Received some leftover Idli at dwelling? Don’t wish to simply reheat them and eat with the standard chutney and sambar? Effectively, I’ve simply received the recipe so that you can flip these right into a crunchy, munchy, yummy dish – the Fried Idli, a specialty from the meals tradition of Mumbai in Maharashtra. Apart from being a fast snack made with leftover idlis, this Fried Idli recipe can be a well-known breakfast dish in lots of South Indian eating places throughout Mumbai. With simply 4 components, this can be a vegan recipe as effectively.
About Fried Idli
Because the title of the recipe suggests, Fried Idli merely means idli that’s deep fried. Principally, on this recipe, the idlis are reduce into thick batons or fingers or wedges after which deep-fried to a crispy, golden perfection.
That is then adopted by a sprinkle of both of those floor spice powders on the crispy idlis – purple chilli powder, chaat masala powder, Idli Podi or pav bhaji masala.
This Fried Idli is the best way I might have the identical dish within the South Indian or Udupi eating places of Mumbai.
Whereas making this Fried Idli recipe at dwelling, you may customise the dish and select to sprinkle the fried idlis with any masala of your alternative. Personally, I really like the idli podi and purple chili powder with these crunchy idli fingers.
Along with this Idli Fry, these are a number of the easy-peasy and primary, but delicious dishes that you could make with leftover idlis:
This can be a tremendous simple recipe made with a minimal variety of components that you could ever think about of.
You’ll be able to relish this Fried Idli together with your favourite coconut chutney and even with tomato ketchup or a inexperienced chutney made with coriander or mint leaves.
The right way to make Fried Idli
1. Lower 4 to five refrigerated or day previous idlis into fingers or wedges or batons.
Don’t use idlis which are steaming sizzling or made on the identical day. As these are too tender, fluffy and moist, they’ll break within the oil whereas frying.
2. Warmth oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan until medium sizzling. Add the idli fingers and deep fry until mild golden or barely extra.
Don’t fry for an extended time and make them too golden or brown. Ideally, the fried idli items needs to be crisp from exterior and tender from inside.
It’s also possible to decide to pan fry or shallow fry them. If pan frying or shallow frying, then maintain the idlis entire and don’t chop them. It’s simpler to pan fry or shallow fry entire idlis than chopped idlis. In case you favor, you may also halve them.
3. Take away the smaller items first as they may get fried shortly. Drain the Fried Idli on kitchen paper towels to take away extra oil.
Sprinkle both chaat masala, purple chili powder, pav bhaji masala or idli podi on prime and a few salt. Combine effectively in order that masala coats the Fried Idli evenly.
Right here’s to leftover meals
I don’t learn about the remainder of the world and totally different delicacies cultures, however in India, meals is definitely thought-about as sacred and an emotion in itself.
Whether or not in north, south, east, west or central areas, an Indian is kind of delicate about their very own regional delicacies in addition to meals in totality.
So, with leftover meals as effectively, we Indians attempt to use it the utmost occasions and never dump it in trash bins. Particularly for dwelling cooks, cooking with leftover meals is a standard phenomenon of their day-today lives.
We would simply reheat the identical meals and eat it. However as a result of we’re additionally artistic, there are numerous dishes which are particularly created with leftover meals being the first ingredient.
Similar to this Fried Idli, there are numerous different Indian recipes which are developed utilizing leftover meals. There’s a whole vary of sabzis or dry vegetable preparations which are used as a stuffing or filling to make delicious sandwiches, rolls and wraps.
Then, there are dishes like this Masala Rice carried out with leftover rice, the Punjabi Aloo Tikki Chole with leftover chana masala and a few South Indian dishes like Kuzhi Paniyaram and Sweet Paniyaram made with leftover idli/dosa batter.
This recipe of Fried Idli occurs to be a success amongst all my members of the family too. So, each time there’s idli on the menu, the subsequent day I find yourself making this crispy and attractive dish for positive.
- To make this dish, you should utilize solely leftover idlis or a day-old idlis which were refrigerated. Don’t use recent idli as a result of it’s tender. Thus, can break within the oil whereas frying and take in a number of oil as effectively. It could possibly additionally stick to one another whereas frying.
- It’s all the time higher to refrigerate the idli for a couple of hours earlier than you fry them. This fashion, they received’t break whereas frying within the sizzling oil.
- In case you don’t wish to deep-fry the idlis, you may also both pan-fry or shallow-fry them.
- Whereas frying idlis, the smaller items get fried shortly as in comparison with the bigger items. So, you need to take away the small items first. If not carried out this fashion and fried all of the items equally, then the surface texture of smaller items will flip slightly dense because of further frying and it’s possible you’ll not like them.
- Don’t fry the idlis too brown. They need to be crisp from exterior and tender from inside.
South Indian Meals
Please you should definitely price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath when you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Because the title suggests, Fried Idli is solely idli that’s deep fried. The idli is chopped into wedges, batons or fingers and deep fried. Made with leftover idlis, serve this crispy, tasty snack with coconut chutney, sambar or tomato ketchup.
Prep Time 1 min
Cook dinner Time 10 minutes
Complete Time 11 minutes
Lower the refrigerated or day previous idlis into wedges, as proven within the photograph above within the step-by-step information.
Warmth oil in a kadai or pan until medium sizzling. Add the idli fingers and deep fry until mild golden or barely extra.
- Ideally, the fried idli items needs to be crisp from exterior and tender from inside. It’s also possible to pan fry or shallow fry them. Don’t make them too brown or golden.
Take away the smaller items first as they may get fried shortly. Drain the fried idli on paper towels to take away extra oil.
Sprinkle both purple chilli powder or pav bhaji masala or chaat masala or idli podi on prime and a few salt. Merely combine effectively in order that masala is coated evenly.
Serve the Fried Idli with sambar or coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.
- Use solely a day previous or refrigerated idli to make this snack. Freshly steamed idli can break within the oil whereas frying as they’re too tender, fluffy and moist.
- All the time refrigerate the idli earlier than frying.
- Choose to shallow fry or pan fry the idlis for those who favor. If pan frying or shallow frying, maintain the idli entire as it’s simpler to pan fry/shallow fry them this fashion. In case you favor, you may halve them.
- Add your alternative of spices and seasonings to the fried idli.
This Fried Idli from the archives first revealed in Might 2014 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.Source