White Dhokla is a fermented and steamed bitter cake comprised of rice, black gram and bitter yogurt. Therefore, domestically referred to as Khatta Dhokla. It’s a tasty, nutritious, gluten-free snack from Gujarati delicacies – which has a vibrant and wealthy culinary heritage. On this submit, I share the recipe to make a light-weight and spongy White Dhokla.
About White Dhokla
It’s fairly troublesome to not point out concerning the quintessential snack dhokla, each time we’re talking about this aspect of the Indian subcontinent. However not only a widespread Gujarati snack, dhokla is likely one of the snacks that even I like to make in addition to eat.
The identical goes for my household too. The primary motive for that is that in addition to being delicious, this cushiony comfortable savory snack could be very wholesome as its steamed, and never fried.
The White Dhokla is likely one of the widespread variations in a conventional dhokla recipe. The dish owes to the white-colored rice or idli rava, husked off-white urad dal (black gram) and bitter curd for its identify.
The white colour of all these elements imparts an identical colour to the ultimate dish as properly. This batter is mildly spiced with ginger and inexperienced chilies.
Basically, the Khatta Dhokla will not be even tempered. So, mainly there are some spice powders which might be sprinkled on high of the dhokla earlier than steaming. As soon as carried out, it’s minimize into desired shapes and served heat or at room temperature.
These actually style wonderful with a aspect of chutneys like candy tamarind chutney, coriander chutney, mint chutney and even coconut chutney.
Two of the commonest dhokla varieties are this White Dhokla and the Khaman, which is the traditional steamed and tempered dhokla product of gram flour or besan. Due to which, it’s also yellow in colour.
Extra On This Recipe
This recipe of White Dhokla is a fermented model, thus takes a superb 6 to 7 hours in its preparation. Put up which, the steaming half simply takes about 15 to twenty minutes and the dhokla is able to be served.
These are gentle, porous, healthful and a straightforward to arrange steamed, savory rice and lentil muffins comprised of uncooked rice and husked, break up black gram a.ok.a urad dal. Nice as a gluten free snack.
Whereas residing in Mumbai, I’d usually purchase these from the Gujarati snacks or candy outlets. Typically, readymade Khatta Dhokla flour is used to make this explicit dhokla.
You may even get your rice and urad dal floor in a close-by mill. In the event you plan to make this dhokla flour, use 250 grams of urad dal for 1 kilogram of rice.
‘Khatta’ means ‘bitter.’ Since this dhokla has a slight bitter style in it, it’s also known as Khatta Dhokla. This sourness within the snack comes from the addition of the bitter curd or yogurt.
For a pronounced sourness, you’ll be able to even add some lemon juice. Nonetheless, if the curd could be very bitter, then no want for any lemon juice. There’s a trace of inexperienced chili and ginger on this White Dhokla batter. So, it’s calmly spiced.
You can evaluate white dhokla with idli, which can also be our favourite South Indian breakfast. Nonetheless, this dhokla is bitter, spongier and spiced in contrast to the standard idli.
Earlier than preserving this dhokla for steaming, I additionally sprinkle some black pepper powder, pink chili powder and toasted white sesame seeds on the batter. This brings in a pleasant crunchy texture too on this dhokla.
For this Khatta Dhokla recipe, I’ve used basmati rice. You should use any common rice and even idli rava. Serve it with a chutney of your selection. It tastes fab with this Papaya Sambharo or Cilantro Mint Chutney as properly.
The right way to make White Dhokla
1. First soak 1 cup common rice (or idli rava ) and ¼ cup urad dal (spilt and husked black gram) for 3 to 4 hours in sufficient water. Then, drain all of the water.
Add the soaked rice and urad dal in a grinder or a high-speed blender jar. Add ½ inch chopped ginger and ½ to 1 teaspoon chopped inexperienced chillies with 2 to three tablespoons water or as wanted.
Grind or mix the elements. If required, you’ll be able to add extra water. The batter must be thick like Idli Batter. It is best to be capable to really feel the tremendous grainy texture of rice within the batter.
When grinding, the urad dal will grind until clean and pasty, however the rice grains take extra time. A barely grainy texture of the rice within the batter is preferable.
Tip: You too can grind each the rice and the urad dal individually, should you choose.
2. Take the batter in a bowl. Add ½ cup bitter Curd (yogurt) and salt as required. Ensure that the curd or yogurt is thick and bitter to style.
If the curd has a skinny or runny consistency, the batter will find yourself grow to be skinny or very skinny, which can destroy the feel.
3. Combine totally and hold the batter to ferment in a single day or for six to 7 hours. The time taken for the batter to ferment will range with the temperature in your metropolis.
In scorching summer season months, the batter ferments rapidly, so hold to ferment for lesser hours. In cooler seasons, it would take extra time for the batter to ferment.
4. Beneath is the image of the fermented dhokla batter. It is best to see tiny air pockets within the batter with a faint bitter aroma.
In the event you really feel there is no such thing as a correct fermentation within the batter, hold it for some extra hours.
5. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the batter and stir. Addition of oil helps within the softness of the dhokla.
6. Add 1 teaspoon fruit salt (Eno) to the batter. You too can add ½ teaspoon baking soda as an alternative of fruit salt.
Be fast sufficient to stir and blend the fruit salt evenly within the batter.
7. Pour the batter in a greased steamer pan and sprinkle some black pepper powder, pink chili powder and roasted sesame seeds on high.
The quantity of black pepper powder, pink chili powder and roasted sesame seeds is as per your style.
8. Earlier than steaming, you’ll have to hold 2 to 2.5 cups water with a trivet in a big pan and let the water come to a boil.
Whenever you hold the steaming pan with the batter, the water ought to already be scorching and boiling. Take care when putting the batter pan on the trivet because the water and steam shall be extremely popular.
You too can use a pan like I’ve used that has aspect handles or use tongs to position the pan on the trivet.
Steam for 15 to twenty minutes or until a toothpick inserted within the dhokla comes out clear. As soon as carried out, let it cool utterly after which take away the dhokla gently on a serving plate.
9. Its not essential to mood White Dhokla. You may slice it into desired form and serve straightaway as a tea-time or night snack.
- You must grind the batter to a thick consistency, through which you’ll be able to really feel the tremendous grainy texture of the rice. You too can grind each the rice and urad dal individually, in order for you.
- Whereas grinding rice and urad dal, don’t add a whole lot of water. This may trigger the batter to have a skinny consistency which make the dhokla flat after steaming and destroy the spongy texture.
- A properly fermented Khatta Dhokla batter could have tiny air pockets in it and a faint bitter aroma. In the event you really feel the batter will not be properly fermented, then hold it for some extra hours.
- Including the oil to the batter will make the dhokla softer.
- Rather than fruit salt or Eno, you may as well add ½ teaspoon baking soda within the batter.
- If the curd or yogurt is much less bitter, you’ll be able to about ½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- The amount of pink chili powder, black pepper powder and sesame seeds could be as per your style.
- You needn’t mood this dhokla and serve it straightaway as a tea-time or night snack too.
- Making for extra individuals? Scale the recipe to double or triple the measurements.
Please make sure to price the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
White Dhokla | Khatta Dhokla
White Dhokla or Khatta dhokla is a fermented and steamed bitter cake comprised of rice, black gram (husked and break up urad dal) and bitter yogurt. It’s gentle, spongy and mildly spiced with ginger and inexperienced chilies.
Prep Time 7 hrs
Cook dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 7 hrs 25 minutes
Rinse the rice and urad dal a few occasions in water.
Soak them collectively or individually in sufficient water for 3 to 4 hours.
Drain them properly after which in a moist grinder, add the drained rice and urad dal.
Add chopped ginger and inexperienced chili additionally.
Grind the rice and urad dal including 2 to three tablespoons of water at intervals.
The batter must be thick just like the idli batter.
Whenever you really feel the batter, a bit of grainy texture of the bottom rice is preferable.
Pour the batter in a deep bowl or pan. Add the bitter yogurt and salt.
Stir properly and hold the batter in a heat place to ferment in a single day or for six to 7 hours.
Earlier than getting ready the dhoklas, grease the pan through which you’ll be making the dhokla with oil.
Add water in your steamer or pan or strain cooker and let the water come to a boil.
First add oil within the batter and stir properly.
Then add the fruit salt or baking soda to the batter.
Be fast sufficient to stir properly, in order that the fruit salt or baking soda is distributed uniformly within the batter.
Making white dhokla
Pour on a greased pan. Sprinkle with black pepper powder, pink chili powder and roasted sesame seeds.
Place the pan with the batter within the steamer or pot or strain cooker.
Cowl and steam for 20-25 minutes or extra until a toothpick inserted within the white dhokla comes out clear.
If utilizing a strain cooker, take away the vent weight (whistle) and canopy the lid tightly and steam for a similar period of time.
When carried out, take away and allow them to grow to be heat.
Slice and serve the white dhokla with coriander chutney or mint chutney or coconut chutney. It’s a good tea time snack.
The leftover could be refrigerated in an coated container. Whereas serving you’ll be able to steam within the On the spot pot for one minute or heat them in an microwave sprinkling just a few drops of water.
- Grind the rice and urad dal to a thick batter. Don’t add a whole lot of water as it will trigger the batter to grow to be skinny – which gained’t give a spongy texture when steamed.
- About ½ to 1 teaspoon of lemon juice can be added if the yogurt is much less bitter.
- The recipe could be doubled or tripled.
White Dhokla | Khatta Dhokla
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 326 Energy from Fats 36
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.3g
Monounsaturated Fats 2g
Ldl cholesterol 5mg2%
Vitamin A 92IU2%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 0.1mg5%
Vitamin B12 0.1µg2%
Vitamin C 3mg4%
Vitamin D 0.04µg0%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 8µg2%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This White Dhokla recipe from the archives first printed on September 2013 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.Source