If there’s one basic bhindi (okra) dish with North Indian flavors, it’s the Bhindi Masala. It is a semi-dry preparation that includes the star ingredient okra pods (bhindi in Hindi), piquant onions, tangy tomatoes, daring Indian spices and herbs. It is among the hottest dishes served in nearly all eating places too, of North India. My Bhindi Masala Recipe is a straightforward and scrumptious Punjabi fashion preparation, which can also be vegan, gluten free and fairly healthful. There’s a video in addition to the step-by-step image demonstration that’ll enable you to to make it at your property.
Extra on Bhindi Masala
‘Bhindi’ is the Hindi phrase for okra or girl’s fingers and ‘masala’ right here refers to a sautéed base of aromatics like onions, garlic, ginger with the same old tomatoes and a handful of Indian spices and herbs.
Therefore, the Bhindi Masala Recipe really refers to okra or girl’s fingers cooked in a tangy and spiced base (masala) of onions, tomatoes, floor spices and herbs. The spice mixture that I’ve used on this recipe is commonly added to many different Punjabi recipes.
Some years again, I had tried Bhindi Masala in a North Indian restaurant and it was tremendous pleasant, the truth is implausible! The flavors and texture of the dish simply overpowered its simplicity.
This Bhindi Masala Recipe replicates the one that’s served in eating places. Some eating places additionally serve a gravy model of this dish. However my recipe is that of a semi-dry one.
On the subject of our favourite greens at house, bhindi or okra tops the checklist. It’s fairly a staple for us, similar to the potato or aloo. We normally want dry or semi-dry variations of any sabzi with bhindi.
Many of the Indian recipes with okra are easy to make and nutritious too. So is that this Bhindi Masala Recipe. In case you too are a fan of okra, similar to us, then do strive these Okra Recipes.
I normally add kasuri methi to my recipe of Bhindi Masala. Kasuri methi are dried fenugreek leaves which have a beautiful aroma. Although it’s optionally available, if you would like a restaurant fashion model of this dish, then don’t miss on the kasuri methi.
Cook dinner Okra Completely Everytime
That is your most secure information for making one of the best Bhindi Masala, or for that matter, every other dish which has bhindi or okra in it. Learn on…
- Rinsing: After rinsing okra in water, drain all of the water utterly. There shouldn’t be any water or moisture on the okra pods. In any other case, whereas chopping and later whereas cooking, they may turn out to be slimy or sticky.
- Drying: Then, wipe every okra pod utterly dry with a clear kitchen towel or cotton serviette. You’ll be able to even dry okra pods by spreading them on a big plate or tray after which drying them underneath the fan.
- Chopping: Earlier than you chop okra, they need to be utterly dry. When chopping okra, a few of the slimy substance sticks to the knife. You’ll be able to wipe it with a kitchen paper towel or paper serviette after which proceed to cut.
- Cooking strategies: Sautéing, pan frying and even deep-frying okra helps in lowering its stickiness or sliminess. Whenever you fry or sauté okra earlier than you make a gravy or masala, it is not going to solely make your gravy or sauce style good but additionally take away the stickiness from okra. On this Bhindi Masala Recipe, I’ve sautéed okra first.
- Fat: The addition of additional oil additionally minimizes stickiness. 3 tablespoons of oil which is added on this Bhindi Masala Recipe is ideal. You’ll be able to even add 4 tablespoons of oil. Nonetheless, don’t scale back the oil to 2 tablespoons.
- Souring elements: Including bitter or tangy elements assist to scale back the sliminess of the okra. Bitter and tangy elements like tomatoes, tamarind, dried mango powder (amchur powder), lime or lemon juice, vinegar, kokum (garcinia indica), curd, buttermilk are nice to be used, relying on the form of recipe or dish you make with okra.
On this recipe of Bhindi Masala, I’ve used tomatoes and dried mango powder which not solely impart a pleasant tangy style but additionally assist to eliminate the sliminess.
How one can make Bhindi Masala
Prep and Sauté Bhindi
1. Rinse 250 grams bhindi (okra) effectively in water utilizing a colander or strainer. Unfold them on a tray or plate and allow them to dry on their very own underneath the fan. You’ll be able to even wipe dry every bhindi with a clear kitchen towel.
2. When they’re utterly dry, chop every bhindi in 1 or 2 inch items.
Earlier than chopping, make certain there’s not even a single drop of water or any moisture on the okra pods.
3. In a heavy kadai, pan or skillet, warmth 2 tablespoons oil and add the chopped okra. You should utilize any neutral-tasting oil. I largely use sunflower oil or peanut oil.
4. Combine chopped bhindi effectively with the oil.
5. Now, sauté bhindi, stirring usually, on low to medium-low warmth.
6. Sauté bhindi till tender and cooked. You need to see just a few blisters or golden spots on the okra. Take away the sautéed okra and preserve apart.
Style the sautéed okra. The crunchiness shouldn’t be there. As a substitute, you need to style a properly softened bhindi. Which means it’s effectively cooked.
Frying or sautéing okra in oil minimizes the sliminess and stickiness on this recipe.
7. Take away the cooked bhindi in a plate and preserve apart. Additionally chop onions, tomatoes, inexperienced chilies and preserve apart. Crush ginger and garlic in mortar-pestle to get ginger-garlic paste.
Make Onion Tomato Masala
8. In the identical kadai or pan, warmth 1 tablespoon oil. Add 1 medium-sized chopped onion (⅓ cup chopped onions).
Observe: For a richer style, you’ll be able to swap oil with ghee (clarified butter).
9. Combine and start to sauté the onions on low to medium warmth.
10. Sauté onions, stirring usually, till translucent. The onions must be softened.
11. Then, add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste and chopped inexperienced chilies.
12. Stir and sauté on low warmth till the uncooked aroma of ginger-garlic goes away. This takes about just a few seconds.
13. Subsequent, add 2 medium sized chopped tomatoes (1 cup chopped tomatoes).
14. Combine effectively and start to sauté tomatoes on low to medium-low warmth.
If the tomato combination turns into too dry and begins sticking to the pan, add just a few splashes of water – about 3 to 4 tablespoons water. Combine effectively and proceed to sauté, stirring usually.
15. Sauté tomatoes until delicate and mushy.
16. Now, add all the floor spices listed beneath:
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri crimson chili powder or ½ teaspoon candy paprika or ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (floor turmeric)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
17. Subsequent, add the next floor spices:
- ½ teaspoon fennel powder, optionally available
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon dried mango powder (amchur powder)
In case you do not need dried mango powder, add ½ teaspoon dried pomegranate seeds powder (anardana powder).
You’ll be able to add lemon juice, however I recommend to squeeze contemporary lemon juice on prime of the Bhindi Masala whereas consuming it. Including lemon juice on to the dish could make it very tangy.
18. Combine the bottom spices very effectively and sauté for a couple of seconds.
Make Bhindi Masala
19. Add the sautéed bhindi.
20. Season with salt as per style.
21. Combine very effectively.
22. Now, add ½ teaspoon crushed dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). In case you do not need dried fenugreek leaves, then skip it.
23. Stir the combination effectively. Cook dinner for about 2 minutes, stirring in between. Test the style of Bhindi Masala and add extra of the bottom spice powders and salt, if required.
24. Lastly, add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. Combine once more. You can even add 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves, if you happen to do not need coriander leaves.
25. Serve Bhindi Masala sizzling or heat.
Like all different dry okra recipes, you’ll be able to savor this Bhindi Masala too with some delicate phulka, roti, or chapati. You can even take pleasure in it with naan, paratha or rumali roti. A aspect of cucumber raita or veg raita additionally pairs rather well with these mixtures.
Make the Bhindi Masala Recipe and likewise strive it as a aspect dish with some dal-rice or any rice-curry mixture. You can even serve it as a aspect with any North Indian meal.
It may also be packed within the tiffin or lunch field with roti or paratha.
- Okra or Bhindi: Purchase tender and contemporary okra pods whenever you plan to make any recipe with them. They need to have a clean, shiny look with a pleasant inexperienced shade and shouldn’t look dry. They shouldn’t be dense or fibrous.
- Fat: You should utilize any neutral-tasting oil to prepare dinner this recipe. I normally use peanut oil or sunflower oil. For a richer style, you’ll be able to even make this dish in ghee (clarified butter). Optionally, you can too add 1 tablespoon of heavy cream or whipping cream.
- Omitting onions and garlic: In case you resolve to not add onions and garlic on this recipe, then whereas sautéing tomatoes, add a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
- Spices: You’ll be able to add much less or extra of the bottom spices, based on your style preferences. Instead of crimson chili powder, you need to use cayenne powder too. The fennel powder (saunf powder) is optionally available, you’ll be able to skip it. In case you don’t have dried mango powder (amchur powder), then you’ll be able to add ½ teaspoon dried pomegranate seeds powder (anardana powder).
- Dried fenugreek leaves: In case you do not need dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi), then merely skip them. Nevertheless it offers a superb aroma and restaurant like style.
- Lemon or lime juice: You’ll be able to add lemon juice, however I recommend to squeeze contemporary lemon juice on prime of the dish whereas consuming it. Including lemon juice on to the dish could make it very tangy.
- Herbs: Instead of chopped coriander leaves, you can too add 1 tablespoon of chopped mint leaves.
- Variation: For a hearty, filling dish, you’ll be able to decide so as to add roasted, sautéed or pan-fried potato cubes.
- Scaling: My recipe may be simply scaled – halved, doubled or tripled.
Please you should definitely charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Bhindi Masala Recipe (Punjabi Type)
Bhindi Masala recipe is a North Indian, Punjabi fashion curried dish made with tender okra pods, piquant onions, tangy tomatoes, daring spices and herbs. It is among the hottest dishes served in lots of Indian eating places.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 45 minutes
Rinse the bhindi (okra) effectively in water for a few occasions.
Dry them on a big plate on their very own or wipe with a kitchen towel. Ensure that there isn’t any moisture or water on the okra pods.
Take away the bottom and stalk whereas chopping them. Chop into 1 or 1.5 inch items.
Additionally chop onions and tomatoes. Preserve apart.
Make a paste of ginger and garlic in mortar-pestle and preserve apart.
Warmth 2 tbsp oil in a kadai (wok) or pan.
Add the chopped bhindi and sauté stirring usually until they’re utterly cooked. You’ll have to keep watch over them and stir in between many occasions.
Style the sautéed okra and if the crunchiness just isn’t there and the bhindi have turn out to be delicate, it means they’re cooked. Preserve the sautéed bhindi apart.
Sautéing onions, tomatoes, spices
All of the oil shall be used up. So add 1 tablespoon oil to the identical pan.
Add chopped onions and sauté stirring usually on low to medium warmth until they turn out to be translucent and are softened.
Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté on low warmth for just a few seconds or until the uncooked aroma of the ginger-garlic disappears.
Add the chopped tomatoes and saute stirring usually until the tomatoes turn out to be delicate and mushy.
If the tomato combination turns into too dry and begins sticking to the pan, then add about ¼ cup water. Combine effectively and proceed to prepare dinner.
All of the above cooking is completed in a open pan and also you don’t must cowl the pan with the lid.
Add all of the dry floor spice powders one after the other.
Combine effectively and saute for just a few seconds on low warmth.
Making bhindi masala
Add the sautéed bhindi, crushed kasuri methi, salt and blend in order that the onion-tomato masala coats the okra effectively.
Cook dinner for about 2 minutes. Stir in between.
Then flip off the warmth and add chopped coriander leaves. Combine once more.
- Serve Bhindi Masala sizzling or heat garnished with just a few coriander leaves and accompanied with chapati, roti or naan. It may also be packed for lunch field. It additionally makes for a pleasant aspect dish with any North Indian meal.
- Okra: Purchase tender and contemporary okra pods. They need to have a clean, shiny look with a pleasant inexperienced shade. They shouldn’t be dry, dense or fibrous.
- Scaling: You’ll be able to simply halve or double the recipe.
- Omitting onions and garlic: In case you resolve to not add onions and garlic, then when sautéing tomatoes, add a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
- Spicing and seasonings: You’ll be able to add much less or extra of the bottom spices based on your style preferences.
- Dried fenugreek leaves: Skip dried fenugreek leaves if you happen to do not need them.
- Fat: You may make this recipe in any impartial flavored oil. For a richer style you need to use ghee (clarified butter). Optionally you can too add 1 tablespoon of heavy cream or whipping cream.
- Variation: For a hearty filling dish you’ll be able to decide so as to add roasted or sauteed or pan fried potato cubes.
Bhindi Masala Recipe (Punjabi Type)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 176 Energy from Fats 126
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Vitamin A 1127IU23%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 27mg33%
Vitamin E 6mg40%
Vitamin Ok 32µg30%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 61µg15%
* P.c Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Bhindi Masala recipe submit from the archives first printed on April 2013 has been up to date and republished on November 2022.Source