There are few greens utilized in Indian delicacies, which aren’t actually common and are usually not given their due credit score by many individuals. Ivy gourd or tendli/tindora/kundru is one in every of them. The general public have an aversion in the direction of this veggie, therefore, it isn’t even that widespread in households. Nevertheless, I assure that with this Tendli Bhaji, that notion will change. This Tendli Recipe is a Gujarati model Kundru ki Sabji made with ivy gourd, potatoes and is simple, vegan and gluten free too.
About Kundru ki Sabji
I acquired this straightforward Tendli Recipe from a Gujarati good friend of my husband. Because of him and his mom, I now know a few Gujarati recipes too.
There’s one thing about this explicit meals tradition that won’t woo lots of people on the first go. However as soon as you retain attempting dishes from the Gujarati meals tradition, you’ll know the flexibility and the actual flavors, that are rather more than simply candy.
This Gujarati model Kundru ki Sabji is a type of recipes, which aren’t simply tremendous easy and fairly fundamental on the very first look, but in addition packs tremendous flavors in it and may be very effectively textured too.
The veggies ivy gourd (tendli) and potatoes (aloo) add to the feel bit in addition to make the dish comforting too.
Ivy gourd has many regional names in India. As an illustration, it’s ‘tendli or kundru’ in Hindi and Konkani, ‘tondli’ in Marathi, ‘tindora’ in Gujarati, ‘dondakaya’ in Telugu, ‘kovakkai’ in Tamil, ‘tonde kayi’ in Kannada, ‘kundri or toruni’ in Bengali, and many others. It’s small in dimension, however is taken into account as a surprise ingredient due to its medicinal and well being advantages.
You actually don’t should do a lot to arrange this Kundru ki Sabji. Simply fry your entire spices like mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, ginger, inexperienced chilies together with the chopped ivy gourds and potatoes in a strain cooker.
Then, spice it up with turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and pink chili powder (if utilizing), pour in some water and season it effectively.
Subsequent, simply cowl and strain cook dinner until effectively finished. You may preserve the Tendli Bhaji gravyish or simmer it additional for a semi-dry model.
Extra On This Recipe
Tendli or tindora has been an everyday vegetable at my mom’s place. She would make a Goan model Tendli Recipe, which we might relish with chapatis and dal. It was so common at my place that after a while I fairly acquired bored of it.
Once I was away from dwelling, I did miss this vegetable. Such are our minds. When we have now it, we become bored with it or take it without any consideration, and once we don’t have it, we miss it or lengthy for it.
Due to this Kundru ki Sabji, I’ve once more acquired a cling of it and have now made it part of my meals, at any time when I get ivy gourds.
My mom would make varied Goan-style coconut primarily based stir-fries with virtually all of the greens together with ivy gourds and I might merely love all of them.
Along with chapatis and dal, this Tendli Recipe tastes actually superb with Gujarati rotli, plain paratha and even dal-rice mixture.
Find out how to make Kundru ki Sabji
1. Clear 250 grams of tendli or tindora or kundru (ivy gourd) in water. Then, wipe them with a kitchen towel and chop lengthwise into 4 items. Wash, peel and cube 1 giant potato too.
Make Tendli Recipe
2. Warmth 2 tablespoons oil or ghee in a 2 litre strain cooker. Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds.
I’ve made Tendli Bhaji in my small strain cooker. It saves time, gasoline and is simple for me. Nevertheless, you may cook dinner this recipe in a heavy bottomed pan or kadai/wok too.
3. When the mustard seeds crackle, add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
4. Now, add 1 sprig curry leaves, 1 inch finely chopped ginger, 1 slit inexperienced chili and fry for a minute.
5. Add the chopped tendli and potatoes.
6. Add the next floor spices:
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon pink chili powder, if utilizing – the addition of pink chili powder is elective.
7. Stir to mix the spices evenly with the veggies. Add ½ cup water and salt as required.
8. Strain cook dinner on medium warmth for 1 to 2 whistles or until each the ivy gourds and potatoes are tender and cooked effectively. Examine if there’s any water nonetheless remaining.
If sure, then preserve the cooker on the stovetop, in order that the water dries up. Additionally, the potatoes and ivy gourds must be utterly cooked.
9. If you’d like just a little gravy, then you may preserve the water and no have to simmer the gravy. Since we like this Tendli Recipe as a facet dish with roti, I favor it with no water.
10. You may serve Kundru ki Sabji or Tendli Bhaji with Gujarati rotli or chapatis. This sabzi additionally goes effectively with plain paratha. You too can have it as a facet dish with dal and rice.
- To avoid wasting on time, gasoline and make it a simple activity, I often cook dinner this recipe in a small strain cooker. Nevertheless, you may also make it in a heavy bottomed kadai or pan/wok. Simply that it’s going to take some extra time for the veggies to cook dinner.
- You may decide to make the recipe with both oil or ghee (clarified butter).
- Including pink chili powder on this recipe is elective. You may skip it.
- For those who like coconut, add some coconut to the veggies, as soon as the cooking is full.
- To extend the spice stage, you may also improve the amount of inexperienced chilies and/or pink chili powder, if utilizing. For a barely tangy style, add ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur) as soon as the veggies are cooked.
- If you wish to make this dish with just a little gravy or curry, then preserve the water and don’t simmer the dish additional. For a dry model, preserve the cooker on warmth until the water dries.
- You can additionally skip including the potato and exchange it with some extra ivy gourds.
Please be sure you price the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Kundru ki Sabji | Tendli Recipe | Tendli Bhaji
This Gujarati model Kundru ki Sabji or Tendli Bhaji is made with ivy gourds (tendli, kundru, tindora), potatoes, spices and herbs. The Tendli Recipe is made with out onions, garlic and is gluten-free as effectively.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 50 minutes
Chopping ivy gourds
Rinse the ivy gourds in water just a few instances. Then wipe dry with the kitchen towel and chop the tendli lengthwise into 4 items.
Rinse, peel and cube the potatoes too. Slit the inexperienced chili.
Making kundru ki sabji
Warmth oil in a 2 litre strain cooker. Preserve warmth to a low and add mustard seeds.
When the mustard seeds crackle, then add cumin seeds.
Now add curry leaves, chopped ginger, slit inexperienced chili and fry for a minute.
Add the chopped ivy gourds and potatoes.
Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and pink chili powder if utilizing. Including pink chilli powder is elective.
Stir to mix the spices evenly with the veggies. Add ½ cup of water and salt as required.
Strain cook dinner on medium warmth for 1 to 2 whistles or until each potatoes and ivy gourds are cooked.
Examine if there’s any water nonetheless remaining. If sure, then preserve the cooker on the stovetop and simmer for some minutes – in order that the water dries up. Additionally the potatoes and ivy gourd must be utterly cooked and tender.
Nevertheless if you need just a little gravy, then you would preserve the water and simmer just for a couple of minutes.
Garnish with some chopped coriander leaves and serve Kundru ki Sabji with Gujarati rotli or chapati or phulka.
This Tendli Bhaji additionally goes effectively with plain paratha. You can even have it as a facet dish or as a facet veggie dish with dal and rice.
- You too can make this dish in a kadai (wok) or a frying pan. Cowl the pan with lid and simmer till the veggies are cooked via.
- For a spicier tasting sabji, add extra inexperienced chillies or pink chilli powder.
- For a barely tangy style, about ½ teaspoon of dry mango powder will be added to the dish.
- For those who like coconut, be happy so as to add some recent grated coconut as soon as the cooking is full.
- You may decide to make this recipe in both oil or ghee.
- Simply skip the potato and add some extra ivy gourds as a substitute.
This Tendli recipe put up from the archives, first printed on Might 2010 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source