There are such a lot of recipes that may be made with Pumpkin – a veggie from the squash household. Identical to this Pumpkin Erissery, which is a beautiful dish from the delicacies of Kerala. Also referred to as Mathanga Erissery, it’s a mildly tempered curry with slight candy tones from the pumpkin and coconut. It’s also gluten-free and vegan as all of the elements on this recipe are plant-based.
About Mathanga Erissery
The Malayalam phrase ‘mathanga’ means ‘yellow pumpkin’ in English. ‘Erissery’ is a Kerala fashion curry of vegetable or legume, coconut paste and tempering of fundamental South Indian elements.
Also referred to as ‘elisseri’ or ‘ellisherri,’ it is among the essential dishes that’s served within the conventional vegetarian feast ‘sadya’ throughout Onam pageant.
On this submit, I’m sharing one of the widespread variations of this dish, which is a no onion, no garlic Mathanga Erissery.
This was truly made at house, once I had bought the pumpkin or kaddu to make a candy halwa and as a substitute ended up making this scrumptious and comforting erissery.
Along with the mathanga on this Pumpkin Erissery, different elements and components embody cowpeas or black eyed beans, floor spices, a coconut paste and a tempering manufactured from curry leaves, mustard seeds, dried purple chilies and recent coconut.
Since this can be a basic recipe from Kerala, a South Indian state, the tempering is completed in coconut oil. I’ve used black-eyed cowpeas, however you may also use purple cowpeas. Apart from this, typically pigeon peas (arhar dal) could also be added on this preparation.
There are completely different variations of an erissery that may be made with unripe plantains/banana, yam, and so forth.
About This Pumpkin Erissery Recipe
For this Pumpkin Erissery recipe, I referred to 2 sources on Kerala delicacies – the primary one being Nag’s weblog Edible Garden and the second, a cookbook on the meals of Kerala that I’ve.
The recipes in each these locations have been virtually the identical, particularly the apt approach and methodology. I’ve tailored the Pumpkin Erissery recipe from each these sources and have tried my greatest to remain true to the authenticity.
Since this dish is one important function on the Onam sadya menu, you actually can’t be doing a lot experimentation with it. So, this recipe of Mathanga Erissery is sort of easy and easy.
Each the pumpkin and cowpeas are cooked, then the coconut paste is added and simmered. That is later tempered with the same old South Indian elements in coconut oil.
The coconut oil imparts a basic style to the dish. However if you want, you can also make it in another vegetable oil as properly.
This Pumpkin Erissery tastes greatest with steamed rice, and also you truly don’t require the rest to go along with it. However if you would like, you’ll be able to have a facet of Sambar too with the rice and the erissery.
Additionally, if you’re searching for extra genuine Onam recipes, do take a look at the gathering of Kerala Onam Recipes.
- Onions and garlic: Since this dish is primarily served within the spiritual Onam sadya feast, it doesn’t have any onion or garlic. However, if you’re making it at house on an everyday day, you’ll be able to even add some sambar onions within the tempering.
- Coconut paste: You need to grind the coconut paste easily and to a effective consistency. It may be thick to medium consistency, however not very watery.
- Few elements swaps: This erissery could be made with yam, uncooked banana, and so forth. As an alternative of the cowpeas, you may also add pigeon peas.
- Sort of coconut: For each the paste and the tempering, you’ll be able to both use recent or frozen coconut. You could possibly additionally use unsweetened dry desiccated coconut. However make an observation that the desiccated coconut will give a unique style to the curry.
- Spicy curry: If you wish to make a spicy erissery recipe, then you’ll be able to improve the variety of inexperienced chilies within the coconut paste.
- Fat: Coconut oil is most popular to make the tempering. In case you’ve gotten an aversion in direction of this specific oil, then you need to use another vegetable oil on this dish.
Gluten Free Recipes
Please remember to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Mathanga Erissery | Pumpkin Erissery Recipe
Pumpkin Erissery is a light and tempered curry with mild candy tones made with pumpkin, cowpeas and coconut. A Kerala conventional dish served throughout onam sadya.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 50 minutes
For cooking pumpkin
For cooking black eyed peas
For the coconut paste
Rinse the cowpeas or black eyed beans very properly in water a couple of occasions.
- Strain cook dinner them with 2 or 2.5 cups water with a little bit of salt on medium warmth for 7 to 9 whistles or extra till they’re cooked utterly and softened. Drain and maintain apart.For a fast cooking of the black eyed peas, soak them in water for one to 2 hours.
Let the strain drop by itself within the cooker after which solely open the lid. Drain all of the water utilizing a strainer and maintain the cooked black eyed peas apart.
Rinse the pumpkin, peel and chop into chunk sized cubes.
Making mathanga erissery
Take the pumpkin cubes and 1 cup water in a saucepan or medium-sized pot.
Add turmeric powder, purple chili powder and salt.
Cowl the pan and cook dinner the pumpkin for 12 to fifteen minutes or extra on a low warmth until they’re softened.
- Test the pumpkin a couple of occasions when they’re cooking, to see if the water has not dried up. If the water dries up, then add some extra water and proceed to cook dinner.
Swap off the warmth as soon as the pumpkins are tender.
Whereas the pumpkins are cooking, take the grated coconut, inexperienced chilli and cumin in a grinder jar.
Add ½ cup water and grind to a easy and effective paste.
Add this coconut paste to the cooked pumpkins within the pan. Additionally add the cooked black eyed peas.
Add ½ cup water or extra if the consistency appears very thick. The consistency is thick to barely thick.
Stir properly and place the pan on the stovetop and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or extra until the flavors are properly blended.
- If the curry turns into very thick, add some extra water. The consistency of the curry is thick to barely thick, so alter the quantity of water in accordance with your preferences.
When accomplished cowl with a lid and maintain apart.
In a small pan, warmth coconut oil. crackle the mustard seeds first.
Then add the curry leaves and the purple chilies.
Fry until the curry leaves begin to turn out to be crisp and the colour of the purple chilies change.
Add the grated coconut and sauté until the coconut turns into golden.
The recent coconut gratings soak up all of the oil.
So carry on stirring and sauté on a low warmth, in order that the coconut doesn’t get burnt and there’s even browning.
Pour this entire tempering combination into the Mathanga Erissery.
Stir and serve Pumpkin Erissery scorching or heat with some steamed rice or sambar.
- This recipe may also be made with the inexperienced skinned pumpkins.
- Each purple cowpeas and white cowpeas or black eyed peas work properly within the recipe. Relying on the standard and measurement of the cowpeas, improve or cut back the cooking time.
- Prepare dinner the cowpeas till tender and softened. Don’t overcook them as they find yourself turn out to be pasty and mushy.
- If out of recent coconut, use unsweetened desiccated coconut or dried shredded coconut as a substitute. However remember that the style can be completely different with desiccated coconut.
- As an alternative of inexperienced chilli, you would additionally add about ¼ to ½ teaspoon of black peppercorns whereas making the coconut paste.
- You possibly can simply scale up the recipe to make for the Onam feast.
Mathanga Erissery | Pumpkin Erissery Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 302 Energy from Fats 180
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 17g106%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Vitamin A 5938IU119%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.3mg20%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 47mg235%
Vitamin B6 0.2mg10%
Vitamin C 89mg108%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 3µg3%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 664µg166%
* % Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Mathanga Erissery recipe submit from the archives first revealed on September 2013 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source