Takeout will get a wholesome makeover with this simple Egg Roll in a Bowl. Made with floor turkey or rooster and broccoli slaw, it’s an unstoppably tasty 30-minute meal good for lunch, dinner, or a late-night snack.
Think about your favourite Asian takeout egg roll, however as a substitute of limiting your self to at least one or two to save lots of room for the primary occasion, this delish egg roll in a bowl is the primary occasion.
This recipe takes all of the star gamers in a traditional egg roll filling and turns them into a quick, wholesome meal that’s nice for fast dinners and phenomenal leftover too.
- Juicy meat (or tofu, when you desire your egg roll in a bowl vegetarian).
- Zippy recent ginger and garlic (key for this Healthy Chicken Stir Fry too).
- Salty, umami-factor soy sauce (or coconut aminos in order for you a keto, paleo, gluten free, or Whole30 egg roll in a bowl).
- Colourful, skinny strips of recent veggies for diet and crunch (when you love vegetable-focused stir fries, do this Vegetarian Pad Thai).
To get pleasure from, merely pile the delicious egg roll filling over your favourite rice (or cauliflower rice when you desire a low carb egg roll in a bowl), seize your fork or chopsticks, and DIVE ON IN!
You received’t miss the normal wrapper—promise!
5 Star Evaluate
“Love this dish, I’ve continued to make it a number of occasions and it by no means disappoints. My complete household loves it, even my younger youngsters. Easy, simple, wholesome, and quick to place collectively.”
— Carissa —
Easy methods to Make this Egg Roll in a Bowl
That is the BEST egg roll in a bowl recipe! It takes all the finest elements of an egg roll and sautés them collectively in a single skillet in lower than half-hour.
It’s sooner than supply, and so a lot better for you too (similar to my Healthy Fried Rice)!
- Floor Turkey. Historically egg rolls are made with floor pork, however as I used to be seeking to make mine wholesome, I made this egg roll in a bowl with floor turkey as a substitute.
- Broccoli Slaw. Except for being nutritious, broccoli slaw (just like common vegetable coleslaw combine however with shredded broccoli added) brings a pleasant crunch that replaces the normal crispy, fried egg roll wrapper. (It’s additionally the core ingredient for this Asian Noodle Salad.)
- Carrots. Sure, you need to use those that come pre-shredded in these cute little baggage.
- Mushrooms. Even when you don’t love mushrooms, I extremely suggest including them to this recipe. Like my Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps, the mushrooms’ style just isn’t outstanding. As a result of they’re finely chopped, their texture isn’t noticeable both. Mushrooms have a wealthy, distinctive savoriness that deepens the flavour of this egg roll in a bowl.
- Inexperienced Onions. For slightly zip and added chew.
- Chili Paste. Garlic chili paste, sambal oelek, and even sriracha sauce are all good choices for including a kick to this wholesome egg roll in a bowl.
- Garlic, Ginger, Soy Sauce, Rice Vinegar. The improbable 4. After you have these readily available, you’ll be able to garnish any of those healthy stir fry recipes.
- Sesame Oil. GAME CHANGER proper right here. A drizzle of this golden nectar provides an intense, nutty taste to any Asian-inspired recipe.
- Whisk collectively soy sauce and cornstarch, stir within the turkey, and let marinate when you prep the greens.
- Brown the turkey with the onions and mushrooms.
- Add the slaw, carrots, ginger, and garlic.
- Add the remaining egg roll elements. Pile over rice and ENJOY!
- To Make Whole30 or Paleo. For a Paleo and Whole30 egg roll in a bowl, swap coconut aminos for the soy sauce and swap arrowroot starch for the cornstarch. (This Asian Cabbage Salad can also be Whole30.)
- To Make Keto. Comply with the above instructions for Whole30.
- To Make Vegetarian. Swap the meat for crumbled extra-firm tofu. Press the water out of the tofu first, then crumble it proper into the blending bowl with the soy sauce and cornstarch. (Make sure you try this General Tso’s Tofu too.)
- To Make Gluten Free. Use tamari or coconut aminos as a substitute of soy sauce.
- Korean Beef Bowl. A equally enjoyable, quick, and scrumptious bowl recipe.
- Cabbage Stir Fry. A scrumptious, equally simple spin on this reader favourite.
- To Retailer. The filling for egg roll in a bowl lasts within the fridge for as much as 4 days in an hermetic storage container. You possibly can retailer the rice by itself or portion every little thing collectively into particular person serving containers for meal prep all through the week.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftover egg roll in a bowl within the microwave or in a wok over medium-low warmth. I discover the leftovers lose a few of their zip, so I prefer to prime mine with a couple of shakes of additional soy sauce.
- To Freeze. Place leftovers in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container and freeze for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating as directed above.
Should you overlook to thaw your frozen leftovers, you may reheat them slowly within the microwave or on the range with a splash of water (I did this and it was positive!).
For a scrumptious meal low in carbs, wrap the filling inside lettuce cups. You can additionally prime the leftovers with a fried egg for a tasty meal.
Really useful Instruments
- Small Whisk. No extra splashing your elements everywhere in the counter with this small whisk.
- Wok. A wok just isn’t essential to make this recipe, however it’s an awesome funding. It is a more affordable possibility. You can also make this recipe in any massive skillet.
- Chopsticks. Should you recurrently make Asian recipes at house, investing in a beautiful pair of washable, reusable chopsticks is effectively value it.
The Finest Wok
I’ve had this one for a few years, and I nonetheless find it irresistible. It’s non-stick, anodized aluminum development heats evenly for making an ideal stir fry.
Go forward and have seconds. That is an egg roll recipe that holds the energy, however not the unstoppably delish style!
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Sure. To make a vegan egg roll in a bowl, merely omit the bottom turkey. So as to add protein, you may swap for tofu (see the primary put up for instructions) or plant-based floor vegan “meat”.
Positive! Whereas I normally go for brown rice or cauliflower rice, you might additionally serve the egg roll filling over cooked rice noodles or soba noodles.
Should you don’t have rice vinegar in your pantry, you might attempt swapping for apple cider vinegar or pink wine vinegar. The flavour will probably be slightly completely different however nonetheless scrumptious! Use much less of the opposite vinegars, as they’re stronger.
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce divided (use coconut aminos to make Paleo, Keto, Whole30, or gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (use arrowroot starch to make Paleo, Whole30, or Keto)
- 16 ounces 90% or 93% lean floor turkey (to make vegetarian, swap crumbled extra-firm tofu; press it dry first)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small bunch inexperienced onions divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, grapeseed oil, or related neutrally flavored high-temperature cooking oil (olive oil will smoke, so I recommend one in every of these different oils as a substitute)
- 1 (12-ounce) bag broccoli coleslaw
- 1 cup grated carrots freshly grated from peeled carrots or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon recent ginger minced (or one teaspoon floor ginger, although the flavour will probably be much less vivid)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons recent chili paste (sambal oelek) or scorching sauce of selection plus extra to style
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon floor black pepper
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk collectively 1 tablespoon soy sauce and cornstarch with a fork. Add the turkey, breaking up the meat and stirring to coat with the sauce. Let marinate 10 minutes.
In the meantime, chop the mushrooms very finely and mince the garlic. Thinly slice the inexperienced onions. If any of your different elements aren’t but prepped, do it now.
Warmth a wok or massive, deep sauté pan over excessive warmth. Add the oil and swirl to coat. Add the marinated turkey and prepare dinner, breaking up the meat into small bits with a heatproof spatula, till it’s not pink and totally cooked by, about 5 minutes. Add the inexperienced onions (reserve a small handful for serving) and mushrooms and prepare dinner till the mushrooms soften, about 2 extra minutes.
Cut back the warmth to medium-low. Add the broccoli coleslaw, carrots, ginger, and garlic. Stir-fry for two minutes, till the greens are softened.
Add the rice vinegar, chili paste, sesame oil, black pepper, and remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, then stir to mix. Proceed to prepare dinner for 1 extra minute. Style and add extra soy sauce, scorching sauce, or black pepper as desired. Scoop into serving bowls (over brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice if desired). Serve scorching, sprinkled with extra inexperienced onions.
- TO STORE: Retailer the egg roll filling in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as 4 days. You possibly can retailer the rice by itself or portion every little thing collectively into particular person serving containers for a meal-prep method.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers within the microwave or in a wok over medium-low warmth. I discover the leftovers lose a few of their zip, so I prefer to prime mine with a couple of shakes of additional soy sauce.
- TO FREEZE: Place leftovers in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container and freeze for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, then reheat as directed above.
Serving: 1(of 4), about 1 1/2 cups with out riceEnergy: 263kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 24gFats: 15gSaturated Fats: 3gPolyunsaturated Fats: 5gMonounsaturated Fats: 6gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 84mgPotassium: 664mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 5495IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 57mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of as we speak and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.