Norwegian apple cake is a traditional apple cake made with easy components! Loaded with tart and candy apples, and cinnamon sugar, the buttery cake is ideal with a cup of espresso within the morning or a scoop of ice cream for dessert!
Love apples? Be sure to check out my MOST favourite Apple Pie Recipe!
This recipe was developed in partnership with my pals at Imperial Sugar.
Norwegian Apple Cake (Eplekake)
This Norwegian Apple cake is an genuine, easy cake that’s excellent. Classics are classics for a motive! Whereas I’ve by no means been to Norway, I’ve had variations of this cake all through my life. This can be a butter cake is stuffed with cinnamon sugar apples, which is ideal paired with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or plain! You may get pleasure from this apple cake for breakfast with a cup of espresso, as a day snack, and even for dessert!! However I’ll say that whereas I’m keen on having fun with this cake heat, it’s a type of muffins that (for my part) is best the subsequent day!
For the total ingredient record and directions CLICK HERE.
- Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced 1/2- inch thick
- Granulated sugar
- Floor cinnamon
- Salted butter (I like salted particularly on this recipe, as you don’t add any further salt and it provides taste.)
- Granulated sugar
- Massive Eggs
- Baking powder
- All goal flour
What Are the Finest Sorts Of Apples For Baking?
There are such a lot of apples to select from whenever you get to the grocery store! All of them look so stunning, however know that each one apples usually are not nice for baking! I nearly solely use Granny Smith apples once I bake this apple cake. These tart apples maintain their construction whereas they bake, not turning to complete mush, and are candy so their taste actually pops!
Apples To Keep away from In Baking:
Sure apples are simply too gentle, or don’t have sufficient taste to pack a punch in baking. Here’s a record of apples that needs to be loved contemporary or changed into applesauce!
- Crimson Scrumptious
Apples That Are Nice To Bake With:
These apples are agency, candy, and somewhat tart. They maintain their construction in baking and their taste actually comes via with out getting too mushy!
- Granny Smith
- Pink Woman
What Instruments Do You Want?
This recipe is in the end quite simple, however a number of kitchen instruments will make the method further simple!
Easy methods to Make Norwegian Apple Cake?
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9- inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Put aside.
- Place the sliced apples into a big bowl. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and the cinnamon. Stir to coat evenly. Put aside.
- Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the butter and 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar collectively on medium pace till creamy, 2 minutes. Add within the eggs one by one and blend till mixed, scraping the perimeters and backside of the bowl as obligatory. Add within the baking powder and blend to include.
- Flip the mixer to low pace and in alternating additions, add the flour and milk, starting and ending with the flour, till simply mixed. Don’t over combine.
- Assemble: Cowl the underside of the ready pan with apples. They’ll overlap, however you need a single layer. Prime the apples with the cake batter and unfold evenly to cowl all of the apples. Press the remaining apple slices into the batter vertically making concentric circles within the batter.
- Bake for 55 – 65 minutes, or till the cake is golden brown and set and within the middle and a toothpick comes out clear.
- Permit the cake to chill for quarter-hour within the pan. Run a butter knife across the edges after which launch the facet of the pan.
- Slice and serve heat with whipped cream, dusted with powdered sugar, and even ice cream.
You may amp up this recipe in some ways, which is what’s so nice about it. It’s excellent in its simplicity, however you may actually get artistic! Listed here are a number of concepts to begin:
- Add sliced almonds, walnuts, or pecans to the highest of the cake!
- Add a number of teaspoons of vanilla to the batter to boost the flavour.
- Mud the entire cake with powdered sugar for an additional fairly look.
- Drizzle a candy sugar glaze icing the the highest earlier than serving.
- Add berries to the cake. This may be unbelievable with a cup of raspberries thrown into the batter as nicely!
- Use peaches as a substitute of apples!
- Add 1 teaspoon of cardamom to the batter to essentially give it that Norwegian taste.
How To Retailer:
This cake is nice for as much as 3 days if saved hermetic at room temperature. You too can freeze this cake! It freezes fantastically if saved hermetic for as much as 30 days. Permit it to thaw out at room temperature and revel in room temperature or heat it up within the microwave for a number of seconds!