Pulao or pulav or pilaf, is consolation meals at its finest and I make it after I wish to prepare dinner one thing fast, simple and satisfying. This one-pot dish made with aromatic rice and colourful wholesome greens has added spices and herbs, giving it a light aromatic taste. This particular veg pulao recipe is my mother’s and is my go-to recipe when making vegetable pulao. The dish can be vegetarian and is nice by itself or paired with raita (an Indian yogurt dish), pickle and roasted papad (a crisp skinny Indian snack).
Referred to as by varied names equivalent to pilaf or pulav, veg pulao is among the most typical vegetarian rice dishes in India, the opposite being Veg Biryani.
A pulao is a one pot dish of rice and greens or a protein cooked along with aromatics (onions, garlic, ginger and many others), spices and herbs. There are various variations of creating a pulav.
I’ve shared many various vegetarian pulao recipes on the weblog together with Peas Pulao, Kashmiri Pulao, Tawa Pulao, Paneer Pulao and extra. Nevertheless the recipe I share right here is my favourite and the way I virtually all the time find yourself making it.
What I like about making veg pulao is that it comes collectively rapidly. Use a meals processor for chopping the veggies and it’ll actually come collectively quick.
About This Veg Pulao
My recipe makes use of entire spices, fairly than including any pulao or biryani masala. Thus the perfume of the spices is distinctly felt within the dish.
I often like the feel of the rice to be just a little gentle in pulao, fairly than being al dente, which is the way in which it’s sometimes served in eating places. So if you’re like me, you’ll love this recipe. Learn on under for recommendations on making the right rice in your pulao.
I often add greens like carrots, inexperienced peas, french beans and cauliflower. However a pulao may be made with varied different greens. Broccoli, beets, capsicum, spinach, cabbage, child corn are some veggies that you may think about.
Normally pulao is made with the best aromatic basmati rice. I principally use aged basmati rice to make vegetable pulao. Different aromatic styles of rice that are non-sticky additionally work nicely.
Pulao may be made in a pan on the stovetop, a stress cooker or the On the spot Pot. I just like the rice grains to be fluffy and separate. So I prepare dinner the pulao in a pan on the stovetop.
If wanting time you’ll be able to think about making veg pulao in a stovetop stress cooker or the On the spot pot.
Do learn on under within the ideas part my useful solutions on making the right pulao for any event.
How you can make Veg Pulao
1. Start by rinsing 1.5 cups basmati rice in water till it runs away from starch. Subsequent, soak the rice in sufficient water for 20 to half-hour.
2. After 20 to half-hour pressure the rice of all of the water and preserve apart.
3. Whereas the rice is soaking, prep the veggies. Rinse and chop them. Be certain that to cut the greens in small cubes.
For cauliflower, chop them in medium-sized florets. Peel, rinse and slice 1 giant onion thinly. You have to about 1.5 to 2 cups of chopped greens excluding the inexperienced peas, tomatoes and onions.
4. Hold all the entire spices apart. From the under checklist of spices, you’ll be able to skip black peppercorns, black cardamom, star anise and mace.
5. Add roughly chopped ginger (1 to 1.5 inches), garlic (4 to five small to medium garlic cloves, peeled) and 1 to 2 inexperienced chilies (inexperienced peppers) in a mortar-pestle.
6. Crush to a paste. You may also use a small grinder for crushing these. Add a little bit of water if required whereas grinding in a small grinder or mixer.
Make Vegetable Pulao
7. Warmth 3 tablespoons ghee or oil in a deep thick bottomed pot or pan.
8. As soon as the ghee has melted and turn into scorching, add all entire spices listed under.
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 5 to six black peppercorns – optionally available
- 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf)
- 4 cloves
- 3 to 4 inexperienced cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom – optionally available
- 1 small piece of mace – optionally available
- 1 small star anise – optionally available
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 small piece of stone flower (dagad phool or patthar ke phool) – optionally available
Fry for just a few seconds till they turn into aromatic. The spices will even splutter whereas frying. The ghee mustn’t smoke or turn into too scorching.
9. Add 1 cup of thinly sliced onions.
10. Combine the onions with the ghee and start to sauté them.
11. Sauté the onions on a low to medium-low warmth. First, the onions will turn into gentle golden. Stirring usually proceed to sauté.
12. Sauté onions till golden.
13. As soon as the onions turn into golden, add the crushed ginger + garlic + inexperienced chili (chili pepper) paste.
14. Stir and sauté for some seconds till the uncooked aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away.
15. Add ½ cup chopped tomatoes.
16. Combine and sauté for two to three minutes on a low warmth.
17. Now add all of the chopped veggies. You may add about 1.5 to 2 cups of combined chopped greens. Additionally add ⅓ cup of inexperienced peas (recent or frozen).
18. Add 2 to three tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves (cilantro). At this step, you too can add 2 tablespoons of chopped mint leaves.
19. Combine and sauté once more for two to three minutes on a low warmth.
20. Add the soaked rice.
21. Combine rice gently with the remainder of the elements.
22. Sauté rice gently for 1 to 2 minutes on a low to medium-low warmth, in order that the rice grains get evenly coated with the oil or ghee.
23. Pour 2.5 to three cups water into the pan. I added 3 cups of water. Relying on the standard of rice you may have used, you’ll be able to add much less or extra water. You may decide to exchange water with vegetable inventory.
24. Add ¼ teaspoon lemon juice.
25. Season with salt. Combine very nicely. To determine in case you have added the correct amount of salt, test the style of the water. It’s best to really feel some saltiness within the water.
This implies the quantity of salt added is correct. If the water doesn’t really feel salty, then it’s worthwhile to add some extra salt.
Prepare dinner Pulao
26. Stir and tightly cowl the pot or pan with its lid.
27. Cowl and prepare dinner the rice till all of the water is absorbed. Prepare dinner on a low to medium warmth. Normally, at first, I prepare dinner on a medium-low or medium warmth after which midway by, I decrease the warmth.
Test just a few occasions throughout cooking to make sure there may be sufficient water. Relying on the standard of rice, it’s possible you’ll want so as to add extra water. With a fork, you too can gently stir the rice with out breaking the rice grains.
16. As soon as the rice grains are cooked, fluff them and let the rice stand for five minutes coated with the lid.
17. Serve Veg Pulao garnished with coriander leaves (cilantro), mint leaves or fried onions and fried cashews or fried raisins.
I like to recommend serving vegetable pulao with the next sides:
- Raita (an Indian yogurt dish): Completely different variations I like to recommend embody onion tomato raita, boondi raita or cucumber raita
- Curry or korma: Select any spicy or evenly spiced vegetable curry or korma.
- With pickle and papad: When you should not have time or elements to make korma or raita, then simply serve with some pickle and roasted or fried papad (an Indian flatbread)
- Plain curd (yogurt)
- Some sliced onions and lime or lemon
- A easy Kadhi (a dish of thick chickpea flour gravy with vegetable fritters)
A very powerful factor in a pulao dish is that the rice grains are cooked completely with out sticking or changing into mushy. The rice grains must be separate and non-sticky after being cooked.
Beneath you can find some professional ideas and solutions that can assist you put together the right rice in your pulao.
Sort and high quality of rice
- Basmati rice is often used to make pulao. The basmati rice must be aromatic and long-grained to get good outcomes. Aged basmati rice gives you the very best outcomes.
- You may also use different forms of long-grained rice and short-grained Indian rice varieties like seeraga samba, sona masuri or ambe mohar. These rice varieties can usually be bought on Amazon.
- In some elements of Tamil Nadu and Kerala (Southern Indian states), seeraga samba rice is broadly used to make pulao and biryani.
- Even parboiled basmati rice (sella basmati) can be utilized to make this recipe.
Sticky rice vs. fluffy rice
Now that you’ve got the right rice, comply with these steps to make sure you have fluffy separate rice grains in your pulao:
- Soak the rice – It’s all the time higher to soak your rice for 20 to half-hour earlier than cooking. Soaking rice grains offers them a greater texture when they’re cooked. When you should not have time to soak them, then simply rinse the rice earlier than including it. Notice that if you happen to solely rinse the rice, you have to so as to add some extra water as presoaked rice grains require much less water for cooking as in comparison with rice grains which aren’t soaked.
- Add the correct amount of water – Make certain that you don’t add an excessive amount of water, particularly in case you have presoaked your rice as really useful above.
- Sauté the rice – After including the rice grains to your pan, sauté them for 1 to 2 minutes on a low to medium warmth, in order that they’re coated with fats (oil or ghee). The rice grains must be separate & and but nicely cooked in a pulao or biryani. Including lemon juice additionally helps make the rice grains fluffier.
Rice to water ratio
For many rice varieties, the rice to water ratio is usually 1:2. Nevertheless, this ratio can range relying on the actual kind of rice used or the cooking methodology used:
- Instance 1 – natural basmati rice requires extra water whereas cooking and parboiled basmati rice will want extra water as in comparison with common basmati rice. Because of this, I like to recommend when cooking pulao, to make use of rice which you may have cooked earlier than. This manner you’ll already understand how a lot water so as to add.
- Instance 2 – when cooking pulao in a stovetop stress cooker, usually much less water is added. The steam generated within the cooker helps in cooking the rice grains. Nevertheless, the quantity of water to be added will depend on the dimensions of the cooker. For instance, in bigger cookers, extra water must be added.
There are various variations that may be made in a pulao recipe. From including completely different greens to utilizing a vegetable inventory or spicing with distinctive spices. See the factors talked about under.
Varied forms of greens may be added in a pulao, both alone or in a mixture of two to 3 or extra, relying on what you and your loved ones like and like. Normally, a vegetable pulav is made with veggies like inexperienced peas, cauliflower, french beans, carrots, and potatoes.
Other than these greens, you too can add broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, capsicum (bell peppers), cabbage, beetroot (beets), and tomatoes. The flavors and style of pulao will range with the kind of greens added to it.
Masala and Spice Pastes
There are various pulao varieties made within the Indian delicacies with a mixture of varied masala or spice pastes and elements together with:
- Curd (yogurt)
- Coconut milk: for instance Coconut milk pulao or Brinji rice
- Inexperienced Masala Paste: Inexperienced pulao features a inexperienced masala paste comprised of coriander leaves (cilantro), mint leaves, inexperienced chilies (chili pepper), ginger and garlic. Some recent coconut can be added. Inexperienced pulao is just like chutney pulao.
- Pink Masala Paste: Utilized in making crimson pulao and just like inexperienced masala paste, nonetheless tomatoes are used as one of many main taste and style contributors.
- Pulao-biryani masala: A floor spice mix used as an alternative of entire spices.
- Vegetable Inventory: Some pulav recipes are cooked in vegetable inventory as an alternative of water. Pulao made in a vegetable inventory has a distinct style and coloration.
- Spices and Herbs: You may all the time alter the quantity of spices and herbs as per your style. When you like spicy veg pulao then you’ll be able to add extra inexperienced chilies (chili pepper) and embody some spice powders like garam masala powder or crimson chili powder. You may also scale back the entire spices within the recipe (besides cumin) if you need a much less fragrant and milder veg pulao.
Making Restaurant Model Pulao
A vegetable pulao may be made extra scrumptious and just like a restaurant-style dish by incorporating the next strategies:
- Add some crisp golden fried onions (birista) as a garnish on the vegetable pulao. Fried caramelized onions not solely style good but in addition give a pleasant crunch within the gentle textured pulao.
- Add some fried dry fruits & nuts like cashews, almonds and raisins.
- You may even add some saffron strands whereas cooking pulao. This may impart the beautiful saffron aroma and taste within the pulao. Even rose water or kewra water may be added.
Strategies of cooking pulav
Pulao may be cooked in 5 methods:
- In a pan or pot (as proven on this recipe publish)
- In a Strain Cooker
- Utilizing an On the spot Pot
- In an electrical cooker
- In a microwave oven
You need to use any of the above strategies for cooking pulao, however simply bear in mind so as to add the correct quantity of water. For instance, in an electrical cooker, you have to so as to add extra water and in a stress cooker you have to so as to add much less water.
Please be sure you fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Pulao Recipe | Veg Pulao | Pulav
Attempting to get extra greens in your eating regimen? Do that vegetarian one pot meal of Pulao or Pulav. Use the greens that you just like most, like peas, potatoes, and inexperienced beans. Make this easy Veg Pulao recipe that packs a punch of taste!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Complete Time 40 minutes
For soaking rice
Rinse rice until the water runs away from starch and turn into clear whereas rinsing.
Soak the rice in sufficient water for 20 to half-hour. Drain all of the water and preserve the soaked rice apart.
Rinse, peel and chop the greens.
Crush chopped ginger, garlic and inexperienced chillies to a paste in a mortar-pestle or grind them in a small mixer or grinder with a little bit of water.
Frying spices and sautéing onions
In a deep thick bottomed pot or pan, warmth ghee or oil and fry all the entire spices talked about above, until the oil turns into aromatic and the spices splutter.
Add the onions and saute them until golden. Saute the onions on a low to medium-low warmth and stir usually for even browning.
Add the ginger-garlic-green chili paste and saute for some seconds until their uncooked aroma goes away.
Add the tomatoes and sauté for two to three minutes on a low to medium-low warmth.
Add all of the chopped veggies, inexperienced peas and sauté once more for 1 to 2 minutes on a low to medium-low warmth.
Add rice and sauté gently for 1 to 2 minutes on a low or medium-low warmth, in order that the rice will get nicely coated with the oil.
Add water and lemon juice. Combine and stir.
Season with salt and stir once more.
Making Vegetable Pulao
Cowl tightly and let the rice prepare dinner on a low warmth, until the water is absorbed and the rice is nicely cooked.
- Test in between just a few occasions to test if the water is sufficient. Relying on the standard of rice, it’s possible you’ll want so as to add much less or extra water. With a fork too, you’ll be able to gently stir the rice with out breaking the rice grains.
As soon as the rice grains are cooked, fluff and let the rice stand for five minutes.
Serve pulao scorching with some facet salad, sliced onion and lemon wedges or raita. You may also garnish it with chopped coriander or mint leaves or fried cashews or fried onions.
- Sort and high quality of rice: Pulao is all the time made with Basmati rice. The basmati rice must be aromatic and long-grained to get good outcomes. Aged basmati rice gives you the very best outcomes. Even parboiled basmati rice (sella basmati) can be utilized. You may also use different forms of long-grained rice and short-grained rice. These Indian rice varieties may be simply bought from Amazon.
- For separate rice grains: Comply with these steps to make sure you have separate rice grains in your pulao:
- Soak the rice: It’s all the time higher to soak your rice for 20 to half-hour earlier than cooking. Soaking rice grains offers them a greater texture when they’re cooked. When you should not have time to soak them, then simply rinse the rice earlier than including it. Notice that if you happen to solely rinse the rice, you have to so as to add some extra water as presoaked rice grains require much less water for cooking as in comparison with rice grains which aren’t soaked.
- Add simply sufficient water: Make certain that you don’t add an excessive amount of water, particularly in case you have presoaked your rice as really useful above.
- Sauté the rice: After including the rice grains to your pan, sauté them for 1 to 2 minutes on a low to medium flame, in order that they’re coated with fats (oil or ghee). The rice grains must be separate & and but nicely cooked in a pulao or biryani. Including lemon juice additionally helps make the rice grains fluffier.
- Rice to water ratio: For many rice varieties, the rice to water ratio is usually 1:2. Nevertheless, this ratio can range relying on the actual kind of rice used or the cooking methodology used:
- Instance 1– natural basmati rice requires extra water whereas cooking and parboiled basmati rice will want extra water as in comparison with common basmati rice. Because of this, I like to recommend when cooking pulao, to make use of rice which you may have cooked earlier than. This manner you’ll already understand how a lot water so as to add.
- Instance 2– when cooking pulao in a stress cooker, usually much less water is added. The steam generated within the cooker helps in cooking the rice grains. Nevertheless, the quantity of water to be added will depend on the dimensions of the cooker. For instance, in bigger cookers, extra water must be added.
- Greens: You may add your favourite greens. Notice that the greens add loads of taste to the rice. You may even add mushrooms to a give a meaty texture and umami taste to the pulao. Button Mushrooms, morel mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms may be added.
Pulao Recipe | Veg Pulao | Pulav
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 429 Energy from Fats 99
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 6g38%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 3g
Ldl cholesterol 25mg8%
Vitamin A 1839IU37%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 32mg39%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 11µg10%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 46µg12%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Veg Pulao recipe from the archives first revealed in November 2014 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source