Say hey to Carrot Poriyal – a easy, simple to make South Indian particular preparation. Whilst you could be consuming carrot in different stir-fries, salads and juices, that is a type of simple methods the place you’ll be able to prepare dinner this tremendous nutritious root vegetable right into a scrumptious dish. As apparent, this dry dish has a lovely reddish hue to it due to the carrot added in it. The addition of urad dal, spices and coconut solely improve the earthiness of this well-known aspect dish, usually from Tamil Nadu in South India.
Extra on Carrot Poriyal
Poriyal is a dry, stir-fried or sautéed preparation made with greens. The greens are finely chopped or grated and are seasoned with heat, earthy spices, herbs and completed with coconut.
I make this Carrot Poriyal in addition to different poriyal variants fairly often at dwelling, as it’s tremendous simple to organize and doesn’t take a lot time.
Furthermore, I at all times have recent coconut saved within the freezer. So, it’s form of simple that approach too. This preparation is sort of nutritious too and pairs completely with a sambar-rice mixture.
This recipe of Carrot Poriyal additionally doesn’t have onion or garlic in it. Different primary elements that go on this preparation are mustard seeds, inexperienced chilies, curry leaves, urad dal, asafoetida and coconut. You’ll be able to skip the asafoetida or use a gluten-free asafoetida to make a gluten-free model.
On this recipe, initially the carrots are cooked with a number of spices. As soon as the carrots are cooked, some coconut is added. The addition of coconut makes loads of distinction on this dish and tastes good too.
I often prepare dinner this Carrot Poriyal in sesame oil. Nevertheless, you too can prepare dinner it in coconut oil to get a extra genuine taste.
To make Carrot Poriyal, you’ll be able to both finely chop or grate the vegetable. On this recipe, I’ve finely chopped the carrots, however you’ll be able to even grate or shred them. If utilizing grated carrots, then bear in mind so as to add much less water, and that the cooking time may even scale back.
Methods to make Carrot Poriyal
1. Warmth 2 tablespoons sesame oil (gingelly oil) in a kadai or pan. Maintain the warmth to low and add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.
2. As soon as the mustard seeds start to crackle, add 1 teaspoon husked and break up black gram (urad dal).
3. Fry until the urad dal turns into golden on a low warmth. Do stir. Additionally, ensure that the lentils don’t get burnt.
4. Then, add 1 chopped inexperienced chili and eight to 9 curry leaves. Stir and blend.
Make Carrot Poriyal
5. Add 2 cups finely chopped carrots. Make certain to cut the carrots finely in small cubes or items, in order that they prepare dinner quick.
6. Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
7. Then, add 1 pinch asafoetida (hing). Stir and blend nicely.
8. Season with salt as required.
9. Add ½ cup water and provides a stir.
10. Cowl the pan with its lid and simmer on low warmth until the carrot is tender. Examine each 4 to five minutes. If the water dries up within the pan, then add some extra water.
11. As soon as the carrot is tender and cooked, add ⅓ cup grated recent coconut.
If there may be some water within the pan, let it evaporate earlier than including the coconut. Take away the lid and prepare dinner until all of the water is evaporated.
12. Combine very nicely after which change off the warmth.
13. Serve Carrot Poriyal sizzling or heat. You’ll be able to garnish with some chopped coriander leaves whereas serving.
- You’ll be able to both finely chop or grate the carrots. If utilizing grated carrots, then add much less water. The cooking time may even scale back.
- Complete dried purple chilies will also be used on this recipe, as a substitute of inexperienced chilies.
- Whereas cooking the poriyal, examine each 4 to five minutes. If the water dries up, then add some water, cowl and proceed to prepare dinner.
- Earlier than including the coconut as nicely, examine if there may be some water or moisture within the pan. If there may be, then prepare dinner with out the lid until the water evaporates. After this solely, add the coconut.
- Use recent, tender carrots to make the recipe. Moreover you’ll be able to range the recipe by including veggies like capsicum, cabbage, beets and inexperienced beans. On this case use equal parts of the greens that you simply plant to make the poriyal with.
- You’ll be able to simply double this recipe of Carrot Poriyal.
Please you’ll want to charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Carrot poriyal is straightforward and simple to organize dish from the South Indian delicacies. That is no onion no garlic recipe made with carrots, spices and coconut.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 25 minutes
Warmth 2 tablespoons sesame oil in a kadai or pan. Maintain the warmth to a low after which add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.
As soon as the mustard seeds start to crackle, then add 1 teaspoon urad dal (husked and break up black gram).
Fry until the urad dal turns into golden. Do stir. Additionally do ensure that the lentils don’t get burnt.
Then add chopped inexperienced chillies and curry leaves. Stir and blend.
Add finely chopped carrots.
Add turmeric powder and asafoetida.
Season with salt as required.
Add ½ cup water and provides a stir.
- Cowl the pan with its lid and simmer on a low flame until the carrots are tender and cooked. Do examine after each 4 to five minutes. If the water dries up within the pan, then you’ll be able to add some extra water.
- As soon as the carrots are cooked, then add grated recent coconut. If there may be some water within the pan, then let it evaporate earlier than including the coconut. Take away the lid and prepare dinner until all of the water is evaporated.
Combine very nicely after which change off the warmth.
Serve Carrot Poriyal sizzling or heat. You’ll be able to garnish with some chopped coriander leaves whereas serving.
- You should use a complete dry purple chili as a substitute of inexperienced chili.
- You’ll be able to both finely chop or grate the carrots. If utilizing grated carrots, then do bear in mind so as to add much less water and the cooking time may even scale back.
- Recipe will be doubled.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 125 Energy from Fats 90
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fats 3g
Monounsaturated Fats 3g
Vitamin A 10768IU215%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.04mg2%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 24mg120%
Vitamin B6 0.1mg5%
Vitamin C 46mg56%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 10µg10%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 250µg63%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Carrot Poriyal recipe put up from the archives, first revealed on April 2017 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source