Indian summers are as a lot concerning the Kokum Juice or Kokum Sharbat, as they’re about Shikanji, Mint Juice, Aam Panna and different basic drinks. This Kokum Juice recipe is a well-liked in Goan and Konkan households. Kokum Sharbat can be widespread at each retailer in Goa. A brilliant coolant, do that straightforward Kokum Sharbat recipe for all issues refreshing and rejuvenating for the physique. I share the strategies for making Kokum Juice syrup in addition to Kokum Sharbat.
Kokum or Garcinia Indica belongs to the mangosteen household. Flourishing within the Western Ghats of India and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, it is usually generally known as ‘Vrikshamla’ in Ayurveda. It’s thought of as one of the cooling fruits wealthy in antioxidants, flavonoids and different vitamins.
The kokum plant is a fast-growing tree bearing small and purple shade fruits, that are related in dimension to that of cherry tomatoes or plums. The fruit could be consumed in its contemporary type, minus the seeds and even dried and utilized in flavoring and including a pure pink shade to numerous Indian dishes.
The outer cowl of the fruit is dried within the solar to get what we name as dried kokum or amsol. After drying, the blackish purple yield has a bitter style and a sweetish aroma.
This dried kokum is used as a souring agent in curries, dals and different vegetable dishes in Maharashtrian, Gujarati, Konkani, Kerala and Goan cuisines. It is usually a main ingredient to bitter fish and prawn curries in Malvani and Goan cuisines.
The cooling kokum curry or Solkadhi is a quintessential summer season accompaniment. Aside from this, I additionally use kokum to arrange the Kokum Sharbat recipe, Khatti Meethi Dal and Sorak Curry at house.
Extra On This Kokum Juice
I normally keep away from shopping for the readymade Kokum Juice as I discover it overly candy. It additionally has white sugar added in enormous portions that I wish to keep away from. Thus, I’ve been counting on my do-it-yourself Kokum Juice recipe since a very long time.
Often, I make the Kokum Sharbat from dried kokum. Nevertheless, this Kokum Juice recipe is created from contemporary kokum. When you have semi dry or dried kokum too, this recipe is as adequate.
If you slice the kokum into two, there’ll be the outer cowl and the gentle pulp inside with the seeds. The outer shell has a really bitter and delicate candy style and the inside pulp is extraordinarily bitter.
Ensure that to discard the seeds, then mix the pulp and chopped outer cowl and pressure the combination. Cool and add it to a thick sugar syrup.
Whether or not to spice this Kokum Sharbat recipe or no with some cumin and cardamom, is totally your selection. I prefer it this fashion, so I normally add them.
One of the simplest ways to retailer this Kokum Juice is to refrigerate the combination in hermetic jar or bottles. Whereas serving, combine about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the kokum combination in a single glass of water. High with ice cubes and sip on to beat the summer season warmth!
Well being Advantages of Kokum
The very native to India fruit kokum, is not only a powerhouse of nutritional vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, however can be low in fat and energy. This Kokum Juice or Kokum Sharbat is among the finest methods you possibly can eat this nutritious fruit.
Beneath are among the many well being advantages of kokum.
- It is among the finest pure coolants for the physique and elevates the temper immediately.
- This fruit has digestive properties and helps enhancing the urge for food. Thus, Kokum Curry and Kokum Juice are nice accompaniments throughout or after a meal.
- As per Ayurveda, kokum is superb in lowering the ‘pitta dosha’ within the human physique.
- Consumption of kokum safeguards us from the chance of most cancers, helps in lowering melancholy and anxiousness.
- Kokum is nice for individuals with diabetes and extremely efficient for the guts and pores and skin too.
- Kokum can be used to deal with warmth rash and cracked heels. On a facet word, I bear in mind my mother rubbing kokum on the warmth rashes which we might get as youngsters.
- Don’t overcook the sugar syrup as this will lead to a charred taste within the juice. Additionally, alter the amount of sugar in line with the sourness of the kokum fruit.
- You must discard the seeds of the kokum fruit earlier than grinding the pulp.
- You may make this Kokum Juice recipe with dried kokum too. Nevertheless, it would result in a distinction in style as in comparison with the one made with contemporary kokum.
- Ensure that to chill the sugar syrup earlier than including the strained kokum combination to it.
- You should utilize jaggery as an alternative of sugar to make this Kokum Sharbat recipe more healthy.
- Relying in your style preferences, you possibly can skip the cumin powder and the cardamom powder.
- The Kokum Sharbat stays good for about 6 months to at least one 12 months as it’s made with sugar syrup. Ensure that to retailer it in a clear jar or bottle.
- One of the simplest ways to serve Kokum Juice is chilled with ice cubes. In case you don’t need to accomplish that, you need to use chilled water to dissolve the kokum syrup and eat it instantly.
- You may freeze the Kokum Sharbat into ice cubes or popsicles for cooling, refreshing treats.
The charred style within the Kokum Juice could be because of overcooking of the sugar syrup. Dried kokum is not going to lead to a charred style.
Sugar syrup-based drinks could be saved for a very long time because the concentrated sugar syrup acts as a preservative. If solely sugar is added, then the shelf life decreases significantly.
You may retailer this Kokum Sharbat for about 6 months to at least one 12 months within the fridge because it makes use of sugar syrup and never simply sugar.
Semi dried kokum could be saved for a couple of 12 months. Nevertheless, fully dried kokum stays good for a few years.
Kudampuli or Malabar tamarind is just not identical as kokum. Although, each are used as souring brokers.
In contrast to commercially produced syrups or squashes, preservatives usually are not added in do-it-yourself ones. So, it’s best to refrigerate the syrup.
Please make sure you fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath when you’ve got made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Kokum Juice Recipe | Kokum Sharbat
Kokum Juice is a refreshing and rejuvenating summer season beverage. The Kokum Sharbat drink widespread in Goan and Konkan households. Kokum Juice can be widespread at each retailer in Goa.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 40 minutes
Rinse the kokum fruits in water. (See notes beneath on making the sharbat from dried kokum).
Chop the kokum fruits and take away the seeds.
Hold the pulp and the outer cowl.
Grind or mix the fruit and pulp with little water in a mixer-grinder or blender to a high quality consistency.
Pressure the kokum combination.
Boil the sugar and water till the syrup turns into a bit of thick and sticky. It may be ½ string consistency.
Cool the sugar syrup after which add the strained kokum combination to it.
Add the roasted cumin powder and powdered cardamom.
Combine effectively. Retailer Kokum Juice in a clear jar or bottle and refrigerate.
When serving, dissolve 1 or 2 tablespoons Kokum Juice in a single glass of water.
Add ice cubes and serve chilled.
Easy methods to make Kokum Juice from dried kokum
- Rinse the dried kokum in water.
- Soak them in 2 cups of water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Gather the kokum in a blender and reserve the water. Hold this soaked water apart.
- Grind or mix them with among the reserved water to a clean combination in a mixer-grinder or blender. Pressure and put aside.
- Boil sugar with the remaining reserved water until the syrup seems little thick and sticky.
- Cool the sugar syrup and add the strained kokum paste to it.
- Add the powdered cardamom and cumin powder.
- Combine effectively and retailer in an hermetic bottle or jar within the fridge. If you don’t want to make sugar syrup, then simply dissolve the sugar within the kokum extract. On this case, you don’t want 2 cups of water. Simply 1 cup water can be utilized to soak the dried kokum after which grind them to a clean paste. Additionally, you’ll need 1 cup sugar or add as wanted. However with this technique, the shelf life shall be significantly diminished.
This Kokum Juice Recipe from the archives first printed in Could 2012 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source