Malai Kofta is a scrumptious dish of fried balls of potato and paneer in a wealthy and creamy gentle gravy made with candy onions and tomatoes. This melt-in-your-mouth recipe is a labor of affection, however one that’s nicely value it. Study to make this particular Indian meal with me! I’ll present you ways with step-by-step pictures and video.
What’s Malai Kofta
‘Malai’ means cream and ‘Kofta’ are fried balls of assorted components, widespread not solely in Indian delicacies, but additionally in Center Japanese, Balkan and Asian meals as nicely.
As an Indian and a vegetarian, the commonest forms of kofta that I’ve encountered are made with potatoes and blended veg. That mentioned, different koftas usually contains varied meats and may be considered just like Italian meatballs or Center Japanese kebabs.
Malai kofta is among the most sought-after Indian dishes in eating places all over the world, and for good purpose. The dish requires numerous effort to make, however in the long run, it’s all value it. On this scrumptious restaurant fashion malai kofta recipe, the kofta are made with paneer and potatoes.
Crisp on the skin and heavenly easy on the within, these tasty fried dumplings are dunked in a easy, mildly candy and lighted spiced curry. The mixture of the kofta with the curry tastes superior. You’ll simply should strive it to seek out out!
Why This Kofta Recipe Works
There are various variations of malai kofta recipes. This, nonetheless, is among the greatest malai paneer kofta you can also make at dwelling. Belief me after I say: this recipe is for retains.
On this recipe, the curry gravy is constructed from floor cashew paste, onion paste and tomato puree. The cashew paste makes the curry wealthy and creamy. I additionally add some cream for an opulent style as many occasions this dish is made for particular events or events. However you’ll be able to skip the cream if you’d like.
The kofta themselves are extremely tender with a consistency that’s nothing wanting beautiful. Crispy golden brown on the skin, with a delicious, melt-in-your-mouth inside, these dumplings are nothing wanting a present.
Whereas this recipe makes about 7 to eight paneer kofta, with the curry it’s greater than sufficient to feed 3 to 4 folks. Let me let you know that Malai kofta is a wealthy and heavy meal, so 1 – 2 kofta ought to be sufficient per serving.
I don’t learn about you, however all this discuss paneer kofta is making me HUNGRY! Let’s get to cooking, lets?
Find out how to Make Malai Kofta
The prep work is time intensive, so plan forward earlier than making the recipe. It’s essential make the gravy base and the kofta.
For the gravy you want onion paste, cashew paste and tomato paste. Cashew paste and tomato purée may be prepped forward and refrigerated for a day.
You’ll be able to select to make and form the kofta combination a day earlier than and refrigerate them to ease your work. That is what I do on events. So subsequent day you’ll solely have to fry the kofta and make the gravy.
Put together Kofta
1. First boil 2 medium to giant potatoes (200 grams) in a pan, Prompt pot or a strain cooker till fork tender or knife tender. Right here I’ve boiled the potatoes in a strain cooker protecting them with water for 4 to five whistles on medium warmth.
2. When the potatoes turn into heat or cool, peel them and grate them in a bowl. Use a field grater or a hand-held grater.
3. Add the next listed components to the mashed potatoes:
- 100 grams grated paneer or 1 cup grated paneer
- ¼ teaspoon purple chili powder (or cayenne pepper or paprika)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt as required
4. Subsequent add in 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch) or tapioca starch and three tablespoons almond flour or high quality almond meal.
TIP: Nut free? Don’t fear! As an alternative of almond flour, you should use 2 tablespoons milk powder OR 3 tablespoons khoya (mawa or dried evaporated milk solids).
5. Combine rather well, till the combination is uniform and type a neat dough. Cowl and put aside.
Fill and Form Kofta
6. In the meantime rinse should you favor and finely chop 10 to 12 cashews and 1 tablespoon raisins. Put aside. This would be the sweet-tangy and crunchy stuffing for the kofta.
If you’re not a fan of cashews or raisins, select to skip the stuffing or use your favourite nuts.
7. Portion the kofta combination and form into medium sized balls.
8. Take one kofta ball and flatten it together with your palms. Place a small portion of the cashews and raisins stuffing on flattened kofta dough. If it feels sticky, rub some oil in your palms earlier than stuffing and shaping the kofta.
9. Convey the perimeters collectively and form right into a neat ball. Make sure that the stuffing stays within the middle.
10. Stuff and form all of the kofta balls. Cowl with a lid and put aside at room temperature or refrigerate for half-hour.
Put together Kofta Gravy Parts
11. Now put together every the cashew paste, onion paste and tomato purée. Put aside. For this step, I all the time use the Magic Bullet as a result of not like a blender or chutney grinder, it’s fast and really straightforward to wash.
- For onion paste – Roughly chop 2 medium to giant onions. Measure and it is best to get about 1 cup heaped chopped onions. Add in a blender. With out including any water mix to a high quality consistency. When you’ve got problem mixing them, then add in a couple of tablespoons of water. Switch the onion paste or onion puree to a different bowl and put aside.
- For cashew paste – Soak 12 to fifteen tablespoons of cashews in scorching water for 20 to half-hour. Drain the water, add the soaked cashews in the identical blender with 2 to three tablespoons water or as wanted to make a thick or medium-thick high quality paste. Put aside. When you measure, you’ll get about 6 to 7 tablespoons of cashew paste. Take away it from the blender in a bowl and put aside.
- For tomato puree – Chop 2 medium to giant tomatoes. Guarantee to incorporate tomatoes which have a sweet-tangy style and never very bitter. Add them in the identical blender and mix to a high quality puree. While you measure the puree, it ought to be 1 cup. I like to recommend measuring the puree earlier than you start cooking so that there’s a steadiness within the flavors. If utilizing packaged tomato puree, add 1 cup of it.
12. Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a thick-bottomed or heavy frying pan or in a wok (kadai). Add the next entire spices and fry them for a couple of seconds or until they launch their aroma within the oil.
- 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf)
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 inexperienced cardamoms
- 2 single mace strands
- 2 cloves
13. Add the ready onion paste. Remember that sautéing onion paste takes extra time. Add a couple of pinches of salt to make it get cooking sooner.
14. Stirring usually sauté onion paste on a low to medium-low warmth.
15. After 9 to 10 minutes on a low to medium-low warmth, the onion paste will turn into mild golden, get cooked and depart the perimeters of the pan.
As you proceed to sauté, It’ll turn into lumpy, begin gathering round itself and steadily turn into golden. Stir continuous in order that the paste cooks evenly.
Whereas sautéing onions if they begin sticking onto the pan, add a couple of splashes of water. Combine and deglaze eradicating the caught onion paste particles from the pan. Proceed to sauté.
16. Proceed to sauté additional for five to six minutes or till it will get browned.
17. When onion paste has turn into golden add 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste. Combine and sauté for about 10 seconds or till uncooked aroma of ginger, garlic goes away.
18. Add the tomato purée.
19. Combine and sauté for six to 7 minutes on medium-low warmth.
20. Now add the next floor spices:
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon fennel powder – optionally available
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri purple chilli powder or paprika (or ½ teaspoon purple chilli powder or cayenne)
21. Combine nicely and sauté for 4 to five minutes.
22. Add the cashew paste.
23. Combine and sauté until the oil begins to depart the aspect of the masala paste. This may take about 9 to 10 minutes on low to medium-low warmth. The paste will turn into lumpy and collect round itself. It’ll additionally turn into barely shiny and you will notice some oil releasing from the perimeters.
24. Add ½ to 1 teaspoon sugar and salt in keeping with style.
25. Add 2 cups of water. Mix water totally with the sautéed masala paste with a spoon or wired whisk.
26. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes on low to medium-low warmth or till the gravy turns into thick and creamy sufficient. You must also see some oil specks on the highest layer of the gravy.
Malai kofta gravy is normally easy, creamy and barely thick. You’ll be able to hold it barely medium-thick consistency, the best way I’ve executed.
27. Add 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and a pair of tablespoons mild cream or cooking cream. Crush the dried fenugreek leaves in your palms and add. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes extra.
You too can use 1 tablespoon heavy or whipping cream as a substitute of sunshine cream.
28. Combine nicely and swap off the warmth. Examine the style of the curry and add sugar or salt if wanted.
Fry Paneer Kofta
29. Earlier than shaping and frying all the batch, verify a small tiny piece of the paneer kofta in scorching oil. If it doesn’t break or crumble, then you’ll be able to simply fry the remaining koftas.
If it does break, then add 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornflour (cornstarch) as a binder. Combine the binder in nicely, then form into koftas.
As quickly as you add this small piece of kofta, it ought to come up steadily and swiftly on prime of the oil. Because of this the oil is scorching sufficient for the kofta to be fried.
If the kofta ball stays on the backside or comes up slowly, the oil is heat. This may make your kofta take in numerous oil and so they could crumble within the oil.
If it comes up too shortly and will get browned or burnt, the oil could be very scorching. A extremely scorching oil will cook dinner the kofta from outdoors however the insides might be uncooked or undercooked.
30. Warmth oil in a pan till it reaches 180 to 190 levels Celsius (356 to 374 levels Fahrenheit).
Notice: You’ll be able to shallow fry or deep fry the kofta as you want. Right here I’ve deep-fried, however on events, I flatten the kofta to a patty/tikki form and shallow fry.
Rigorously add the paneer kofta to the recent oil, being cautious to not spatter the oil.
31. When one aspect turns into golden, gently flip over with a slotted spoon and fry the second aspect. Fry turning over a few occasions till golden on either side.
32. Take away to a paper towel lined plate. Working in batches, fry all of the paneer kofta this manner and drain them on a paper serviette in order that the additional oil is absorbed.
Serve Malai Kofta
33. To serve, add the fried kofta to the malai gravy. Now you’ve got the choice of including the kofta to the gravy within the pan and serving instantly. Or assemble in a serving bowl to make these look good after which serve.
If planning to serve it individually, then take the recent gravy in a serving bowl.
TIP: If serving malai kofta later, you’ll be able to put together the gravy and the kofta and refrigerate them individually. Solely mix whereas serving. Warmth the gravy in a pan till it’s scorching. If the gravy seems to be very thick, add a little bit of scorching water. Heat the kofta in a preheated oven for some minutes at 120 levels Celsius (250 levels Fahrenheit).
These paneer koftas are actually smooth, so should you add them to the gravy whereas storing, they may break and crumble. So solely add them to the gravy when you’re about to serve.
34. Gently place the paneer kofta on the gravy. Pour a drizzle of cream or prime with grated paneer.
35. Garnish malai kofta with coriander leaves or mint leaves and serve with roti, naan or jeera rice, saffron rice or paratha or rumali roti.
You too can use soaked almonds as a substitute! If you’re nut free, you’ll be able to decide to make use of just a little bit extra cream within the recipe.
Whereas making the kofta, As an alternative of almond flour, use 2 tablespoons milk powder OR 3 tablespoons khoya (mawa or dried evaporated milk solids).
To make any paneer dish, it’s all the time higher to make use of home made paneer.
Malai kofta is greatest served with roti, paratha, naan or roomali roti. I additionally love serving it with phulka. If you’re avoiding gluten, plain steamed basmati rice or jeera rice goes nicely with it.
Historical past of Kofta
Primarily a spiced meatball, ‘kofta’ is believed to have a Turko-Persian lineage which dates again to the 11th century. The Persian phrase ‘kufta,’ which means ‘to grind,’ is the place the phrase ‘kofta’ comes from. Over time, koftas turned vegetarian and even vegan.
A number of the most primitive Arab cookbooks are mentioned to have a point out of kofta recipes in them. In response to meals historians, the kofta reached India with the Mughals. The particular Nargisi Kofta was served within the royal courts that point. The British Scotch Eggs are believed to be impressed by this explicit Indian kofta dish.
Identical to this Lauki Kofta and widespread Malai Kofta, India has a fair proportion of regional and nationwide variations in koftas. From various kinds of meats, greens, lentils/pulses used within the making to numerous shapes like spherical, cylinder or patties, the kofta has actually come off age.
Aside from India and Turkey, kofta is legendary in lots of different elements of the world underneath totally different monikers. They’re part of the normal cuisines of Morocco, Romania, Greece, Georgia, Albania, Bulgaria, Armenia, and many others. Some genuine variations are raw too.
Please make sure to fee the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under when you’ve got made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Malai Kofta Recipe (Paneer Kofta)
Malai Kofta is a scrumptious recipe of fried balls of potato and paneer in a wealthy, frivolously candy, creamy gentle gravy made with onions, tomatoes, cashews and spices. This melt-in-your-mouth recipe is a labor of affection, however one that’s nicely value it.
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook dinner Time 45 minutes
Complete Time 1 hr 30 minutes
For stuffing kofta – optionally available
Making paneer kofta
Combine all of the components talked about underneath “For making paneer kofta” ingredient checklist besides oil in a bowl.
Rinse with water should you favor and finely chop 10 to 12 cashews and 1 tablespoon raisins. Put aside. This would be the sweet-tangy and crunchy stuffing for the kofta.
Make medium sized balls from the kofta combination. If it feels sticky, rub some oil in your palms earlier than shaping the kofta.
Flatten one kofta ball frivolously together with your palms on a chopping board or a rolling board. Place a small portion of the cashews and raisins stuffing on it.
Gently bringing the perimeters collectively, form right into a neat ball. Rub some oil in your palms whereas shaping. Make it possible for the stuffing stays within the middle of the kofta.
Fill and form all of the kofta on this method.
Cowl with a lid and put aside at room temperature or refrigerate for half-hour.
Making kofta gravy
Warmth oil in a thick bottomed or heavy pan or skillet.
Add all the entire spices and fry for a couple of seconds or till the spices crackle and the oil turns into aromatic.
First add the onion paste. Stirring usually sauté the onion paste till it turns into golden. To quicken the cooking of onions, add a couple of pinches of salt whenever you start to sauté the paste.
When the onion paste has turn into golden, add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for about ten seconds or till the uncooked aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away.
Add the tomato puree and sauté for six to 7 minutes on a low to medium-low warmth.
Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, kashmiri purple chili powder, garam masala powder.
Combine nicely and sauté for 4 to five minutes stirring usually.
Add cashew paste. Combine nicely and sauté till the oil begins to depart the aspect of the masala paste.
This sautéing takes about 9 to 10 minutes on low to medium-low warmth. You will note that the paste turns into lumpy and gathers round itself. It’ll additionally turn into barely shiny with some oil releasing on the sides.
Then add sugar and salt as per style.
Add water. Combine totally with a spoon or wired whisk.
Simmer till the gravy begins to thicken. This takes about 8 to 10 minutes on a low to medium-low warmth. The consistency of the gravy may be medium-thick to thick. When the gravy is cooked by way of, you’ll some oil specks on the highest of the gravy.
Lastly add the crushed dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) and cream.
Combine nicely and set the gravy apart. Examine the style and add extra salt or sugar if wanted.
Warmth oil in a frying pan or a wok (kadai).
Earlier than shaping and frying all the batch, verify a small tiny piece of the paneer kofta in scorching oil. If it doesn’t break, then you’ll be able to simply fry the remaining koftas.
If it does break, then add 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornflour (cornstarch) as a binder. Combine the binder in nicely, then form into koftas.
The kofta must also come up swiftly but steadily within the scorching oil. This implies the oil is scorching sufficient for the kofta to be fried. If it browns too shortly, the oil could be very scorching and if the kofta stays on the backside, the oil is heat.
Rigorously add the paneer kofta to the recent oil, being cautious to not spatter the oil. The oil ought to be medium scorching and have a temperature of 180 to 190 levels Celsius (356 to 374 levels Fahrenheit).
When one aspect turns into golden, gently flip over with a slotted spoon and fry the second aspect. Fry turning over a few occasions till golden on either side.
Take away with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Working in batches, fry all of the paneer kofta this manner and drain them on a paper serviette in order that the additional oil is absorbed.
Serving malai kofta
If serving instantly, add the fried paneer kofta to the gravy within the pan.
Or if you wish to serve it in a greater approach, take a few of the gravy in a serving bowl. Place the kofta neatly on the gravy. Drizzle some cream or prime with grated paneer. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves or mint leaves and serve.
If serving a couple of hours later, reheat the gravy till scorching. If it seems to be very thick, add a little bit of scorching water. Heat the kofta in an oven at 120 levels Celsius or 250 levels Fahrenheit for some minutes. Place kofta on the gravy. Add the garnishes and serve.
Notice that these paneer kofta are actually smooth. So should you add them to the gravy and serve them later, they may break. It’s a must to serve them instantly as quickly as you add them to the gravy.
Serve malai kofta scorching or heat with roti, naan, steamed basmati rice or jeera rice.
- For greatest tasting, koftas use contemporary home made paneer.
- Add the paneer kofta to the gravy solely when you’re about to serve.
- The recipe may be halved, or doubled or tripled.
- Use tomatoes which have a candy style. Extremely sour-tasting tomatoes will make the gravy too tangy and it turns into to tough to steadiness the tanginess.
- You’ll be able to alter the consistency of the gravy by including roughly. Hold the gravy medium to a thick consistency.
Malai Kofta Recipe (Paneer Kofta)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 539 Energy from Fats 351
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 9g56%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 20g
Ldl cholesterol 27mg9%
Vitamin A 908IU18%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 34mg41%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 8mg53%
Vitamin Ok 18µg17%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 38µg10%
* P.c Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Malai Kofta recipe submit from the weblog archives (first revealed on Could 2013) has been republished and up to date on 4 June 2021.Source