This Tomato omelette is a vegetarian and vegan recipe of a scrumptious omelette that’s made with out eggs. A light-weight, crispy and protein wealthy Indian veg omelette made with gram flour (besan) or chickpea flour, tomatoes, onions, herbs and spices. Make this hearty and healthful plant based mostly omelette recipe that comes collectively underneath half-hour on your subsequent breakfast or brunch.
About Tomato Omelette
Earlier than you inform me that there is no such thing as a omelette with out eggs, let me let you know that this distinctive variant of an egg-free omelette is known as Tomato Omelette in Western India. It’s served in many of the vegetarian Udupi inns and is widespread with many individuals.
Additionally it is referred to as Tomato Cheela in Hindi and Tomato Dhirde in Marathi language which interprets to tomato pancakes. Principally this snack is a tangy variation of the Besan Chilla however popularly often called Tomato Omelette.
Right here a base batter of gram flour is made with tangy tomatoes, sharp onions and daring spices like inexperienced chillies and recent herbs like coriander (cilantro) to make a flavorful and shiny model of a plant based mostly vegan omelette.
Whereas the eating places don’t add leavening components to the batter, I do add baking powder which makes the feel gentle and a bit fluffy.
Kindly word that this vegan omelette doesn’t style like your egg omelettes. They’ve a nutty taste, due to the gram flour and the feel is crisp, gentle and delicate.
The tomatoes lend their faint umami taste and tangy style paired with the nutty gram flour and also you get a heat, savory and spiced omelette. Don’t worry should you do not need gram flour. You’ll be able to simply sub it with chickpea flour.
Rising up I’ve had these eggless omelets in lots of vegetarian eating places and I usually used to make these for our simple snacking throughout my faculty years.
Tomato omelette recipe will get carried out in a jiffy and with some complete wheat bread, you get to savor a wholesome in addition to nutritious breakfast. This vegetarian Indian omelette is a savior when I’m too busy throughout the morning breakfast hours.
It’s best served sizzling with some toasted complete meal bread or brown bread or white bread accompanied with a aspect of dipping sauces like coriander chutney or mint chutney or selfmade tomato ketchup.
These additionally make for a hearty breakfast or brunch. You can even decide to make sandwiches with them.
In India, a few of the vegetarian eating places serve a Club Sandwich that has this eggless omelette as one of many filling paired along with different stuffings. This membership sandwich is really delish and really filling.
Learn how to make Tomato Omelette
Prep and Make Batter
1. Finely chop onion, tomatoes, inexperienced chilli and ginger. Additionally chop the coriander leaves. Measure and hold all of the components prepared for making the tomato omelette.
2. In a mixing bowl take 1 cup gram flour or chickpea flour, ⅓ cup finely chopped onions and 1 cup of finely chopped tomatoes.
3. Subsequent add 1 teaspoon of finely chopped ginger, 3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) and 1 teaspoon finely chopped inexperienced chilies or ½ teaspoon of chopped serrano peppers.
Do chop all of the components finely. If chopped even in barely bigger chunks or items it turns into tough to unfold the eggless omelette on the skillet.
4. Add the next spices and seasonings:
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (floor turmeric)
- ¼ teaspoon purple chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch garam masala – optionally available
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) – optionally available and skip it to make a gluten-free model
- ⅛ teaspoon black salt – optionally available
- salt as required
5. Add water after which with a wired whisk start to combine all the things. The batter needs to be of medium consistency.
6. Combine and stir nicely. I used a wired whisk however you can even combine with a spoon.
7. If the batter is simply too skinny then add some gram flour and if the batter is simply too thick then dilute with little water. Additionally be certain there are not any lumps within the batter.
I used about 1 cup of water. Relying on the standard and texture of gram flour or chickpea flour you have to so as to add much less or extra water.
Make Eggless Omelette
8. Warmth a skillet or a frying pan on low to medium-low warmth. Smear some oil, about 2 to three teaspoons on the skillet.
Use a nicely seasoned skillet or frying pan in order that the omelettes don’t stick on it.
9. As soon as the pan is sizzling cut back the flame. Then with a big spoon pour the batter on the pan. Unfold it gently however not an excessive amount of with the again of the spoon.
The method is much like the best way we make Pancakes. You’ll be able to even rotate and tilt the pan.
11. Drizzle ½ to 1 teaspoon oil on the perimeters and prime of the tomato omelette.
12. Let one aspect of the omelette prepare dinner. You will note the batter firming up and getting cooked.
13. When the bottom is crisp, golden then flip and prepare dinner the second aspect.
14. Let the second aspect prepare dinner till you see golden or evenly caramelized or browned spots on the veggies. Flip once more a couple of instances if wanted and prepare dinner the vegan omelette until either side are crispy and golden.
15. Take away the omelette on a serving plate. Make all of the veg omelette in the identical method with the remaining batter.
Serve the Indian tomato omelette sizzling or heat with toasted brown bread or complete wheat bread or bread rolls accompanied with some coriander chutney or tomato ketchup or mint chutney.
- Add extra veggies: For a more healthy variation, embody some grated carrots, spring onions, finely chopped spinach or any wholesome greens. You’ll be able to even add grated zucchini or bottle gourd. However keep in mind when including greens or watery gourds, be conscious of including much less water whereas making the batter.
- Extra Flours: You can even add 1 to 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour or complete wheat flour or maize flour to the batter.
- Crispy texture: Add extra fats like oil or ghee or butter to get a crispy texture. Even utilizing a forged iron skillet or forged iron tawa helps to get a fair crispy texture.
- For a tacky style: Generally I add 1 tablespoon of dietary yeast to the batter for a cheese like style. You’ll be able to even stuff the omelette with grated cheddar cheese or paneer to make a vegetarian model of this Indian omelette.
- Stuffing: You can even stuff these wholesome omelettes with sautéed mushrooms or savory sautéed tofu for a extra hearty and filling breakfast.
- Black salt: Including black salt offers that gentle sulphur like taste to the tomato omelette recipe which is of course current in eggs. However be at liberty to omit black salt should you do not need it.
When you made this recipe, please you should definitely charge it within the recipe card under. Sign Up for my e-mail publication or you’ll be able to observe me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspirations.
Tomato Omelette Recipe
This Tomato omelette recipe is a scrumptious vegetarian and vegan omelette that’s made with out eggs. A light-weight, crispy and protein wealthy Indian veg omelette made with gram flour or chickpea flour, tomatoes, onions, herbs and spices.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 30 minutes
Making omelette combination
Finely chop tomatoes, onions, inexperienced chilli and ginger. Additionally chop the coriander leaves.
In a mixing bowl take gram flour, finely chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger and inexperienced chilies. Add the chopped coriander leaves.
Then add the bottom spices – asafoetida (hing), turmeric powder, purple chili powder, garam masala powder, black salt and salt as required. Add baking powder
Add water and with a wired whisk start to combine all the things. The batter needs to be of medium consistency and with none lumps.
Combine and stir nicely to make a medium consistency flowing batter. Relying on the standard and texture of gram flour, you’ll be able to add kind of water as wanted.
Making tomato omelette
Warmth a skillet, frying pan or a tawa. Unfold 2 to three teaspoons oil on the skillet. Maintain the warmth to a low or medium-low.
With a big spoon pour the batter on the pan.
Unfold it evenly with the again of the spoon. However don’t unfold an excessive amount of.
You’ll be able to even rotate and tilt the pan.
Drizzle ½ to 1 teaspoon oil on the perimeters and on prime of the omelette.
When the bottom is golden and crisp, flip and prepare dinner the second aspect.
Prepare dinner the second aspect till you see some golden or evenly caramelized spots on the veggies.
Flip once more if wanted and prepare dinner till each the edges are crispy and golden. Make remaining omelets with batter.
Serve eggless tomato omelette with bread or buns or dinner rolls with a aspect of dipping sauces like tomato ketchup, coriander chutney or mint chutney.
- Batter Consistency: Don’t make the batter too skinny or thick. It has a medium flowing consistency. If the batter is thick, add some water. Whether it is skinny, add some gram flour.
- Skillet: Keep in mind to prepare dinner these omelettes on a nicely seasoned skillet or frying pan in order that they don’t stick onto the pan.
- Extra Veggies: For a extra healthful breakfast, embody some grated carrots, spring onions, finely chopped spinach or any wholesome greens of your selection. You’ll be able to even add grated zucchini or bottle gourd (opo squash). However word that when including watery gourds or greens, you have to so as to add much less water to the batter.
- Extra Flours: For a lightweight variation in style and texture, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, complete wheat flour or maize flour to the batter.
- Crispy Texture: To get a crispy texture add extra fats like oil or ghee or butter when cooking these omelettes. Utilizing a forged iron skillet or forged iron tawa additionally helps to get a crispy texture.
- Extra Wholesome Variations: Add about 1 tablespoon of dietary yeast to the batter combine for a cheese like style. You can even add 1 tablespoon of floor flax meal to the batter. For a filling breakfast, stuff the omelette with grated cheddar cheese or paneer to make a vegetarian model of this Indian omelette. For a vegan model, stuff these wholesome omelettes with sautéed mushrooms or savory sautéed tofu for a extra healthful breakfast.
- Black Salt: Together with a little bit of black salt offers a lightweight sulphur like taste to the omelette that’s naturally current in eggs. However be at liberty to omit black salt should you do not need it.
Tomato Omelette Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 341 Energy from Fats 198
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 16g
Vitamin A 508IU10%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 9mg11%
Vitamin E 8mg53%
Vitamin Okay 10µg10%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 186µg47%
* % Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This tomato omelette recipe submit from the archives, initially revealed on March 2013 has been up to date and republished on 27 November 2021.