Spinach soup or Palak soup is a splendidly flavorful, comforting, and wholesome dish. It’s made with easy, healthful elements for a extremely nutritious soup. Right here you’ll discover step-by-step directions with pictures (and video) for find out how to make my straightforward one-pot spinach soup that’s gluten-free too.
Extra on Spinach Soup
Spinach (palak) has lengthy been referred to as an extremely wholesome “supergreen” ingredient. Uncooked spinach is a low-calorie meals filled with important vitamins like iron, calcium, and vitamin Ok.
However though spinach is healthful, not everyone seems to be keen on its taste. Nonetheless, if cooked correctly and seasoned properly these nutritious greens actually could make a fan of even the staunchest spinach critics.
This spinach soup, for instance, is a straightforward and scrumptious technique to embody leafy greens in your food regimen. Flavorful aromatics are sautéed with recent spinach, then made faintly thick and mildly candy with chickpea/gram flour.
The soup is seasoned fantastically so that each spoonful has an exquisite – and never overwhelming – style of earthy, savory spinach.
I exploit an immersion blender to get the palak soup completely creamy, and the recipe is subsequently a one-pot dish as properly! Think about topping the soup with some coconut cream like I’ve accomplished to make it a fair more healthy vegan spinach soup.
I like to make varied Soup Recipes and they’re so comforting and more healthy throughout colder days. Sipping a mug of steaming sizzling soup is sort of a heat hug throughout winters.
Proceed studying for the total recipe and video for find out how to make my favourite, ridiculously easy, vivid and flavorful spinach soup from scratch!
How you can Make Palak Soup (Spinach Soup)
1. Utilizing a strainer or colander rinse some spinach leaves very properly in water a couple of occasions, eradicating any mud or soil clinging on the leaves or stems. Drain all of the water.
Keep in mind that if the stems are tender, you should use them. If the stems are stringy or fibrous, then solely use the leaves.
2. Then chop and set them apart. Measure and you will want 2 cups of chopped spinach.
3. Warmth 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of oil (any impartial flavored oil or olive oil) in a saucepan or kadai. Hold warmth to a low. Add bay leaf and sauté for two to three seconds.
Word that as an alternative of bay leaf you can too use tej patta (Indian bay leaf).
4. Then add ¼ teaspoon of chopped garlic cloves. Sauté on low warmth till the garlic is evenly browned. Watch out to not burn the garlic or it is going to style bitter.
5. Then add ¼ cup chopped onions. Sauté stirring typically till the onions are softened.
6. Add the two cups of chopped spinach. Stir to mix, and season with ¼ teaspoon black pepper and salt to style.
7. Now add 1 tablespoon besan or gram flour. It’s also possible to use chickpea flour or all-purpose flour or cornmeal as an alternative.
8. Mix and stir to combine properly.
Cook dinner Palak Soup Combination
9. Subsequent pour 2 cups of water into the pot. For a extra flavorful soup decide so as to add vegetable inventory as an alternative of water.
10. Carry the combination to a boil over medium-low to medium warmth.
11. After the soup combination involves a boil, simmer for 3 to 4 minutes on low to medium-low warmth.
12. Add ¼ teaspoon of floor cumin powder. Combine once more.
13. Change off the warmth and take away the pot from the burner, and let the soup combination cool barely.
14. Earlier than mixing take away the bay leaf from the soup combination.
Make Spinach Soup
15. As soon as the soup has cooled, use both an immersion blender or hand blender to mix till clean.
It’s also possible to use a standing blender or mixer-grinder and work in batches if wanted. Simply make certain the soup has dropped to a temperature that’s secure for no matter gear you employ.
If the soup appears to be like a bit thick, then add ¼ cup water and stir. The consistency ought to be clean, and barely skinny.
16. Flip the stovetop warmth again on to medium, and convey the palak soup to a delicate simmer. Cook dinner for one more 2 to three minutes.
Earlier than serving test the seasonings. Add extra salt and pepper if wanted.
17. Pour in soup bowls and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of coconut cream.
Sprinkle some crushed black pepper if wanted. A topping of bread croutons additionally tastes good with this soup.
18. Serve Spinach soup sizzling or heat as a starter or as a light-weight dinner with a aspect of any Vegetable Salad.
Add freshly cracked pepper, or a pinch of crushed purple pepper for some warmth. For a non-vegan model you can too grate on some paneer or different cheese, or add a dollop of low-fat cream earlier than serving. Make this a heartier soup by including cooked macaroni.
Get pleasure from a heat bowl of this soup with crusty bread or crackers for dipping. It’s nice to serve with a recent inexperienced salad for lunch or a light-weight dinner.
Sure, this soup is simple to organize in bigger portions! As-is this can serve 2 individuals. Double and even triple the recipe for nevertheless many servings you want.
Saved in an hermetic container leftover spinach soup with out the coconut cream will hold properly for as much as 2 days.
Please you’ll want to fee the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Spinach Soup Recipe (Palak Soup)
Spinach soup is a splendidly flavorful, comforting, and wholesome dish. It’s made with easy, healthful elements for a extremely nutritious soup.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook dinner Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 30 minutes
First rinse the spinach leaves very properly in water a couple of occasions. Then drain all of the water.
Chop the spinach leaves and hold apart. If the stems are tender, you should use these too.
Sautéing and cooking spinach soup combination
Warmth oil in a sauce pan. Add the bay leaf and sauté for two to three seconds
Now add the chopped garlic and sauté until the garlic is mild browned or browned. Do not burn the garlic.
Sauté the garlic on a low warmth. Add chopped onions and sauté until the onions are softened.
Add the chopped spinach. Stir and season with black pepper and salt.
Now add the besan or gram flour. Combine properly.
Pour 2 cups water and blend once more.
Carry the combination to a boil after which simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add floor cumin and stir properly.
Change off the warmth and let the soup combination cool a bit.
Making spinach soup
When the soup combination’s warmth has diminished or has grow to be heat, then mix with a hand blender or in a blender till clean.
Take away the bay leaf whereas mixing.
Test the seasonings and add some extra salt or pepper if required.
If the soup appears to be like thick, then add about ¼ cup water and stir.
Hold the properly blended soup again on the range for simmering for two to three minutes.
Serve spinach soup sizzling sprinkled with some freshly crushed black pepper and coconut cream.
- Use tender, recent spinach. It’s also possible to use child spinach or frozen spinach. For frozen spinach thaw the leaves first. As soon as the leaves are thawed, press and squeeze all the water from the leaves.
- If the stems are tender, you should use these. But when they’re fibrous or stringy, then discard the stems and use the leaves solely.
- For the oil you should use any impartial tasting oil and even olive oil. For a vegetarian spinach soup, you may add butter.
- This can be a skinny mild soup. To thicken the soup you could add some type of starch in it. Add some chopped potatoes – about ¼ to ⅓ cup to the soup combination. First add potatoes and water. Cook dinner till potatoes are nearly accomplished. Then add the spinach leaves and simmer till the leaves are wilted. It’s also possible to add some carrots to the soup however with carrots, the soup may have a candy style.
- This recipe is for 2 servings. However could be simply scaled as much as make an enormous batch.
- The soup stays good for 1 to 2 days within the fridge. It’s also possible to freeze for a couple of weeks with out the coconut cream.
- A topping of bread croutons additionally tastes good with this palak soup.
Spinach Soup Recipe (Palak Soup)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 238 Energy from Fats 207
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 7g44%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 13g
Vitamin A 2828IU57%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 10mg12%
Vitamin E 3mg20%
Vitamin Ok 158µg150%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 82µg21%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Spinach Soup recipe from the weblog archives first printed in July 2013 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source