This straightforward baked pasta is loaded with greens, further tacky, and severely irresistible. Our meatless baked pasta will please vegetarians and meat lovers alike. Jump to the Vegetable Baked Pasta Recipe
Watch The Video
Why I Love This Straightforward Baked Pasta
We’ve shared fairly a couple of vegetarian pastas already, however this further straightforward pasta bake simply may be on the prime of my favorites listing. Listed here are 4 causes to like this recipe:
- The recipe requires seasonal greens and reasonably priced pantry components.
- The pasta is hearty and ultra-satisfying. Even meat lovers adore this vegetarian baked pasta recipe.
- Baked pasta is the proper make-ahead meal. Search for all my ideas under.
- It’s extremely straightforward to make and could be tailored to be dairy-free/vegan (I’ve shared substitutions under).
How To Make The Greatest Veggie Baked Pasta
A number of years in the past, we shared our recipe for vegetable lasagna. So lots of you’ve gotten commented about how a lot you’re keen on the recipe, we got down to create one other veggie based mostly pasta, however one which doesn’t require almost as a lot time to make.
I nonetheless LOVE that lasagna, however once I’m brief on time, this tacky baked pasta is the place I flip. Since we’re as regards to pasta recipes, you may want to try our recipe for veggie spaghetti.
The Elements You’ll Want
The components for this straightforward pasta bake are easy. Right here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Pasta of alternative — I really like rigatoni, which is what we used within the images.
- Greens — These are as much as you. In our images, we used onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms. I’ve shared alternate options under.
- Marinara sauce — The sauce you utilize could be selfmade — here’s our recipe — or you should use store-bought. I really like Rao’s and Muir Glen sauces.
- Fennel and contemporary basil — A easy addition of spice and contemporary herbs are what makes this pasta style selfmade and contemporary.
- Ricotta and mozzarella cheese — The ricotta turns into pockets of creamy heaven and the mozzarella turns into melty and brown.
How I Make The Pasta
I begin by partially cooking my greens in a skillet on the range. I exploit the biggest oven-safe skillet in my kitchen in order that it may well double because the baking dish that goes into the oven.
In case you don’t have a big sufficient skillet, that’s okay, you’ll be able to at all times use a daily baking dish for the oven portion of the recipe. Listed here are the fundamental steps:
- Prepare dinner sliced onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms on the stove-top.
- Whereas the greens prepare dinner, carry a pot of water to a boil and prepare dinner the pasta.
- Mix the greens, pasta, contemporary basil, and marinara sauce.
- Sneak spoonfuls of creamy ricotta cheese into the pasta and greens.
- Add shredded cheese to the highest and bake till bubbly.
As I discussed above, the greens you add could be tailored based mostly on seasonality or what’s in your kitchen. I really like the mixture of onion, peppers, and mushrooms, however different greens work, too. Right here’s a listing of different veggies you should use:
- Cubed zucchini or summer season squash.
- Spinach, kale, or collard greens.
- Cubed eggplant.
- Cauliflower florets.
- Winter squash like butternut or delicata squash — It will take a bit extra time to prepare dinner.
Making Vegan Baked Pasta
One among my favourite issues about this pasta recipe is that it’s extremely straightforward to adapt. It’s already scrumptious earlier than including cheese so for a vegan variation, simply depart the ricotta and mozzarella out.
For just a little further “tacky” taste, I really like stirring a tablespoon or two of dietary yeast into the marinara sauce. You may additionally experiment with including vegan cheese alternate options.
Make Forward and Storing Ideas
Baked pasta is the proper make-ahead meal. Right here’s how I do it:
The vegetable sauce could be made prematurely and may final in your fridge as much as 3 days and in your freezer for about three months. We suggest utilizing freezer-safe glass containers, or double layers of freezer baggage to retailer sauces. To thaw, depart it in a single day within the fridge.
You possibly can refrigerate the pasta unbaked. Cowl and refrigerate the assembled, however unbaked pasta as much as 2 days. Whenever you cowl, use parchment or wax paper between the pasta and aluminum foil. Aluminum foil can react with the tomatoes.
Baked pasta additionally freezes effectively. Let it cool fully on a rack earlier than freezing, after which wrap it very effectively with foil (we use two layers). Defrost the frozen pasta in a single day within the fridge after which bake at 400°F for about 1 hour. (I desire baking after which freezing the pasta as a substitute of freezing raw pasta dishes.)
Extra Baked Pasta Recipes
Straightforward Vegetable Baked Pasta
- PREP 5mins
- COOK 25mins
- TOTAL 30mins
Vegetable baked pasta loaded with veggies, pockets of ricotta cheese, and topped with melty mozzarella. The greens you utilize could be tailored based mostly on seasonality, verify our article above for extra solutions. For a vegan variation, pass over the ricotta and mozzarella and as a substitute stir a few tablespoons of dietary yeast into the marinara sauce.
Makes 8 servings
Watch Us Make the Recipe
You Will Want
1 pound dried pasta; strive penne, rigatoni, or ziti pasta
1 tablespoon further virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion, about 6 ounces
2 small bell peppers, about 8 ounces
8 ounces mushrooms, 1 1/4 cups sliced
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds or floor fennel, see notes
3 cups marinara sauce or use 1 (28-ounce) jar store-bought sauce
Handful of contemporary basil leaves, torn or coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons ricotta cheese
2 cups coarsely shredded cheese; strive mozzarella, fontina cheese or an Italian mix
Salt and contemporary floor black pepper
- Put together Oven and Begin Pasta
- Put together Greens
- Bake Pasta
Warmth the oven to 350 levels Fahrenheit. When you have an oven-safe 12-inch deep skillet, you’ll be able to prepare dinner the veggies and bake the pasta in it. If you don’t, put together a 3-quart baking dish by flippantly greasing with olive oil.
Carry a big pot of salted water to a boil, after which prepare dinner the pasta. Examine the package deal for prepare dinner time, however prepare dinner the pasta two minutes lower than what’s suggest on the field (it would proceed to prepare dinner within the oven). Earlier than draining the pasta, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
Whereas the pasta cooks, put together the greens. Slice the onions and bell peppers into 1/4-inch thick slices.
Utilizing a humid paper towel, brush all filth from mushrooms. Lower away and discard any exhausting stems. Chop into 1/4-inch slices or, if there are bigger mushrooms like portobello, reduce into 1/4-inch cubes.
Warmth a large skillet over medium-high warmth. Add the oil then add the mushrooms, in a single layer, and prepare dinner till browned on one facet, 3 to five minutes. Stir then add the onions and peppers. Prepare dinner one other 3 to five minutes or till the veggies are beginning to soften and have some browned edges. Season to style with salt and black pepper (I often add 1/4 teaspoon of every).
Stir the fennel, marinara sauce, and basil into the greens. In case your skillet is massive sufficient, toss within the pasta and if the combination appears dry, add a splash of the reserved pasta water. If the skillet is simply too small, mix the sauce and pasta in a bowl. Modify with pasta water, after which add to a baking dish.
Style the pasta and modify with extra salt and pepper. Tuck spoonfuls of ricotta across the pasta, after which prime with the mozzarella cheese. Bake the pasta, uncovered, till the cheese melts and is effervescent, 20 to 25 minutes.
Adam and Joanne’s Ideas
- Fennel provides a light-weight licorice taste to the pasta and is without doubt one of the spices used to make Italian sausage. I exploit entire fennel seeds, however crack them open first to launch the oils. To make use of it entire, crack the seeds barely utilizing the heel of a chef’s knife or the underside of a frying pan.
- Diet info: The diet info supplied under are estimates. We have now used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.
Diet Per Serving: Serving Measurement 1/8 of the dish / Energy 354 / Whole Fats 5.9g / Saturated Fats 1.6g / Ldl cholesterol 13mg / Sodium 731.4mg / Carbohydrate 54.5g / Dietary Fiber 5.2g / Whole Sugars 8.9g / Protein 20.3g