Lots of people I do know, don’t actually like woman’s finger or okra (bhindi) due to its slimy texture. However when you prepare dinner okra pods the fitting means, they make for a fantastic plant-based choice that may be changed into implausible dishes. Similar to this Besan Bhindi (additionally referred to as Besan Wali Bhindi), a dry, tangy, flavorful and spiced okra dish from Rajasthani delicacies. For extra such awesomeness, you may check with this compilation of Bhindi Recipes.
About Besan Bhindi
In the event you although that the meals tradition of Rajasthan is all about royal and rustic dishes like ker sangri, Gatte Ki Sabzi, their non-vegetarian fares and wealthy sweets like ghevar, then you’re extremely mistaken. As a result of not simply these, it’s also about easy, but luxurious preparations like this Besan Bhindi, Rajasthani Kadhi and extra.
Aside from the besan (gram flour or chickpea flour) and the bhindi (okra) that makes this dish, different elements are all these that are simply out there at any given time in an Indian dwelling kitchen. So, you actually don’t should run store to buy to supply any of it.
The spice checklist for this Besan Bhindi consists of your primary on a regular basis ones like coriander powder, pink chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder. The dried mango powder (amchur powder) that’s added on this recipe provides it a much-desired tang, taking the flavors too, a notch larger.
This Besan Bhindi is totally gluten-free. To make it fully vegan too, you should use oil as a substitute of ghee to fry the besan as effectively. We aren’t even deep-frying the bhindi in extra oil, however simply frivolously sautéing in little oil. This additionally makes it fairly a nutritious dish.
This recipe is just not that fast to make, however is certainly easy and straightforward when you comply with it the fitting means. One factor is for positive that when you get a style of this Rajasthani model Besan Bhindi, you’ll simply wish to eat increasingly more.
Extra On The Recipe
I’ve tailored this recipe of Besan Bhindi from the well-known Jiggs Kalra’s cookbook ‘Basic Cooking of Rajasthan.’ This cookbook can be a should if you’re keen on Rajasthani delicacies. I’ve tried a couple of recipes from this ebook they usually all have been winners. It has each vegetarian and non-vegetarian recipes, each standard and weird ones too.
Being a specialty of the delicacies of Rajasthan, together with the spices, besan or gram flour can be very typical on this recipe. This specific flour is roasted first after which the spices are added.
The unique recipe requires frying the okra. To chop down on the fats, I’ve simply frivolously sautéed the okra. Frying or sautéing okra earlier than you put together the dish, reduces the sliminess within the okra. Additionally, there are not any different veggies like onions, tomatoes, and so on. added. So general, there may be much less chopping work.
Besan wali Bhindi is a no onion, no garlic recipe as effectively. The top result’s a crisp, spiced and masala coated bhindi which fits very effectively with chapati or phulka. You’ll be able to relish this Rajasthani Bhindi as a facet dish with dal-rice or kadhi-chawal too.
make Besan Bhindi
1. Combine 1 inch julienned ginger, ½ tablespoon lemon juice, ½ teaspoon sugar and ½ teaspoon water in a small bowl and preserve apart for a most of three hours or 40 to 60 minutes.
This resolution of lemon juice and sugar makes the ginger pinkish in colour. For some purpose unknown to me, the ginger didn’t get a pink hue.
2. Rinse and totally pat dry 200 to 250 grams okra (bhindi). Make 2 or 3 slits on every okra pod, with out chopping fully.
Do test to see if there are any worms within the okra by barely opening the pods.
Make Besan Bhindi
3. Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a frying pan and sauté the okra until crisp and browned. You may also sauté the okra in batches.
4. Drain on kitchen paper towels.
5. Warmth ½ tablespoon ghee in a pan and sauté the gram flour (besan), stirring usually. The besan has to alter colour and change into fragrant. This is a vital step.
In the event you don’t roast the besan effectively, there will likely be a uncooked style within the closing dish. You must be capable to see the fats leaving the besan as soon as it’s roasted effectively.
6. Add the sautéed okra. Stir effectively and you will notice the consistency of the besan altering. It turns into extra clean.
7. Add 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon dried mango powder (amchur powder), ½ teaspoon pink chili powder and ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
8. Stir after which add ½ tablespoon water together with salt as required. You possibly can skip the step of including water.
9. Stir and sauté until the besan and the spice combination has coated the bhindi effectively.
10. Lastly, sprinkle ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder and provides a closing stir.
11. Garnish Besan wali Bhindi with solely the ginger juliennes from the lemon-sugar-water combination. You may also garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve scorching with chapati, phulka or as a facet dish with dal and rice or a Rajasthani meal or North Indian meal.
- The ginger juliennes in a lemon juice, sugar and water resolution ought to flip the ginger, pinkish in colour. It not simply enhances the flavour of this besan wali bhindi, but additionally makes it fairly to take a look at.
- Serving this dish with the ginger is just not necessary. You’ll be able to skip including it as a garnish and serve the bhindi as it’s.
- To make this dish fully vegan, change ghee with oil to fry the besan as effectively.
- Be certain to roast the gram flour effectively, which implies it has to change into aromatic, change colour and it’s best to see fats leaving the flour. If not achieved so, there will likely be a uncooked style within the closing dish.
Please remember to fee this recipe within the recipe card beneath you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Besan Bhindi (Besan Wali Bhindi)
Besan Bhindi ((additionally referred to as Besan Wali Bhindi) is a dry, tangy, flavorful and spiced okra dish from the Rajasthani delicacies. It options besan a.ok.a gram flour as a singular ingredient which provides a nuttty taste to the dish.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook dinner Time 10 minutes
Whole Time 35 minutes
In a small bowl, combine collectively the ginger juliennes, lemon juice, sugar and water.
Preserve this pickled ginger apart for no less than 30 minutes to 1 hour or most of three hours.
Rinse and pat dry the okra (bhindi). Slice off the crowns and the tip of the okra pods.
Then make two or three slits on every bhindi, with out breaking them.
Making besan bhindi
Warmth 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the prepped okra pods. Sauté them until they’re crisp and browned.
Drain the bhindi on paper towels to take away any further oil.
In the identical pan, add ½ tablespoon ghee.
Add the gram flour and fry until it modifications colour and turns into aromatic. Carry on stirring whereas frying the gram flour in order that it doesn’t get burnt.
You must see the fats releasing from the gram flour.
Add the bhindi to the besan. Stir to combine and mix.
Then add all of the spice powders (coriander, dry mango powder, pink chilli powder and turmeric powder).
Stir effectively and sprinkle salt and ½ tablespoon water. Including water is non-obligatory and you too can skip this step.
Stir and saute, till the roasted gram flour and spice combination coats the bhindi effectively.
Lastly, add garam masala and provides a stir.
Whereas serving, garnish with solely the julienned ginger that was soaked in lemon-sugar syrup. You possibly can additionally choose to garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve Besan wali Bhindi scorching with roti or chapati or as a facet dish with dal rice or curry rice.
- Use contemporary tender okra pods.
- Make sure that the okra pods are totally dry earlier than you sauté them. Any water or moisture on the pods could make them slimy.
- Regulate the bottom spices simply within the recipe.
- You’ll be able to scale the recipe to make for bigger servings.
Besan Bhindi (Besan Wali Bhindi)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 327 Energy from Fats 234
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 5g31%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 19g
Ldl cholesterol 10mg3%
Vitamin A 880IU18%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 25mg30%
Vitamin E 9mg60%
Vitamin Ok 35µg33%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 127µg32%
* % Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
This Besan Bhindi recipe publish from the archives first revealed in February 2014 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source