If you’re a fan of blended vegetable recipes from the Indian delicacies, this recipe submit is bound for you. And even if you’re not, then submit attempting this traditional Gujarati recipe, I’m positive you’ll be. This can be a tremendous scrumptious Surti Undhiyu Recipe, which doesn’t take a lot time as in comparison with the standard one. This Undhiyu is a Gujarati fashion blended vegetable dish, which is ready majorly with the seasonal recent produce that the winters in India deliver alongside. You possibly can’t actually not strive it, as when you do, you’ll miss out on one thing tasty in addition to healthful.
Undhiyu is a one-pot vegetable casserole dish that’s the hallmark of vegetarian delicacies within the Gujarati meals repertoire. Basically, an Undhiyu Recipe takes a number of time to get carried out and wishes a superb quantity of persistence. It is because, historically, the array of greens is cooked or fried in batches.
Nonetheless, this explicit Surti Undhiyu Recipe doesn’t take a lot time, as all of the veggies together with the Methi Muthia (fenugreek leaves dumplings) are steamed collectively in a stress cooker. Although, if you need, you can too cook dinner the greens in a big pot or pan. Thus, the strategy turns into straightforward and fewer time consuming.
Undhiyu is so referred to as as it’s derived from the Gujarati phrase ‘undhu,’ which suggests ‘the wrong way up.’ An genuine approach of cooking this complete dish is to cook dinner it in earthen pots, referred to as ‘matlu’ in Gujarati and ‘matka‘ in Hindi. The pots are sealed and positioned the wrong way up in a fireplace pit dug inside the bottom. The slow-cooking within the earthen pot provides the dish an earthy and rustic taste.
An Undhiyu Recipe is often bursting with flavors, aroma and textures due to the totally different veggies, a particular masala and the muthias (fenugreek dumplings) that go in its making. Not simply this, it’s also a hearty and nutritious dish. Particularly, this one, the place I’ve additionally added much less oil than what is mostly added.
Extra on Undhiyu Recipe
Undhiyu is a private favourite. I’ve had it many instances whereas residing in Mumbai. Top-of-the-line ones was at a Gujarati perform in Mithibai School, Juhu, Mumbai. Proper from the starters to the dessert, your complete Gujarati buffet there was completely gorgeous and spot on with flavors. We took small parts of every thing and had a stunning hearty meal.
The greens added in an Undhiyu Recipe are largely root veggies like purple yam (kand), common yam, candy potatoes and child potatoes. Others are small brinjals, uncooked or ripe bananas, ivy gourd and Indian flat beans (surti papdi). Contemporary pigeon peas (tuvar lilva) are additionally added.
Within the absence of recent pigeon peas, you can too add recent inexperienced peas or recent inexperienced chickpeas within the Undhiyu. One other lilva particular recipe is that this Gujarati Lilva Ni Kachori, which can also be well-known through the winter season.
This Undhiyu Recipe is vegan. If you wish to make a gluten-free model, skip asafoetida. You can even make a satvik or no onion, no garlic variation by skipping garlic. This recipe serves 10 to 12 servings. You possibly can simply halve the recipe.
Undhiyu is a winter delicacy, and is usually from Southern Gujarat. A few of the greens added in it are solely out there within the winter season.
There’s one other variation of the Undhiyu Recipe, which is made by the farmers of South Gujarat and is known as as ‘umbadiyu.’ The recipes and components are totally different, however all the parts are cooked in the wrong way up earthen pots solely.
One other dish from the Parsi delicacies referred to as ‘umberiu’ has a detailed resemblance to the Gujarati Undhiyu. The Parsi fashion umberiu can also be cooked in the same method. That’s, in an upside-down earthen pot in a fireplace pit.
Find out how to make Undhiyu
1. String and pod the surti papdi beans. I used half-half of surti papdi (hyacinth beans) and valor papdi (fava beans).
After stringing and halving them, rinse very nicely. Pressure and hold apart. I used a complete of 150 grams of beans which yielded 2 cups stringed and podded beans.
2. In a bowl of water, peel, rinse and place the opposite greens – 10 to 12 child potatoes, 1 medium candy potato, 1.5 to 2 cups chopped purple yam and eight to 10 small brinjals.
Word: Solely the higher stalk of the brinjals have been eliminated and so they haven’t been slit. You can even simply rinse and hold the brinjals apart.
Make Methi Muthia
3. Take 1 cup tightly packed finely chopped methi leaves and 1 cup gram flour (besan) in a mixing bowl.
4. Add the next components:
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon purple chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon sugar or as required
- ½ teaspoon salt or as required
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger and inexperienced chilli paste (or ½ inch peeled ginger + 1 to 2 inexperienced chilies – crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle)
5. Combine every thing evenly and hold apart coated for 10 to fifteen minutes.
6. Then, add 1 to 1.5 tablespoons water and blend nicely. Maintain the combination barely sticky, in order that the muthias stay delicate after cooking.
7. Apply some oil in your palms and form the muthias. Maintain apart, coated with a bowl or lid.
In order for you, you can too deep fry muthia. If fried, add lastly as soon as the undhiyu is cooked via. However then simmer for 4 to five minutes after including the fried methi muthia.
Make Inexperienced Masala Stuffing
8. Take ½ cup tightly packed grated recent coconut and three tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves or ¼ cup finely chopped coriander leaves in a mixing bowl.
9. In a mortar-pestle, crush to a paste – 1 to 1.5 inch peeled ginger, 8 to 10 small to medium garlic cloves and a pair of to three inexperienced chilies (about 1 to 2 teaspoons, chopped).
You can even crush or grind or mix all 3 of them collectively. If utilizing readymade paste, then add ½ tablespoon ginger paste, ½ tablespoon garlic paste and ½ tablespoon inexperienced chilli paste.
You can even add garlic chives, as a substitute of garlic.
10. Add the under listed components to the coconut and coriander leaves in a bowl.
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste or finely chopped inexperienced garlic chives
- ½ tablespoon inexperienced chili paste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon purple chili powder
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt or as wanted
11. Combine very nicely after which verify the style of the inexperienced masala. Add extra lemon juice, salt or sugar, if required.
I’ve saved all of the flavors balanced within the dish. However if you need, you’ll be able to have a extra spicy, candy or tangy style in Undhiyu.
12. On the bottom, give a crisscross slit to the brinjals and stuff the ready inexperienced masala in them.
In the identical approach, stuff the masala within the potatoes. In order for you, you’ll be able to stuff the masala within the uncooked bananas too.
Maintain the stuffed greens apart. Some inexperienced masala combination shall be left. Maintain this apart.
13. Warmth 4 to five tablespoons sesame oil or peanut oil in a 3 litre stress cooker. Add ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
Stir and fry the spices for just a few seconds or until they modify their colour. You can even use sunflower oil or safflower oil.
14. Then, add ⅛ teaspoon asafoetida (hing) and stir.
15. Now, add the stringed and podded beans. If you’re utilizing recent pigeon peas, you’ll be able to add them at this step.
16. Stir nicely. To protect the inexperienced colour of the beans, you’ll be able to add a pinch of baking soda. I didn’t add.
17. Now, add half a portion of the leftover inexperienced masala stuffing combination.
18. Stir and really nicely. Sauté on low to medium warmth for 3 minutes. Then, decrease the warmth and make a neat layer of the beans on the backside.
19. Then, place the chopped purple yam in a neat layer.
20. Then, make one other layer of chopped uncooked unripe bananas and candy potato.
21. Now, sprinkle ¼ of the inexperienced masala combination evenly. Don’t stir.
22. Make the following layer of stuffed brinjals and potatoes.
Prepare dinner Undhiyu
23. Add ½ cup water from the edges. Don’t stir.
24. Now, gently place the ready methi muthia in a layer. Sprinkle 2 to three pinches of salt throughout.
25. Cowl the stress cooker with its lid and stress cook dinner on medium to excessive warmth for two whistles or 8 to 10 minutes.
Do use a 3 litre stress cooker to make this recipe. If in case you have used a 4 or 5 litre stress cooker then modify the water and cooking time as wanted.
26. When the stress settles down naturally, take away the lid and gently combine every thing, with out breaking the stuffed greens and muthias.
27. Serve scorching Undhiyu with poori or roti. Whereas serving, if you need, you’ll be able to garnish with chopped coriander leaves or some grated coconut.
- Purple Yam: Instead of purple yam, use elephant foot yam or common yam.
- Small Eggplants: Instead of child eggplants or small brinjals, use medium sized brinjals. Don’t use large-sized eggplants.
- Pigeon Peas: Instead of recent pigeon peas (lilva), use recent inexperienced chickpeas, Edamame or inexperienced peas. You can even omit including any of the recent peas.
- Inexperienced Beans: Instead of surti papdi (hyacinth beans), use fava beans, or recent lima beans.
- Child Potatoes: Instead of child potatoes, use medium or large-sized potatoes. Peel and chop them. However don’t stuff them with the inexperienced stuffing masala.
- Garlic: Instead of garlic, use garlic chives. Finely chop the chives and add them to the inexperienced stuffing masala combination.
- Preserving the methi muthia combination barely sticky will lead to softer muthias, after cooking.
- Whereas shaping the methi muthias, grease your palms with some oil. You can even deep-fry the muthias when you choose.
- If you’re utilizing readymade paste, then add ½ tablespoon every of ginger paste, garlic paste and inexperienced chili paste.
- The lemon juice, salt and sugar within the inexperienced masala combination will be adjusted in keeping with your preferences.
- Along with stuffing the brinjals and potatoes with the inexperienced masala combination, you can too stuff the uncooked banana with it.
- You should utilize sesame oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil or safflower oil to cook dinner this dish.
- To protect the inexperienced colour of the beans, you’ll be able to add a pinch of cooking soda.
Please remember to price the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under when you’ve got made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Undhiyu Recipe | Surti Undhiyu
Undhiyu is a one pot vegetable casserole dish that’s the hallmark of Gujarati vegetarian delicacies. That is a straightforward Surti Undhiyu recipe that doesn’t take a lot time.
Prep Time 1 hr
Prepare dinner Time 15 minutes
Complete Time 1 hr 15 minutes
Veggies for undhiyu
For methi muthia
For inexperienced masala
For tempering undhiyu
Making ready veggies
String and pod the surti papdi beans. I used half-half of surti papdi (hyacinth beans) and valor papdi (fava beans).
After stringing them and halving them, rinse very nicely. Drain all of the water and put aside.
In a bowl of water, peel, rinse and place the opposite veggies – 10 to 12 child potatoes, 1 medium candy potato, 2 cups chopped purple yam. Additionally hold 8 to 10 small brinjals.
Word that the one the higher stalk of the brinjals have been eliminated and so they haven’t been slit. You can even simply rinse and hold the brinjals apart.
Making ready methi muthia
Take 1 cup tightly packed methi leaves, finely chopped and 1 cup besan or gram flour in a mixing bowl.
Add a pinch of baking soda, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon purple chili powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder and ½ tablespoon oil.
Subsequent add ¾ to 1 teaspoon sugar or add as required, ½ teaspoon salt or add as required and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
Merely combine every thing and hold apart coated for 10 to fifteen minutes.
Then add 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of water and blend very well. Maintain the combination barely sticky, in order that the methi muthia stays delicate after cooking.
- Apply some oil in your palms and form the muthias. Maintain apart coated with a bowl or lid. In order for you you can too deep fry methi muthia. If fried then add lastly as soon as the undhiyu is finished and simmer for 4 to five minutes.
Making inexperienced masala stuffing combination
Take the recent grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves in one other mixing bowl.
- In a mortar-pestle crush to a paste, 1 to 1.5 inch ginger, 8 to 10 garlic cloves and a pair of to three inexperienced chilies. You can even crush or grind all three of them collectively. If utilizing prepared paste then add ½ tablespoon ginger paste, ½ tablespoon garlic paste, ½ tablespoon inexperienced chili paste. You can even use finely chopped garlic chives as a substitute of garlic.
Add 2 tablespoons of white sesame seeds, ½ tablespoon ginger paste, ½ tablespoon garlic paste or chopped inexperienced garlic chives, ½ tablespoon inexperienced chili paste.
Additionally add ¼ to ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon purple chili powder, 3 teaspoon coriander powder, 2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
Season with 1 tablespoon sugar and ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt. Be happy to regulate these seasonings in keeping with your preferences.
Combine very nicely after which verify the style. Add extra lemon juice, salt or sugar if required.
From the bottom, give a criss cross slit to the small brinjals and stuff the masala in it.
In the identical approach additionally, stuff the masala within the child potatoes. In order for you you’ll be able to stuff the masala within the uncooked bananas additionally.
Maintain the stuffed veggies apart. Some stuffing masala shall be left. Maintain this apart.
Tempering and cooking undhiyu
Warmth 4 to five teaspoons sesame oil or peanut oil in a 3 litre stress cooker.
- Add ½ teaspoon carom seeds and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds. Stir and fry on low warmth till the carom seeds and cumin seeds crackle.You can even use sunflower oil or safflower oil.
Then add ⅛ teaspoon asafoetida/hing. Stir and blend on low warmth.
Now add the stringed and podded beans. If you’re utilizing recent pigeon peas, you’ll be able to add them at this step.
Combine and stir nicely. To protect the inexperienced colour of the beans you’ll be able to add a pinch of soda when you choose.
Now add half a portion of the leftover inexperienced stuffing masala.
Once more combine very nicely and sauté for 3 minutes on a low to medium warmth. Then make a neat layer of the beans on the backside.
Then place the chopped purple yam in a neat layer.
Then make one other layer of chopped uncooked bananas and candy potato.
Now sprinkle ¼ of the coconut masala evenly. Do not stir.
Make a subsequent layer of stuffed brinjals and potatoes.
Add ½ cup water from the edges. Do not stir or combine.
Now gently place the ready methi muthia in a layer. Sprinkle 2 to three pinches of salt throughout.
Cowl the stress cooker with its lid and stress cook dinner on a medium to excessive flame for two whistles or for 8 to 10 minutes.
When the stress settles down by itself, take away the lid and gently combine every thing with out breaking the stuffed veggies.
Whereas serving if you need, you’ll be able to garnish Surti Undhiyu with chopped coriander leaves or some grated coconut. Serve Undhiyu with poori or roti.
- Purple yam – elephant foot yam or common yam.
- Small brinjals – medium sized aubergines.
- Contemporary pigeon peas – recent inexperienced chickpeas, edamame beans, inexperienced peas.
- Surti papdi – fava beans or recent lima beans.
- Child potatoes – medium or massive potatoes
- Please use 3 litre stress cooker as talked about within the recipe. If you happen to use a 4 or 5 litre cooker, you will want to regulate the quantity of water and the cooking time.
- Undhiyu can be made in a pot. So add water as wanted to cook dinner the veggies.
- You possibly can omit including garlic when you choose.
- Be happy to regulate the seasonings and spices as you want.
Undhiyu Recipe | Surti Undhiyu
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 233 Energy from Fats 90
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 3g
Monounsaturated Fats 3g
Vitamin A 1512IU30%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 0.2mg10%
Vitamin C 10mg12%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 5µg5%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 93µg23%
* P.c Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Undhiyu Recipe from the weblog archives, first revealed in April 2015 has been republished and up to date on December 2022.Source