It’s a typical false impression that something bitter is not going to be beloved by the palate, ever! However in the case of Bitter Gourd or Bitter Melon (Karela in Hindi), it’s completely a unique ball sport. Similar to this superior Bitter Gourd Pickle which might actually blow your thoughts. You also needs to do this Karela Pickle as a result of it’s made in a really totally different method as in comparison with the common Indian pickles.
About Bitter Gourd Pickle
If you happen to like bitter gourd/bitter melon/bitter apple, you’ll love this pickle. I’d prefer to assume that even if you happen to don’t, this Karela Pickle will show you how to change that outlook in direction of this actually marvelous vegetable. Additionally, strive these yum Bitter Gourd Curry and Stuffed Bitter Gourd recipes.
I tailored this Bitter Gourd Pickle recipe from a Hindi cookbook which solely options pickle recipes. This guide got here as a complimentary reward a few years in the past, with the bottle of Dhara Mustard Oil that I bought from the market.
Although the unique recipe referred to as for using sesame oil and vinegar. I substituted each these with mustard oil and apple cider vinegar. You’ll be able to additional use sunflower oil instead of the mustard oil.
You need to additionally take note to prep the bitter gourd nicely earlier than utilizing it for pickling. Wash, slice and take away the seeds.
Chop, sprinkle salt on high, combine nicely and maintain it for about half-hour. Then, squeeze the salted bitter melon slices, discard the juices and rinse as soon as once more. Drain nicely and use.
My dad and mom love this Karela Pickle, and so do I. So, every time they go to us, I all the time give them some jars full of this distinctive pickle.
Why this recipe works
This Karela Pickle additionally makes use of different easy and fundamental components like fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, inexperienced chilies and garlic, that are quite common in virtually any and each Indian kitchen. You’ll be able to prepare dinner this pickle on the range high after which retailer it in a bottle.
Initially, the bitter style of the karela is kind of dominant within the pickle. However when this Bitter Gourd Pickle is saved for some days, this outstanding bitterness mellows and lessens because the bitter notes of the vinegar take over.
And don’t assume a lot about consuming this Karela Pickle and what to pair it with. It goes amazingly nicely with any common Indian rice meals – rasam-rice, curd rice, sambar-rice, dal-rice, kadhi-rice, and so forth. And in any other case too.
The way to make Bitter Gourd Pickle
1. Firstly, rinse 250 grams bitter gourd nicely. If there are bruises on the pores and skin, then you’ll be able to barely peel off that half.
Slice the bitter gourd into two halves vertically, and take away the seeds. Chop the bitter gourd in small chew measurement items.
Sprinkle salt on the chopped bitter gourd and blend nicely. Maintain this bitter gourd-salt combination apart for half-hour.
After half-hour, squeeze the salted bitter gourd and discard the juices. Rinse as soon as once more with water. Drain nicely and maintain apart.
2. Warmth ¼ cup or 4 tablespoons mustard oil until it begins to smoke on medium-low to medium warmth. Add 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds and 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.
3. As soon as the seeds crackle, add 8 to 9 thinly sliced garlic cloves and fry for 10 to 12 seconds.
4. Then, add 5 to six slit inexperienced chilies and fry for 30 seconds.
5. Add the bitter gourd items to the pan.
6. Stir and sauté the bitter gourd for 7 to eight minutes on low to medium warmth. Then, add 150 ml apple cider vinegar or white vinegar and salt as required.
7. Carry the pickle combination to a boil. This might take about 3 to 4 minutes. Add ½ teaspoon crimson chili powder. Combine and swap off the warmth.
8. Place the pan apart and let this pickle combination cool. Cowl the pan with a cotton serviette as an alternative of lid as we don’t need condensation droplets on the lid.
The pickle may have some vinegar and won’t be dry. After storing, the Bitter Gourd Pickle will mature in a couple of weeks. However you’ll be able to have it immediately as soon as cooled.
You may also permit it to mature for two to three days. On this case, you’ll be able to refrigerate the pickle.
9. As soon as cooled, switch the Karela Pickle in a clear sterilized jar with a clear non reactive spoon.
Shut the jar air-tight and maintain it within the fridge. Serve the Bitter Melon Pickle every time required. It stays good for 3 months in refrigeration.
Karela – A bittersweet emotion
Karela is a bitter veggie, however extremely used within the culinary discipline internationally. It additionally has immense medicinal makes use of. For example, many African and Asian natural drugs programs have been utilizing it since a very long time.
Illnesses like abdomen points are believed to have been handled with bitter gourd in Turkish people treatments. In India, it’s identified to be actually good for the therapy of diabetes, respiratory and pores and skin ailments, rheumatism, ulcers, gout, and so forth.
Culinarily, these are among the widespread makes use of of the not so widespread bitter gourd:
- Chinese language delicacies makes use of bitter gourd in stir-fries, dim sums, natural teas and soups. Some Chinese language beers additionally use this veggie as a bittering agent in beers. This vegetable can also be used extensively in Japanese, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Thai, Filipino and Mauritian cuisines.
- In India, you’ll be able to have karela within the fried kind, made into curries, sabzis or full of spices. Many dishes in South Indian delicacies like ‘thoran,’ ‘theeyal,’ ‘pachadi,’ and so forth. have bitter gourd in them.
- It’s also popularly utilized in Maharashtrian and Goan cuisines, the place bitter gourd is called ‘karle’.
- ‘Tetor dal’ and ‘shukto’ are among the preparations in Bengali delicacies through which using bitter gourd is completely important.
- ‘Tite karele’ or bitter melon, as identified in Nepal is consumed within the type of a pickle. This Bitter Gourd Pickle is one other method you’ll be able to take pleasure in it.
- Burmese delicacies has bitter gourd sautéed with shrimps and different components is served as an accompaniment to predominant dishes. It is a widespread avenue meals in Burma.
- Sri Lankan delicacies has the ‘karawila sambol,’ ‘karawila curry’ and ‘karawila juice’ as well-known bitter gourd preparations.
Please you should definitely price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Bitter Gourd Pickle | Bitter Melon Pickle (Karela Pickle)
This Bitter Gourd Pickle recipe also referred to as Karela Pickle is simple and fast to make. It’s made with tender Bitter Melon slices cooked and pickled in a mixture of mustard oil, spices and vinegar.
Prep Time 40 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 15 minutes
Complete Time 55 minutes
Firstly, rinse the bitter gourd nicely. If there are bruises on the pores and skin, then you’ll be able to barely peel off that half. No must peel the whole bitter gourd.
Slice the bitter gourd vertically and take away the seeds. Chop the bitter gourd into small items.
Sprinkle some salt on the chopped bitter gourd and blend nicely. Maintain this bitter gourd-salt combination apart for half-hour.
After half-hour, squeeze the salted bitter gourd and discard the juices. Rinse as soon as once more in contemporary water. Drain all of the water and set the bitter gourd slices apart.
On medium-low to medium flame, in a pan, warmth mustard oil until it begins smoking. Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and fry until the seeds crackle.
Add sliced garlic and fry for 10 to 12 seconds. Then, add inexperienced chilies and fry for 30 seconds.
Subsequent, add chopped bitter gourd and sauté for 7 to eight minutes on low to medium-heat.
Add white vinegar and salt. Stir and convey the pickle combination to a boil. It will take about 3 to 4 minutes.
Add crimson chili powder. Stir once more and swap off the warmth. Set the pan apart and let the combination cool.
Cowl the pan with a cotton serviette as an alternative of lid as we do not need condensation droplets on the lid.
When fully cooled, pour the Bitter Gourd Pickle in a clear sterilized jar.
Shut the jar with its lid and maintain it within the fridge.
Serve Karela Pickle with an Indian meal like dal-rice, sambar-rice, curd rice or kadhi-rice.
- Use tender and inexperienced bitter melons. Don’t use bitter gourd which have ripened. Ripe bitter melons may have a yellow outer and an orange or crimson shade from inside.
- Word that the approximate diet data is for the whole bitter gourd pickle made out of this recipe.
Bitter Gourd Pickle | Bitter Melon Pickle (Karela Pickle)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 688 Energy from Fats 513
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 7g44%
Polyunsaturated Fats 12g
Monounsaturated Fats 33g
Vitamin A 1479IU30%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 0.5mg25%
Vitamin C 245mg297%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 188µg47%
* P.c Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Bitter Gourd Pickle recipe submit from the weblog archives first revealed in January 2014 has been republished and up to date on December 2022.Source