Candy, tangy, spiced, and pungent, this Kerala model Pineapple Pachadi is the proper addition to the vegetarian feast referred to as Onam Sadya. Made with contemporary pineapple cubes, yogurt, coconut, herbs, spices in about 20 minutes, this fruity raita-like condiment is as easy to make as it’s tasty.
About Pineapple Pachadi
Pineapple Pachadi is a deliciously sweet-sour Kerala dish made with pineapple, coconut, mustard seeds, and curd. Whereas they might look considerably related, the flavour of pineapple pachadi could be very totally different from common Pineapple Raita.
Each kichadi and pachadi aspect dishes are made for the Onam Sadya feast. Varied vegatables and fruits are used to make kichadi or pachadi.
The flavour of pineapple pachadi is complicated. Whereas pineapple does lend its sweetish aroma and taste, there’s additionally some pungency from the bottom mustard seeds, and a bit of warmth and spiciness coming from the inexperienced chilies.
Let’s not overlook the refined sweetness of coconut and the tanginess of curd that are additionally highlights of this pachadi recipe. The tempering of mustard and dry purple chillies in coconut oil provides one more dimension to the style.
Making pineapple pachadi is straightforward, just like the Cucumber Pachadi. In whole, you solely want 12 elements and 20 minutes of time within the kitchen.
As soon as made, Pineapple Pachadi could be served as a aspect dish in an Onam sadya or with any vegetarian Kerala meal.
It’s finest to make use of contemporary pineapple, however you too can use canned. The canned pineapple cubes will prepare dinner sooner than the contemporary pineapple cubes.
Additionally, you will want some common Indian spices and herbs. These spices and herbs add depths of flavors.
Contemporary curd or yogurt can be added which imparts some creaminess to the dish. Don’t forget to make use of edible coconut oil because it makes this dish actually genuine.
make Pineapple Pachadi
Make Coconut Paste
1. In a small grinder jar or blender, take the elements listed under:
- ¼ cup grated contemporary coconut
- 1 inexperienced chili (chopped) or 1 teaspoon, chopped
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
For a extra pronounced mustard taste, you’ll be able to add as much as 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds.
2. Add 2 to three tablespoons water and grind to a high-quality and clean consistency. Hold the coconut paste apart.
Prepare dinner Pineapple
3. Take 1.25 cups of chopped pineapple cubes in a pan. Cube the pineapple in small items or cubes, however not finely — you need some texture within the pachadi.
4. Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 to 2 teaspoons jaggery, or add as per style.
Jaggery could be skipped if the pineapple could be very candy. As an alternative of jaggery, you too can add sugar.
5. Add ⅓ to ½ cup water. Simply add sufficient water to *nearly* cowl the pineapple cubes.
If the pineapple cubes are very candy and comfortable, then much less water will probably be required. If they’re agency and solely just a little candy, then extra water will probably be wanted.
6. Combine properly to mix.
7. Hold the pan on the stovetop and on a low-medium warmth prepare dinner the pineapple. Stir at intervals.
8. Simmer until the pineapple cubes have softened. Additionally, let many of the water evaporate from the pan. Bear in mind to not overcook the pineapple cubes. They only want to melt.
Make Pineapple Pachadi
9. Add the bottom coconut paste to the pan with the softened pineapple.
10. Season with salt as per style.
11. Combine very properly.
12. Simmer and prepare dinner this pineapple combination for two to three minutes on a low warmth. Take care to not boil or prepare dinner for a very long time as this will break up the curd.
12. Let this combination cool at room temperature.
13. Beat ½ cup curd (yogurt) with a spoon or wired whisk until clean. You may as well add some extra curd for those who desire.
Make sure that the curd is contemporary and never overly bitter or tangy.
14. As soon as the pineapple and coconut combination has cooled down sufficient to turn out to be lukewarm, then add the crushed curd.
15. Combine very properly.
Mood Pineapple Pachadi
16. Warmth ½ tablespoon coconut oil in a tadka pan or a small frying pan. Hold warmth to a low and add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds.
17. Let the mustard seeds crackle.
18. Then add 1 dry purple chili (seeds eliminated) and seven to eight curry leaves.
19. Fry for a number of seconds until the curry leaves turn out to be crisp and the purple chili adjustments colour. Don’t burn them.
20. Pour the tempering within the pachadi combination.
21. Combine very properly.
22. Serve Pineapple Pachadi as a aspect dish for Onam sadya or any vegetarian Kerala meal. You may as well refrigerate after which serve. Leftover pineapple pachadi could be refrigerated for about 1 day.
- Use candy, ripe pineapple. If it’s bitter or tangy, it gained’t be good on this pachadi recipe. You may as well use canned pineapple. If utilizing canned pineapple, drain all of the liquid, rinse the pineapple after which chop them in small cubes.
- Spices and herbs. Be certain that to incorporate all of the spices and herbs as talked about within the recipe. Eradicating any of them will deliver a few change within the style.
- Fat: For an genuine dish, coconut oil is a should. Having mentioned that for those who can’t supply coconut oil, make the recipe in any impartial flavored oil.
- No contemporary coconut? No drawback. Desiccated coconut can be utilized as a substitute of contemporary coconut, however the style will change barely. Frozen coconut additionally works properly. Be certain that the frozen coconut has a candy, not bitter, style and that it hasn’t gone rancid.
- To make a vegan choice. Be at liberty to make use of your favourite plain, unsweetened plant-based yogurt (e.g. coconut, cashew, or almond yogurt).
- Scaling. Simply scale the recipe up or down as wanted. You would additionally add some extra curd for those who desire to the pachadi recipe.
Please you should definitely price the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Pineapple Pachadi is a deliciously candy, bitter and spiced dish made with contemporary pineapple cubes, coconut, curd (yogurt) and loads of spices and herbs. It is without doubt one of the aspect dish served within the Onam Sadya which is a vegetarian feast.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 10 minutes
Whole Time 20 minutes
For cooking pineapple
For floor coconut and mustard paste
Making coconut paste
In a small grinder jar take grated contemporary coconut, chopped inexperienced chilies, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
Add 2 to three tablespoons water and grind to clean and high-quality consistency. Hold the coconut paste apart.
Take chopped pineapple cubes in a pan. Bear in mind to chop the pineapple in small items, however not finely.
- Add turmeric powder and 1 to 2 teaspoons jaggery or add as per style. Jaggery could be skipped if the pineapple could be very candy. As an alternative of jaggery you too can add sugar.
Add ½ cup water and combine properly.
Hold the pan on stovetop and on a medium-low warmth prepare dinner the pineapple. Do stir at intervals.
Simmer until the pineapple cubes have softened. Additionally let many of the water evaporate from the pan.
Making pineapple pachadi
Now add the bottom coconut paste.
Season with salt as per style and combine very properly.
Simmer and prepare dinner this pineapple combination for two to three minutes on a low warmth stirring usually. Take care to not boil or prepare dinner for a very long time as this will break up the curd.
Then preserve the pan down and let this combination cool at room temperature.
Beat ½ cup curd with a spoon or wired whisk until clean.
As soon as the pineapple+coconut combination has cooled or turn out to be lukewarm, then add the crushed curd. Combine very properly.
Warmth coconut oil in a tadka pan or a small frying pan. Hold warmth to a low and add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds.
Let the mustard seeds crackle.
Then add the dry purple chilli and seven to eight curry leaves.
Fry for a number of seconds until the curry leaves turn out to be crisp and the purple chili adjustments colour. Don’t burn the spices.
Pour the tempering within the pachadi combination. Combine very properly.
- Serve Pineapple Pachadi as a aspect dish in an Onam sadya or a Kerala vegetarian meal. You may as well refrigerate Pineapple Pachadi for a number of hours after which serve. Left over pineapple pachadi could be refrigerated for a few day.
- Make sure that pineapple has a candy style and should not bitter or tangy.
- Desiccated coconut can be utilized as a substitute of contemporary coconut, however style will change barely. Frozen coconut additionally works properly. Be certain that the frozen coconut has a candy style and never bitter or gone rancid.
- The recipe can be made with plant based mostly yogurt like coconut yogurt, almond yogurt and cashew yogurt.
- Attempt to use coconut oil if doable.
- You’ll be able to simply scale the recipe.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 91 Energy from Fats 54
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 5g31%
Ldl cholesterol 5mg2%
Vitamin A 271IU5%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 27mg135%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 70mg85%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 282µg71%
* P.c Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Pineapple Pachadi recipe from the archives first printed in Could 2018 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source