Palak saag recipe with step-by-step photographs. This palak saag recipe is precisely the identical manner I make Sarson ka Saag with recent mustard leaves. I don’t get mustard leaves in Goa, so I’ve made the Saag with recent spinach and white radish. A wholesome and comforting meal when paired with roti or paratha.
About Palak Saag
One Punjabi delicacy mixture we love within the winters is Sarson da saag (Mustard greens) and Makki ki Roti (maize flour/cornmeal flat bread).
While our keep in Delhi within the winters, we used to make each Sarson ka Saag and Makki ki Roti virtually as soon as every week at residence. And it could be superior, with white butter on high of each the roti and the saag.
The recipe is just not troublesome and all you want are tender spinach, radish and the standard pantry staples – onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and inexperienced chilli peppers.
The phrase “saag” means greens in Hindi. It could possibly discuss with a dish made with numerous greens or the inexperienced leafy vegetable itself. I additionally make a variant with recent chickpea leaves and it’s known as Chane ka Saag
You can also make this spinach saag with any greens of your selection. A mix of spinach and fenugreek leaves (Methi) can be good.
If you may get mustard leaves, then make the identical recipe with mustard leaves, spinach and bathua leaves (also called chenopodium/goosefoot/fats hen in english).
I’ve additionally made the saag in microwave as we ran out of cooking gasoline. Within the step-by-step put up I’ve talked about the microwave methodology in addition to the stovetop cooking. Within the notes part under I’ve additionally listed the stovetop cooking methodology for palak saag.
Additionally bear in mind to make use of recent and tender spinach. You don’t need the saag to be fibrous. If you don’t eat onions and garlic, you’ll be able to skip the garlic and onions fully. For the tempering, fry some ginger with the ghee after which add the ready saag to it.
We often make saag at residence after which hold it for 3 to 4 days within the fridge. Earlier than serving, we mood the saag after which serve it with the roti. In reality the saag all the time tastes higher the following day.
The right way to make Palak Saag
Cook dinner Spinach, Radish and Extra Substances
1. First rinse 2 bunches of spinach leaves in water utilizing a colander or strainer. Drain all of the water very effectively. Then roughly chop the spinach leaves and put aside.
If the spinach stems are tender, then solely add them.
2. Do the identical with 2 to three radish with the leaves and stems. Use recent and tender radish greens. Additionally peel the radish roots, chop them and add to the spinach.
Should you do not need radish greens, however solely radish, then use the radish roots solely.
3. Now add the next substances:
- ¾ to 1 cup chopped onions
- 1.5 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped inexperienced chillies
- ½ cup water
4. And microwave for 7 to eight minutes on full energy. After this add 1 tablespoon of maize flour or cornmeal, 1 teaspoon pink chilli powder, 2 to three tablespoons butter and salt as wanted.
Notice that these substances may also be added afterward to the pureed combination. Combine effectively.
Additionally if you’re out of maize flour (makki ka atta) or cornmeal, then omit including it.
To prepare dinner on a stovetop, add all these substances in a pan with 1 cup water. Cowl and simmer on low to medium-low warmth till the veggies are softened.
The spinach leaves and radish must also soften. If the combination appears dry whereas cooking, add some extra water.
5. Once more microwave for five minutes extra.
6. I felt the necessity to microwave extra, so once more I microwaved the greens on medium energy for five minutes.
7. And but nonetheless I felt I’ve to microwave extra. You will notice how a lot liquids the greens and different veggies have launched.
Make Palak Saag
8. Let the entire combination be cooled, after which mix every part in a mixer or blender both coarsely or easily, with out including any water. You might mix utilizing an immersion blender additionally.
Look ahead to the warmth to cut back after which mix the cooked saag substances.
9. Now microwave once more for 4 to five minutes. See the distinction under. The saag has thickened.
If utilizing a stovetop, add the blended puree to the identical pan and simmer till the saag has thickened. Put aside.
Saag has a medium-thick to thick consistency and isn’t skinny like a curry. When you get the specified consistency, change off the warmth and set the spinach saag apart.
10. For the tempering soften 1 to 2 tablespoons of ghee in a microwave protected bowl on full energy for 1 minute. Add the ⅓ cup finely chopped onions.
For cooking on stovetop, sauté ⅓ cup finely chopped onions in ghee till mild golden. Then add the ready saag. Combine and simmer for a couple of minutes.
11. Microwave for 7 to eight minutes until the onions flip a lightweight brown
12. Add the two to three cups of saag (use a measuring cup) that can make up for two to three servings. Microwave for two or 3 minutes extra.
High up the serving bowls of Spinach Saag with some home made White Butter. Serve Palak Saag with any Indian flat bread of your selection with a facet of some sliced onions and inexperienced chilies.
Please remember to price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under if in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Palak Saag | Spinach Saag
That is an genuine, tasty and straightforward recipe of Punjabi type Palak Saag that may be made in microwave oven and likewise on the stovetop. Serve Spinach Saag with any Indian flat bread of your selection for a comforting and hearty meal.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook dinner Time 35 minutes
Whole Time 50 minutes
For the saag
For tempering the saag for two to three servings
Getting ready the Saag
Mix all of the greens, onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, chillies with water in a microwave protected bowl and microwave for 7 to eight minutes on excessive energy.
Add the butter, maize flour, salt and chilli powder.
Microwave once more on medium energy for 12 to fifteen minutes. Put aside to chill.
When cooled, mix the entire combination coarsely or easily, relying on what you favor.
Microwave the pureed combination for 4 to five minutes on medium energy.
Getting ready the Tempering for two to three servings
In one other microwave protected bowl, take some ghee and microwave on full energy for 1 minute or till the ghee is flippantly scorching.
Add the onions and microwave for 7 to eight minutes until they get mild browned.
Add the two to three cups of saag (use a measuring cup) to the flippantly browned onions and microwave for additional for two to three minutes.
High the Palak Saag with home made butter and serve with any flat bread of your selection.
Maintain the remaining saag within the fridge for two to three days. You can too freeze the spinach saag for a few week.
For cooking palak saag on stovetop, observe this methodology
- Add all of the greens, onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, inexperienced chilies with salt and water in a deep pan or a stress cooker. Additionally add maize flour and butter. Add round 1 cup water to the veggies.
- Cook dinner the whole thing within the pan for 7 to 10 minutes or in a stress cooker for 3 to 4 minutes.
- As soon as cooled mix right into a easy or coarse paste. Add the saag in one other pan and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes until it thickens just a little bit.
For the tempering
- Evenly brown the onions in ghee after which add the saag to it.
- Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- For a saag serving 2 to three folks, 1 medium sized onion is sufficient with 2 tablespoons ghee for the tempering. The remaining saag you’ll be able to refrigerate and use as when required.
Palak Saag | Spinach Saag
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 157 Energy from Fats 90
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 6g38%
Trans Fats 0.2g
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 3g
Ldl cholesterol 25mg8%
Vitamin A 16576IU332%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.4mg24%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 0.4mg20%
Vitamin B12 0.01µg0%
Vitamin C 57mg69%
Vitamin D 0.1µg1%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Ok 825µg786%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 345µg86%
* % Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Palak Saag recipe from the weblog archives first printed in January 2012 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.Source