This publish has a recipe of the nutritious Milk Masala Powder that was made at house throughout my rising up years. Made with many nuts and flavoring spices, this mix just isn’t solely wholesome however good for everybody. With this straightforward, no-frills recipe, even you may make this do-it-yourself Masala Dudh Powder in bulk and use it at any time when required.
What’s Milk Masala Powder
‘Masala’ means a ‘spice mix’ or a ‘combination of spices.’ ‘Milk powder’ as on this recipe, means a ‘floor powdered type of nuts and spices’ which is added to take advantage of to taste it.
This aromatic nuts and spice mix may also be added to plant based mostly milks like almond milk or cashew milk. Personally, I don’t just like the style of plain soy milk. So, I’m not suggesting it. However you may undoubtedly strive with soy milk.
You may also add a number of teaspoons of the Milk Masala Powder to varied Indian sweets like Phirni, Kheer, Gulab Jamun, Suji Halwa and the likes. It will solely improve the flavour and richness of those conventional Indian sweets.
Aside from including to sweets, I normally make a beverage by including this aromatic mix of Masala Dudh Powder to scorching milk.
Simply add a 2 to three teaspoons of this nut-spice powder in a glass of milk (dairy or vegan). Add sugar or some other sweetener you favor. Stir and sip on.
You may skip the sugar too. Keep away from including honey. As per Ayurveda, honey turns into poisonous when heated. Therefore, shouldn’t be added to scorching drinks. If not heating up the milk and serving chilled or at room temperature, then you may add honey.
One glass of scorching milk with the Milk Masala Powder within the evening additionally aids in getting sound sleep. The spice nutmeg within the powder calms, relaxes and helps in getting sleep.
With all of the nuts and spices in it, this Masala Dudh Powder makes for a wonderful milk-based beverage, for each youngsters and adults alike.
About My Recipe
Once we have been in class, mother would give me Turmeric Milk within the morning and a chilly or heat masala milk (relying on the season) within the evenings or nights.
Nicely, milk was fairly a compulsory for my household. We have been by no means uncovered to tea or espresso. Though, an occasional sip of Tea or Coffee was allowed after we would exit to dine at eating places.
As a household, now we have tried each do-it-yourself in addition to store-brought Milk Masala Powder. I might all the time give a thumbs as much as the do-it-yourself one. This recipe is once more a household recipe, with a number of variations of my very own so as to add a extra healthful contact.
Along with the nuts (almonds, cashews and pistachios), what I even have added on this Masala Dudh Powder are pumpkin seeds and dried rose petals. These aren’t important and you may skip them.
The aromatic spices added are cardamom, black pepper, nutmeg, turmeric and saffron. I’ve additionally included fennel seeds that are good for digestion. However once more, you may skip it.
Saffron is pricey. So, as a substitute of saffron, you may enhance the amount of turmeric powder. I’ve talked about the small print within the notes part of the recipe card beneath.
The turmeric powder offers a pleasant faint yellow coloration and is sweet for the physique too. If saved within the fridge, the shelf lifetime of this masala powder is about 1 to 2 months. You may also retailer within the freezer to extend the shelf life.
The best way to make Milk Masala Powder
1. Warmth a pan and add the nuts and seeds:
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup pistachios
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
Dry roast for 3 to 4 minutes on low warmth. Take away and hold apart on a plate or tray.
Use contemporary nuts to make the milk powder. Keep away from utilizing nuts whose shelf life has expired or nuts which have gone rancid.
2. In the identical pan, add ½ teaspoon saffron strands (kesar).
3. Stir until the colour of the saffron modifications to a darker shade. Take away and hold apart.
4. Grate the nutmeg (jaiphal) and hold apart. Measure and take about 3.5 teaspoons of grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder.
Make Milk Masala Powder
5. As soon as the nuts cool, add them in a mixer-grinder jar or spice grinder together with the substances listed beneath:
- 3.5 teaspoons of grated nutmeg
- ½ to 1 tablespoon dried rose petals
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
- seeds from 20 grams inexperienced cardamom
- 5 tablespoons sugar
In case you have a small dry grinder jar, then you’ll have to grind in batches. Take away the husks of the inexperienced cardamoms and add solely the seeds.
6. Grind to a nice powder. Whereas grinding, grind in brief spurts and never at a stretch, in order that you don’t find yourself making a flavored combined nut butter from the assorted nuts.
7. Take away the Masala Dudh Powder and hold in an air-tight container or jar. Retailer within the fridge, because the nuts might get rancid.
The recipe yields a medium jar of Milk Masala Powder. If saved within the fridge, then shelf lifetime of this powder is about 1 to 2 months. You may also freeze it.
8. To serve, dissolve 2 to three teaspoons of Milk Masala Powder in a glass of scorching milk or chilled milk. Add sugar if required. Stir and serve.
- If skipping saffron, add an total ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder in complete.
- In case you resolve to not add the pumpkin and melon seeds too, then, the next spices have to be lowered in amount – 14 to fifteen inexperienced cardamoms, ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns, ½ teaspoon fennel seeds (elective), 2 to 2.5 teaspoons nutmeg (grated or powdered), ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Be sure to make use of contemporary nuts and the edible seeds which might be of their shelf life and haven’t turned rancid.
- Whereas grinding the substances, guarantee eradicating the cardamom husks and use solely the seeds.
- This milk spice mix stays good within the fridge for about 1 to 2 months.
- For a dairy free or vegan model, use almond milk or soy milk. If utilizing soy milk, then use natural and Non-GMO soy milk.
Please you should definitely fee the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath you probably have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Milk Masala Powder | Masala Dudh Powder
Milk Masala Powder is a aromatic wholesome combine or mix that’s added to taste milk. This wholesome mix is made with nuts, rose petals and some aromatic spices.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Complete Time 10 minutes
Warmth a heavy frying pan or skillet and add these substances – almonds, pistachios, cashews, pumpkin seeds/melon seeds.
Dry roast for 3 to 4 minutes on a low warmth stirring typically till calmly toasted.
Take away and hold apart in a plate or tray. Use contemporary nuts and never those whose shelf life has expired.
In the identical pan, add the saffron strands.
Preserving warmth to a low, stir and roast for greater than half a minute, until the colour of the saffron modifications to a darker shade. Take away and hold apart.
Grate the nutmeg and hold apart.
As soon as the nuts calm down, then add every little thing in a dry grinder jar, together with rose petals, fennel, black pepper, turmeric powder, cardamom seeds and sugar.
In case you have a small dry grinder jar, then you’ll have to grind in batches. Grind to a nice powder. Grind in brief spurts and never at a stretch.
Take away the Milk Masala Powder and hold in an hermetic container or jar. Retailer within the fridge or freezer, because the nuts might get rancid.
The recipe yields a medium jar of milk powder.
To serve, dissolve 2 to three teaspoons of the Milk Masala Powder in a glass of scorching milk or chilled milk. Add sugar as required. Stir and serve the flavored milk.
- If you wish to skip saffron and add turmeric powder, then simply add an total quantity of ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- You may also skip including turmeric powder, for those who favor.
- If not including pumpkin/melon seeds, then cut back the amount of following spices to:
Inexperienced cardamoms – 14 to fifteen
Black pepper – ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon
Fennel seeds – ½ teaspoon, elective
Grated or powdered nutmeg – 2 to 2.5 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon, elective
- If saved in fridge, then shelf lifetime of this milk masala powder is about 1 to 2 months. You may also retailer it within the freezer.
- For a dairy free model, use almond milk or soy milk. If utilizing soy milk, then use natural and Non GMO soy milk.
- Be aware that the approximate vitamin information is for the complete lot of the mix made with this recipe.
Milk Masala Powder | Masala Dudh Powder
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 1713 Energy from Fats 1017
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 16g100%
Trans Fats 0.03g
Polyunsaturated Fats 29g
Monounsaturated Fats 59g
Vitamin A 181IU4%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 6mg30%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 12mg15%
Vitamin E 21mg140%
Vitamin Ok 34µg32%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 103µg26%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Milk Masala Powder recipe from the archives first revealed in August 2014 has been up to date and republished on January 2023.Source