Typically, it’s the easiest dishes, that stir a whole whirlwind of feelings, consolation and satisfaction inside our physique. Similar to a Jeera Rice or ghee rice with probably the most fundamental components and hardly any steps to be adopted, nonetheless bringing in that ‘wow’ think about our meals. The Nei Choru or Neychoru from ‘God’s personal nation’ Kerala is simply one other variation of the attractive ghee rice. This delicacy makes use of a particular selection known as ‘kaima rice’ or ‘jeerakasala rice.’
About Nei Choru
First issues first, the which means of the identify. The Malayalam phrases ‘nei’ or ‘ney’ refers to ‘ghee’ and ‘choru’ refers to ‘rice.’ Therefore, when put collectively, it’s merely a savory dish of rice, ghee, spices and seasoning which is kind of fragrant. There could also be different flavorings like nuts, dry fruits and fried onions like I’ve added in my recipe.
As apparent from the identify, Nei Choru is a Malabar specialty from the delicacies of the South Indian state Kerala. Additionally, historically, a sure number of rice, known as kaima rice is used to make this dish. This rice can also be known as jeerakasala rice, jeerasal or seeraga samba rice.
The primary distinction between the kaima rice and basmati rice is that the previous one is quite a lot of quick grain rice, however is equally flavorful and aromatic as its lengthy grain counterpart. Kaima rice has a typical non-sticky texture which is taken into account fairly splendid for making South Indian biryani, like a Malabar or Thalassery biryani.
Whilst you do that recipe of Nei Choru, right here’s a taste loaded vegetable Kerala Biryani, that you have to check out as nicely. It’ll even be a scrumptious change out of your common Mughlai and Awadhi biryanis.
Extra on Neychoru Recipe
This submit mentions the best way I put together a Kerala model Nei Choru at my dwelling. The recipe may be very straightforward, no hassles or fanciness connected to it, but is ready to take your easy on a regular basis meal to a distinct degree.
So, quite than having the nice ol’ plain steamed rice-dal-sabzi meal, add some extra efforts and put together this yum Neychoru. Since that is additionally an oomphed up ghee rice, it additionally goes nice with dals or thick gravies.
If you’re trying to find the basic manner of constructing this rice-based dish, this Ghee Rice with basmati rice is your go-to recipe.
For an genuine expertise of the Nei Choru, you have to use the kaima rice. However in case you are dealing with difficulties in sourcing this specific kind of rice or don’t have it helpful at dwelling, your subsequent good possibility is the favored basmati rice.
Neychoru tastes out-of-the-world scrumptious with any coconut-based curry like a veg korma, potato stew or some other stew of your alternative. Because the flavors are refined on this Kerala model ghee rice, you may as well have it with parippu curry or some other dals.
Tips on how to make Nei Choru
1. Rinse 1.5 cups kaima rice (seeraga samba rice) or basmati rice (300 grams) in water a few occasions. Then, soak rice in sufficient water for 20 to half-hour. Later, drain the water and maintain apart.
2. Warmth 4 tablespoons ghee in a thick bottomed pan.
3. Then, add ½ cup thinly sliced onions.
4. Combine and start to sauté the onions on low to medium warmth.
4. For sooner cooking of the onions, add a pinch of salt. Carry on stirring and sautéing the onions until they flip crisp and golden.
5. Sauté until the onions flip crisp and golden.
6. Take away the fried onions with a slotted spoon and maintain apart.
7. In the identical pan, add 12 to fifteen cashews.
8. Fry cashews until golden.
9. Take away the fried cashews with a slotted spoon and maintain apart.
10. Subsequent, add 1 tablespoon raisins. When the raisins puff up, take away and maintain apart.
Make Nei Choru
11. To the identical pan, add the entire spices – 1 tej patta, 1 inch cinnamon, 3 cloves and three inexperienced cardamoms. Sauté until the spices splutter and crackle.
12. Subsequent, add ½ cup thinly sliced onions.
13. Sauté the onions stirring usually until translucent.
14. Add the soaked kaima rice grains.
15. Season with salt as per style.
16. Gently combine the rice with the remaining components.
17. Add 3 cups water and blend nicely. Test the style of the water and it ought to style barely salty. If not, then add some extra salt.
For an al dente texture within the rice, you’ll be able to add 2.5 to 2.75 cups water.
18. Cowl the pan with its lid. On low warmth, simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked, tender and fluffy.
Do examine a few occasions when the rice is cooking. If the water has dried up and rice grains are undercooked, then add some extra water.
19. As soon as completed, gently fluff the rice.
20. Serve Neychoru garnished with the fried onions, fried cashews, fried raisins and a few coriander leaves. You possibly can serve Nei Choru with a coconut based mostly veg gravy like veg korma or any dal.
- No kaima rice? No worries, go for basmati rice for this recipe.
- I might recommend to not miss on the fried onions because it imparts a touch of sweetness in addition to earthiness to this in any other case delicately spiced ghee rice variant.
- Working in need of time? Prepare dinner the dish fully in a strain cooker. If doing so, add 2.5 cups water and strain cook dinner for two to three whistles.
- Make a vegan variation by utilizing oil as an alternative of ghee. When utilizing oil, add 3 tablespoons of it.
Please be sure you fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Nei Choru | Neychoru Recipe (Kerala Fashion)
The Nei Choru or Neychoru from ‘God’s personal nation’ Kerala is simply one other variation of a delish ghee rice. This delicacy is a Malabar particular and made with rice, ghee, spices and dry fruits. This recipe makes use of a particular number of rice known as ‘kaima rice’ or ‘jeerakasala rice.’
Prep Time 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Complete Time 40 minutes
- Rinse kaima rice (seeraga sambar rice) or basmati rice in water a few occasions. Then soak rice grains in sufficient water for 20 to half-hour. Later drain the water and maintain the soaked rice apart.
Warmth ghee in a pan. Maintain the warmth to low or medium.
Add ½ cup thinly sliced onions.
Combine and start to sauté the onions on a low to medium warmth until they flip crisp and golden.
Take away the entire fried onions with a slotted spoon and maintain apart.
In the identical pan, add 12 to fifteen cashews and fry until golden.
Take away with a slotted spoon and maintain apart.
Subsequent add 1 tablespoon raisins. When the raisins puff up, take away and maintain apart.
Making nei choru
To the identical pan, add the entire spices – tej patta, cinnamon, cloves, inexperienced cardamoms. Fry on low warmth until the spices splutter and crackle.
Subsequent add ½ cup of thinly sliced onions and sauté until they flip translucent.
Then add the rice.
Season with salt as per style. Gently combine the rice with the remaining components.
Add 3 cups water. Combine nicely. Test the style of the water and it ought to style barely salty. If not, then add some salt.
Cowl the pan with its lid. On a low warmth simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice grains are tender, fluffy and cooked nicely.
As soon as completed, gently fluff the rice.
Serve Neychoru garnished with the fried onions, cashews and raisins. Additionally garnish with some chopped coriander leaves. You may as well serve Nei Choru with a coconut based mostly vegetable curry or any dal.
- As a substitute of kaima rice, you should utilize basmati rice.
- The complete recipe may be made in a strain cooker. If cooking in a strain cooker, then add 2.5 cups water and strain cook dinner for two to three whistles.
- For a vegan model, use oil as an alternative of ghee. Simply add 3 tablespoons oil.
- For bigger servings, scale up the recipe simply.
Nei Choru | Neychoru Recipe (Kerala Fashion)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 423 Energy from Fats 135
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 8g50%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Ldl cholesterol 33mg11%
Vitamin A 8IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 3mg4%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 14µg4%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Neychoru recipe from the archives first printed in January 2017 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source