Spicy, zesty, and downright addictive, my recipe for Peri-Peri Sauce from scratch signifies that a plateful of taste is rarely removed from attain. Produced from dry purple chili peppers, this pleasant, home made Portuguese condiment is a favourite at our home.
What’s Peri Peri?
Peri-Peri (additionally spelled Piri-Piri) is each the title of a brilliant purple Portuguese sauce, in addition to the eponymous African Fowl’s Eye chili pepper that the condiment is called after.
Legend has it that the Piri-Piri chilies arrived in Portugal by way of the Portuguese who cultivated them within the colonized South African territories. The Piri-Piri chilies discovered their manner right into a sauce developed by the Portuguese which has now turn out to be a staple in Portugal.
I truthfully have no idea the actual story… Who developed the sauce and the place did the chilis come from? I’m undecided. All I do know is that the sauce is REALLY AWESOME and REALLY SPICY.
Peri-Peri chiles are fairly spicy, with a typical vary of between 50,000-125,000 Scoville Warmth Items (SHUs). For reference, jalapeño peppers are about 3,500 SHUs. Like I mentioned, these little chiles are fiery, and the sauce they’re utilized in shares the identical spicy traits.
About Peri Peri Sauce Recipe
If sizzling and spicy are two adjectives you want on your meals, you will love this scrumptious peri-peri sauce! As an added bonus, the recipe takes simply 10 minutes to make, begin to end. You merely can’t beat that!
My sister really launched me to peri-peri sauce (11 years again) and I couldn’t resist arising with this recipe. When she informed me the title peri-peri, I had one thing of a deja vu.
Because it seems, the South African chain restaurant referred to as Nando’s really had a number of branches in Bangalore then. Thriller solved!
The peri-peri sauce is tremendous scrumptious, so we’ve it with every thing from greens and rice to salads and bread. It brings zest and spice to any dish it touches, which is a part of why we adore it so.
Sometimes talking, piri-piri sauce will also be used to marinate meats or seafood; as vegetarians, we choose to make use of it as a marinade for paneer or tofu, or as extra of a dipping sauce with different ready meals.
Substances, Substitutions, & Variations
Being a world citizen, I’m conscious that preferences and ingredient availability will range by location. As such, I wish to just be sure you know which substitutions you should utilize to customise this peri-peri sauce recipe to your liking. Listed here are a number of concepts:
- Use the purple chillies which might be accessible to you. However keep in mind their taste profile – whether or not smoky, spicy, pungent or sizzling. I’ve made the sauce with quite a lot of Indian purple chili referred to as Kashmiri purple chillies. These chillies have a deep purple colour and aren’t spicy. However when mixed in a sauce, they had been sizzling sufficient for all of us. The remainder of the substances are at all times simply accessible within the kitchen pantry.
- A mix of various purple chilies will also be used relying on their hotness. For dry chilies, make sure to soak them in cool water for two to three hours or 15 to twenty minutes in sizzling water earlier than mixing them.
- As a substitute of lemon juice, one may use vinegar/cider vinegar or a 50/50 break up of lemon juice and vinegar. I didn’t add vinegar to the sauce. I solely used lemon juice.
- If you need a skinny sauce, the quantity of olive oil could be elevated.
- Additionally, please observe that the extra the sauce ages, the higher it turns into. This makes it a wonderful candidate on your meal prep day.
make Peri Peri Sauce
1. Take 11 to 12 dry purple Kashmiri chilies, or any contemporary or dried purple chili selection. Take away the stems and seeds.
To take away the seeds, break the chillies or halve them or you possibly can slit them on one aspect. Shake them and the seeds will fall. It’s also possible to decide to take away the seeds utilizing a small spoon.
You should utilize any number of dry purple chilies with low to medium SHUs. If utilizing tremendous sizzling fowl’s eye chilis, then you possibly can add 4 to five of them together with the milder dry purple chilies.
2. Rinse the dry purple chilies in water. Soak them in sizzling water for 10 to fifteen minutes earlier than mixing them. In case you are utilizing contemporary purple chilies then skip this step.
3. Peel and chop 7 to eight medium-sized garlic cloves. Measure and maintain all of the substances prepared for making the peri-peri sauce.
4. In a blender or meals processor, add ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (a.okay.a. cilantro leaves, or sub in parsley leaves) and the soaked dry purple Kashmiri chilies.
5. Subsequent add 7 to eight chopped garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon purple chili flakes (non-obligatory) and salt as required.
You possibly can use ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or purple chilli powder as an alternative of purple chilli flakes.
6. Pour ¼ cup olive oil or vegetable oil. The quantity of olive oil could be elevated if you need a skinny sauce with an extended shelf life.
7. Lastly add the juice of 1 medium-sized lemon (or roughly 1 tablespoon lemon juice). You should utilize ½ tablespoon vinegar as an alternative of lemon juice when you choose.
8. Grind in a blender or meals processor and mix to a advantageous and easy consistency.
9. Cowl and retailer the Peri Peri sauce in a container within the fridge for as much as 2 weeks.
This scrumptious sauce is a must-try for individuals who like sizzling and spicy meals. Listed here are a number of methods to make use of it:
- As a dipping sauce with any snacks like French Fries, Potato Wedges, or Veg Cutlet or vegetable crudités.
- As marination for tofu, paneer (Indian cottage cheese), veggies like cauliflower, potatoes, mushrooms, capsicum, aubergines after which grilled, roasted, sautéed or fried.
- Added to easy dishes like Fried Rice or Veg Noodles. 1 or 2 teaspoons of the peri-peri sauce will make the rice spicy and flavorful.
- As a topping on Pizza, Pita Bread sandwiches, wraps or rolls.
Sure, they’re. The spellings derive from completely different pronunciations of the chili pepper and sauce, from quite a lot of completely different African languages. Pili-pili is one more spelling for this spicy chilli.
I used brilliant purple Kashmiri chilis in my piri-piri sauce; these peppers are identified for his or her saturated purple hue. Relying on what sort of chilis you employ, and even when you use contemporary as an alternative of dried, the colour of your sauce my range.
Deal with it like Pesto and add a layer of oil on high of the sauce to assist shield it from the air. It ought to final for as much as two weeks within the fridge. It’s also possible to freeze it for as much as 6 months if wanted.
Please make sure to fee the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Peri Peri Sauce Recipe | Home made Piri Piri Sauce
This home made Peri Peri sauce is a spicy, sizzling and fiery condiment made with dried purple chilies, herbs, spices and olive oil. Zesty, and downright addictive this pleasant Portuguese condiment is a favourite at our home.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 0 minutes
Whole Time 20 minutes
Take away the stems from the dry purple chilies.
Slit the chillies and shake them to take away the seeds.
Rinse them in water after which soak in sizzling water for 15 to twenty minutes.
Peel and chop the garlic roughly.
Add all of the substances in a blender or meals processor and mix or course of to a easy and advantageous consistency.
Retailer the Peri Peri sauce in an hermetic container within the fridge.
- Use dried purple chillies which might be accessible to you. However contemplate their pungency, spiciness, smokiness and hotness earlier than utilizing them. You possibly can use a mix of two to 3 chilli variants.
- The peri peri sauce will also be made with contemporary purple chillies. With contemporary chillies, the sauce could have a much less shelf life. Do refrigerate and end the sauce in 2 to three days.
- Word that the approximate vitamin information is for the complete portion of piri piri sauce produced from this recipe.
Peri Peri Sauce Recipe | Home made Piri Piri Sauce
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 536 Energy from Fats 495
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 8g50%
Polyunsaturated Fats 6g
Monounsaturated Fats 40g
Vitamin A 2323IU46%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.04mg3%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 0.4mg20%
Vitamin C 15mg18%
Vitamin E 9mg60%
Vitamin Okay 53µg50%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 9µg2%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Peri Peri Sauce recipe from the archives first printed in September 2011 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source