This Paneer Gassi Recipe is the vegetarian model of the well-known Mangalorean dish kori gassi, which is principally a rooster curry. Identical to the unique dish, the gravy of this Paneer Gassi additionally has daring and complicated flavors. Sufficient to bowl you over! A typical Mangalore type gassi additionally has loads of spices and a superb dose of coconut in it. These make the curry scrumptious and fragrant. The identical is the case with this paneer gassi. One other USP of this vegetarian model is that it’s gluten free too.
About Paneer Gassi
Paneer Gassi when translated in English, merely means an Indian cottage cheese (paneer) and curry (gassi). Historically, the recipe of gassi belongs to the Mangalorean bunt group. They’re from the coastal districts of Karnataka and put together this distinctive curry of their signature type.
This Paneer Gassi Recipe is a vegetarian variation that I’ve created at my house, by following my aunt’s recipe. She makes glorious bunt type meals at house.
For the reason that day I had tasted her dishes, I needed to recreate this specific curry in my house too. Since I did attempt it out efficiently, I’m sharing it right here on my weblog.
I have to say that the Paneer Gassi is as delectable as its non-vegetarian counterpart. Actually, extra solely. I often make this paneer dish on particular events. Together with this, I additionally make the chana gassi generally with white chickpeas.
This dish is barely candy because of the jaggery and coconut utilized in it. However it’s superbly balanced by the opposite spices used within the curry.
Additionally, if the lengthy record of elements is daunting you, then simply cease stressing out. Its simply that the record is lengthy, however the process to make the Paneer Gassi Recipe is sort of a hassle-free and simple one. It takes a little bit of time, however the recipe just isn’t tough.
Extra on Paneer Gassi
As I mentioned, I’ve added a few teaspoon of jaggery within the floor coconut paste. However it’s utterly optionally available and may be skipped. Aside from this, the Paneer Gassi is also a bit bitter, which comes from the tamarind used within the spice paste. However once more, it will get balanced nicely by the remainder of the elements.
The Paneer Gassi Recipe is barely spicy. For a spicier curry, improve the variety of purple chilies. Additionally, I’ve used byadagi purple chilies which are often much less pungent and sizzling. You should use Kashmiri purple chilies or Guntur chilies too.
This Paneer Gassi does take a while to get accomplished absolutely as there’s some pre preparation concerned in it. So, the best choice is to put it aside for particular days/celebrations or weekends.
How one can make Paneer Gassi
1. Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy kadai or pan. Maintain the warmth to a low. Add 2 tablespoons coriander seeds and ½ tablespoon cumin seeds.
2. Stir typically and fry each coriander seeds and cumin seeds for 1 to 2 minutes on low warmth.
3. Each coriander seeds and cumin seeds ought to change into aromatic earlier than you proceed to the following step.
4. Then add the next elements:
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon entire black pepper
- 5 to six fenugreek seeds
5. Combine nicely and fry for 1 minute on low warmth. Stir typically.
6. Subsequent, add 5 byadagi dried purple chilies or Kashmiri dried purple chilies and 15 to 16 curry leaves.
7. Combine once more and fry for 1 minute extra. Stir typically.
8. Then, add ¼ cup chopped onions, 2 teaspoons chopped garlic and ½ teaspoon chopped ginger.
9. Combine very nicely and start to sauté the onions.
10. Stirring typically, sauté the onions until they change into translucent.
11. Then, swap off the warmth. Add ½ teaspoon tamarind and ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
12. Combine nicely and let this combination cool.
Making spice paste
13. Then, add in a grinder jar. Additionally, add ½ to ⅔ cup water.
14. Grind or mix to a fantastic and easy consistency.
15. Take away the spice paste in a bowl. Maintain apart.
Making coconut paste
16. In the identical grinder jar, add 1 cup tightly packed contemporary grated coconut and 1 cup water.
17. Grind or mix to a easy paste. Maintain apart.
Making Paneer Gassi
18. Warmth 3 tablespoons of oil in a heavy kadai or pan. Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds.
19. Let the mustard seeds crackle on low warmth.
20. Then, add ½ cup of chopped onions and 10 to 12 curry leaves (entire or chopped).
21. Combine after which start to sauté onions on low to medium warmth.
22. Sauté stirring typically until the onions flip translucent.
23. Now, add the ready spice paste.
24. Stir and blend very nicely.
25. Stirring typically, sauté the masala until you see some oil releasing from the edges. The masala will even thicken.
26. Now, add 1 teaspoon jaggery powder and the ready coconut paste. Jaggery is optionally available and may be skipped.
Jaggery can’t be seen within the beneath image as I added it first and combined it with the masala.
27. Stir and blend very nicely.
28. Simmer the gravy for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir at intervals.
29. Then, add ½ cup water or add as required.
30. Season with salt as per style.
31. Combine very nicely and simmer the gravy for 4 to five minutes.
32. Then, add 200 grams of cubed paneer. Finest to make use of smooth and contemporary paneer.
33. Combine gently and simmer for just a few seconds.
34. Swap off the warmth and add 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves. Combine gently.
35. Serve Paneer Gassi sizzling or heat with kori rotti, neer dosa, chapattis, parathas or steamed rice or malabar parotta.
Please make sure you charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath when you’ve got made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Paneer Gassi Recipe
This Mangalorean paneer gassi is scrumptious curry from the Mangalorean bunt delicacies. The gravy has complicated and daring flavors. A number of spices and coconut is used to make this fragrant curry.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 45 minutes
for spice paste
for coconut paste
different elements for paneer gassi
Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy kadai or pan. Maintain the flame to a low.
Add 2 tablespoons coriander seeds and ½ tablespoon cumin seeds.
Stir typically and fry each coriander seeds and cumin seeds for 1 to 2 minutes on a low flame.
Each coriander seeds and cumin seeds ought to change into fragrant earlier than you proceed to the following step.
Then add 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds, ¼ teaspoon entire black pepper and 5 to six methi seeds.
Combine nicely and fry for 1 minute on a low flame. Stir typically.
Subsequent add 5 byadagi purple chilies or kashmiri purple chilies and 15 to 16 curry leaves.
Combine once more after which fry for 1 minute extra. Stir typically.
Then add ¼ cup chopped onion, 2 teaspoons chopped garlic and ½ teaspoon chopped ginger.
Combine very nicely and stirring typically saute the onions until they change into translucent.
Then swap off the flame and add ½ teaspoon tamarind and ¼ teaspoon turmeric (haldi).
Combine nicely and let this combination cool.
making spice paste
making coconut paste
In the identical grinder jar, add 1 cup tightly packed contemporary grated coconut.
Add 1 cup water.
Grind to a easy paste. Maintain apart.
making paneer gassi
Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a heavy kadai or pan.
Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
Then add ½ cup chopped onion and 10 to 12 curry leaves (entire or chopped).
Combine after which start to saute onions on a low to medium flame until they flip translucent.
Now add the spice paste. combine very nicely.
Stirring typically saute the masala until you see some oil releasing from the edges. The masala will even thicken.
Now add the coconut paste and 1 teaspoon jaggery. combine very nicely.
Simmer the gravy for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir at intervals.
Then add ½ cup water or add as required. Season with salt as per style.
Combine very nicely and simmer the curry for 4 to five minutes.
Add 200 grams cubed paneer. Combine and simmer the gravy for few seconds.
Swap off the warmth after which add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. Combine.
Serve paneer gassi sizzling or heat with kori rotti, neer dosa, chapatis, plain paratha or malabar paratha or lachha paratha or steamed rice.
- Use contemporary smooth paneer as it’s the star ingredient.
- The addition of jaggery is optionally available. However I like to recommend including jaggery as it can steadiness the flavors.
Paneer Gassi Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 393 Energy from Fats 306
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 14g88%
Ldl cholesterol 33mg11%
Vitamin A 785IU16%
Vitamin C 208mg252%
* P.c Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Paneer Gassi Recipe Put up from the weblog archives, first revealed in October 2017 has been republished and up to date on December 2022.Source