked fully. Earlier than continuing to the subsequent step guarantee there is no such thing as a water within the pan. If the beetroot items have softened and there’s some water, then cook dinner with out lid, so that each one the water evaporates.
Lastly add 3 to 4 tablespoons grated contemporary coconut. Combine very nicely. Change off the warmth and canopy pan.
Serve the Beetroot Poriyal sizzling or heat as a facet dish with sambar-rice or rasam-rice and even dal-rice. It can be had with chapati or paratha.
- Use contemporary, tender and juicy beets.
- You might skip coconut should you would not have it or add desiccated coconut as a substitute. Observe that with desiccated coconut the style will change barely.
- The recipe could be doubled or tripled.
- This approximate diet data is per serving (made with coconut oil).
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 277 Energy from Fats 198
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 19g119%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 2g
Vitamin A 231IU5%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 58mg290%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 110mg133%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 732µg183%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Beetroot Poriyal recipe from the archives first revealed on July 2013 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source